[SOLVED] Phone Screen Black Unless you adjust brightness

Misf0rtune

Reputable
Aug 10, 2017
This is going to be a little tough to explain...

Starting from the beginning -- I have a Samsung Galaxy S9. A couple months ago, there was a software update which I went ahead, downloaded and tried to install. During the installation, the phone got very hot and the screen turned black with a green stripe at the top. I waited a long while before the phone eventually restarted. When it did, the screen had a yellow undertone to it, similar to the blue light filter feature. When it loaded in, the screen turned black with the green stripe, so I hard reset the phone and it came back normally....

It took a while for me to realize the things that made my phone work or not work - I tinkered with the blue light filter, I turned off adaptive brightness, display settings etc etc. I realized it usually happened when my phone was in the sun. The phone would have stripes across it and would be difficult to see or it would turn fully black with a green line at the top. If I could navigate well enough, even though I couldnt see what was on the phone, I could still turn down the brightness to the lowest setting to make it work. Sometimes it needed the highest brightness to work. (In other words, sometimes high brightness makes it work, low brightness makes it work -- and sometimes it works in between).

At the current moment, I can use it in any brightness and the screen shows crystal clear. No lines, no yellow undertones. If I go outside, the screen may give trouble and give me a black screen for a while until I can tinker with the brightness settings... When this does happen, the screen gets very hot and the battery drain is horrible...

Is there any solution at all to this problem? Is it possible that it is software and not hardware related since when indoors, the screen appears to work perfectly fine?

Thanks for all assistance..
-nell

Reactions: Nmopt
Solution
I think your screen fried or something internally broke.

Try this:
-Factory reset your phone.
-Install a new Android Version

If nothing works, then it's indeed a hardware related issue.

Let me know if you need more help

Nmopt

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I think your screen fried or something internally broke.

Try this:
-Factory reset your phone.
-Install a new Android Version

If nothing works, then it's indeed a hardware related issue.

Let me know if you need more help

Solution

Yonose

Distinguished
As Nmopt said, try a factory reset.

As you got a S9 check if you still have a warranty on your phone, then you can get your phone fixed for free, which is nice.
If not, do you have a insurance on your phone that you can use?