Mechman330

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Hello, I am getting very large ping spikes (2000+ms) every 10 seconds or so as a pattern. I have no idea what has started causing this. I noticed it only happening the past few weeks and I cannot use anything that requires a steady internet connection as it will lag and by the time it recovers, another spike happens and it continues the cycle.

I pinged my router and got no issues there ~1-2ms or so constant.
I pinged my ISP and here was the result.

As seen on the ping to the ISP, after every 10 pings it spikes way high. I don't know what is causing such high constant ping spikes, can anyone help? I am using a EDUP 600mb/s dual band USB WiFi adapter for my WiFi, I've been using this particular adapter for almost a year now and it has functioned well up until now. Recently ran AV and malwarebytes tests as well as updating graphics drivers to see if any of those helped and no luck.

PC specs:
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
Processor: AMD FX-8350 eight-core
Graphics card: GTX 1060 3gb
Power Supply: 750W
RAM: Avexir Core series (1600 speed) 2 x 8gb (16gb)

Edit: I tested the ping at peak hours with the most people using the WiFi and when no one was using it and the ping spikes occurred in both situations.

Last edited:

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I would run a tracert command which follows your network path to the ISP and see where the disruption occurs.

Assuming you can access your routers settings you could also put in your own DNS. You can run a DNS Benchmark to see what is right for your area but, in my experience 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 have been great. Those servers are hosted by Cloudflare. I have charter, and was having similar but not as drastic ping spikes and changing the DNS helped a lot.

Mechman330

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
I would run a tracert command which follows your network path to the ISP and see where the disruption occurs.

Assuming you can access your routers settings you could also put in your own DNS. You can run a DNS Benchmark to see what is right for your area but, in my experience 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 have been great. Those servers are hosted by Cloudflare. I have charter, and was having similar but not as drastic ping spikes and changing the DNS helped a lot.
So I tried changing that and it did not work. However, I disabled the Wi-Fi searching function on my adapter and that fixed the issue entirely so that now its a consistent 15-20ms with no more spikes. I'm not sure why that caused the issue so suddenly, does anyone perhaps know a reason for that?

Reactions: bfcallan