[SOLVED] Ping issues

Jarm__

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2017
So the past few months I've been having issues with my ping like whatever game I'll be playing on my pc for example CSGO, Rocket League, Minecraft (yesterday I had 800 ping), etc I have at least 130+ms ping with a 20-50% packet loss (On a European server). At first I thought it was my motherboard because my previous I/O chipset on it died out so I bought a new one which is like a week old (ASUS TUF GAMING B550 - PLUS), but it still hasn't fixed the issue. I tried turning off my firewall, installing new drivers, pinging my router which gives me 1ms ping, I tried resetting my router incase the router table is full, I tried directly plugging it into the modem that my ISP gave me, I pinged google servers and DNS which gave me a 20ms ping, but whenever I play a game my ping goes crazy and unplayable which is weird because I never had this issue. So I contacted my ISP and they constantly say that it's not an issue on their end and they constantly bring up google servers telling me if I ping the google servers then everything should be fine. Regardless I have a 120+ ping with a 50% packet loss on a European server. I usually had 100 ms ping if I went on a USA server.. Do you guys have any idea what the issue might be or is my ISP being low-ball?

Thanks in advance for the help and Happy New Years to you all!

Solution
The ISP is actually very correct. If you ping google then your connection from your house and through the ISP network to google is perfect. There is some issue in some other ISP in a different path going to the game server.

So the first issue is many games lie about ping times. If the games was really busy in some video frame processing and was delayed in looking at the buffer where the network ping stuff is kept it would tell blame the network even though the data was sitting there waiting to be read.

You need to ping the actual game servers or a router as close to the game server that will respond if they block ping to the game server themselves.

Run tracert to the game server IP and ping various hops in the trace. You can...
The ISP is actually very correct. If you ping google then your connection from your house and through the ISP network to google is perfect. There is some issue in some other ISP in a different path going to the game server.

So the first issue is many games lie about ping times. If the games was really busy in some video frame processing and was delayed in looking at the buffer where the network ping stuff is kept it would tell blame the network even though the data was sitting there waiting to be read.

You need to ping the actual game servers or a router as close to the game server that will respond if they block ping to the game server themselves.

Run tracert to the game server IP and ping various hops in the trace. You can do the same to google to compare. What you will likely find is that the problem is outside your ISP.

There is little you can do to fix a actual network problem like this. There are some so called "gaming" vpn services that might help but it is very hit and miss since your path to these services may also pass through problem connections.

In many cases though this is some problem with the game or some setting in the video drivers causing this and not a real network problem.

Solution
Another thought. Asus is really bad about bundling bloatware with their motherboards. Make sure you uninstall what ever they currently call their "gamer" priority stuff. It is based on something called CFOSspeed that just causes issues and really does nothing.
Also your motherboard uses 2.5g chipset. These have been very unstable for people. Not sure why we still see issues over a year after these started to come to the market. Try the newest drivers directly from realtek site.

Jarm__

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks for your reply!

What bothers me is what does google have to do with my gaming ping issues? A few months ago I had no issues at all with pings only recently it constantly kept on getting worse. If I play CSGO and I ping the German server which is closest to me then it gives me a 126ping with a 30-50% packet loss. It's as if I'm living in the USA and trying to connect to a server at the other side of the world. If a gaming VPN would probably fix my issue then I could check out ExitLag and see if it helps me. Is it possible for a video card (I donno if writing my pc specs would give some kind of more insight) setting/driver to cause such a ruckus? Only drivers I honestly got for my motherboard was the chipset and the LAN Driver but I suppose I can try to uninstall it and download the latest one off the Realtek website.

I really don't know on the driver issue everything I own does not have 2.5g. You would think the realtek site would give you a clue. It seems very unclear which drivers work best but I suspect that is because there have been multiple patches that fix one thing and break another.

That is exactly the issue, your ping to google do not really have anything to do with the game company ping. They likely follow a different path in the internet. So the path to google is fine but the path the game company is not. This would be like saying I drive to the store and it is fine but driving to work I get traffic jams.
Getting a new car or repaving your driveway will not fix this issue becuase this part of the path is the exactly the same. It is where the paths are different that is the cause. You can do nothing at all about the paths.

Again make sure you do not have asus bloatware. From what i can tell they are calling it turbolan on your motherboard. They sneak this in unless you are very careful to uncheck it when you are installing the motherboard drivers.