Pirate Party Posts Manifesto Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I first thought this was going to be something completely outrageous, but they actually make some good well thought points without being over the top.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I like this... a LOT!

I thought I was going to find something insane but instead have found something resembling sanity instead.

Wish I could vote for 'em...

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Next up...EU declares that MS provide a torrent downloader selection screen, that is after you navigate past the "selection screen" selection screen.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I like the vast majority of their manifesto, especially format shifting, protection from intrusion, and paying for internet speeds you actually receive. However, I am not a huge fan of the "right" to share files. The biggest problem with piracy is not people counterfeiting or profiting off of the original artist; it is the artist losing money because people are sharing it for free. Giving people "The right to share files provided no money changes hands" is crazy. Seriously, who would actually buy any music, games, or movies if you had the right to share it for free? Yes, many up and coming artists might need to be shared, but I feel like that is up to the artist, not us. It isn't illegal to share something if the artist lets people do it...

Overall a pretty cool job they are doing. I love all the patent changes they propose - it's about time! Now if we can get this started in the USA...

G

If they had picked a more sensible name like the "fair use party" they could have got a lot more votes from many people who are just sick of the DRM Nazis. But with an inflammatory name like the Pirate Party they'll be regarded as an irrelevant joke.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]anon34567[/nom]If they had picked a more sensible name like the "fair use party" they could have got a lot more votes from many people who are just sick of the DRM Nazis. But with an inflammatory name like the Pirate Party they'll be regarded as an irrelevant joke.[/citation]
+1 my friend. I really like their manifesto but that name is going to kill them. I'd also be interested to see what they're planning in areas other than technology.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I like a lot of their ideas, but anon34567 has it down. That name is going to kill them because most people won't read the manifesto and will jump right to conclusions. (I know i did...)

G

They would have my vote if i lived int he UK.

I'm all for protecting peoples work, but our copyright laws have gotten out of hand.

Things like not being able to copy a cd you paid for onto a different device then a cd player and then play it from there should not be illegal.

Just because you buy a new device shouldn't mean you have to re buy all your music, or movies, etc.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hehe.
Next lets make the Marijuana party and have them "not support drugs" but be a drug friendly party by eliminating the ways that smoking pot is detected and by eliminating the possibility of anyone punishing pot smokers.
But don't forget, the Marijuana party is not for the smoking of pot!

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
...artists should be the only people making money for their work...
As someone working in the tech industry I find this to be the stupidest belief and party platform every to be devised. Why on gods green earth would anyone want to do anything in any industry if the already bloated fish could gobble up the idea and use it without compensating the originator? There is no drive for innovation, only theft if such an idea every made it into law. What do they want next, a political system that determines what you'll wear, be paid, and job classification from birth?

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]Your mother is an old lame joke.[/citation]

hey I lol'ed and if anything your mother is an older joke then chuck norris though maybe not Mr T... that succahs old.

Copyright laws are in desperate need of an overhaul pretty much everywhere. I'm glad to see some organization on this level bringing attention to it.
[citation][nom]anon34567[/nom]If they had picked a more sensible name like the "fair use party" they could have got a lot more votes from many people who are just sick of the DRM Nazis. But with an inflammatory name like the Pirate Party they'll be regarded as an irrelevant joke.[/citation]

Probably done on purpose to draw people's attention to the subject. Your average consumer has never heard this side of the argument or are even aware that there is another side to the copyright laws. They hear nothing but what the large manufactures put into the news about how they are losing money and with a name like pirate party people will go look them up to make sure it isn't a joke. Well that and everyone knows Pirates are totally cooler then ninja's.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
It depends on the country. For example "hopelessly out of date copyright law" in Spain and Poland has most of it. Any how... YAY!! More right for the Brits!!!

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I love every single point in their manifesto :D. But the phrase "fair and balanced" has left a bad taste in my mouth ever since Fox "News" made a joke out of it.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
putting it on paper is one thing, putting in terms of legal verbiage is something else. I like what they are saying but some will look at it and say tomato while other will say tamato.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
The internet speed thing sounds good, but doesn't work out practically. If you are paying for a 6Mbps you are likely getting a 6Mbps connection, but that doesn't mean the source and the routers in between are giving it to you at that speed. One thing that does anger me is data filtering. I pay for a connection for data, the packets of data technically all the same no matter where I get them or what they connect to on my end. If I want to run my own web server or game server I should be able to.

I have a 18Mbps connection and if I'm downloading from some place like Microsoft it maxes my connection out, but most sites rarely get over 10Mpbs. This is obviously not the fault of my service provider. If in the UK they are getting limiters put on their data that is a different issue and should be addressed.

The nice thing about having the bandwidth is that I have multiple users at my house. My wife and kids can be playing games, watching movies, and other things while not slowing my connection down because the source was already maxed out.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]putting it on paper is one thing, putting in terms of legal verbiage is something else. I like what they are saying but some will look at it and say tomato while other will say tamato.[/citation]
It's actually quite easy. First you define what a piece is. Then define authors rights. Then you give users 'fair use' right. Finish with some exceptions for software, schools, tv and audio shops and you've got a bill. The key is to separate the content from the medium.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
So...these guys want to shorten copyright protection. I get the feeling they've never created any copyright material, be it software, music, or whatever.

Honestly, there are some interesting points here, I don't want to bash these guys because there intentions are mostly good, even if the manifesto is all over the place (drug patents? huh?).

I guess the bottom line is this: the first line of the shortened manifesto states "The right to share files provided no money changes hands." I CANNOT get behind this if it means that someone should be allowed to go to Pirate Bay and download Mass Effect 2 without paying for it. Because if it is, it's total crap. I know, know -- downloading a game isn't technically stealing because you're not taking the game away from someone else. But it's basically a theft of service -- you're taking something without paying for it.

And if we keep taking games, music, movies etc. without paying for them, then there will be no incentive for people who create that content to keep doing so. In other words, when PC gaming goes to complete sh*t in five years, we'll have no one to blame but ourselves -- well, maybe Ubisoft and SecuROM too. But mostly it will be on the folks that were torrented like crazy.

afciscoguy

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
IMO, they are not serious, as calling yourself "The Pirate Party" is great for quick publicity however will never hold water in formal elections... That and "manifesto" sounds terrorist derived.

Above all else, love the point they are driving at, hopefully the UK can recapture and gain some of the rights we've quickly thrown away (needing an warrant to wiretap) in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS