Jan 11, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm at a loss of how to fix this problem, I can usually solve any pc issues I come across but this one I can't get rid of for the life of me. It started randomly a few months ago and as far as I know I didn't install anything new or have any major software changes.

The problem I am having is that when I exit from a game running in full screen Windows seems to have a meltdown and run extremely slowly. If I try to open task manager or right click on anything that brings up the right mouse button's context menu the text is flickering/flashing really fast. I know it's started doing it when I see the ENG language button in the taskbar flickering.
My mouse cursor turns grey (instead of the usual white) and if I try to open a folder it either refuses to show the contents completely or it'll take anything up to 5 minutes to show anything. Opening the start menu is incredibly slow and getting the computer to just register a mouse button click takes about 5 seconds.

From what I can gather it seems to only happen when exiting from a game I have been playing in full screen. I think it also happened once when exiting from Power DVD when I had finished watching a movie. It will also happen if I try to alt+tab from a game. I have found out that I can get around restarting the pc by signing out of windows and then back in again, but to rid myself of the text box flickering and the slow down I generally have to fully restart my pc.
I have been looking for weeks on end for a solution to this problem. I uninstalled my GPU and reinstalled it from scratch. I've run multiple malware and virus scanners. I reinstalled windows (keeping my files etc) but this didn't work so I did a fresh install of windows - this seemed to work until I installed my oculus rift and then the problem started again. I uninstalled the rift but the problem remains so I don't think that is the problem, also I have had the computer running fine for 3 years with the rift installed so I don't see why it would start causing problems all of a sudden.

I searched online for people having similar problems and I came across people saying to end the process called Windows Shell Experience Host, doing so would apparently stop the flickering in their cases - this doesn't seem to help at all. I've tried searching for people having this issue with Steam but nothing seems to help - I don't think it's to do with Steam as the problem still happens after exiting from Minecraft (windows store game) and Power DVD (third party app running 4k videos in hdr)
I watch 4k videos through Power DVD as my pc is plugged into my 4k tv. I am using the 4096x2160 resolution at 60hz and I've tried using 3840x2160 at 60hz and 59hz and that doesn't help either. I don't think it's anything to do with the gpu (gtx1080ti) or the hdmi cable because playing games along with everything other than text boxes like the task manager are completely fine, it's just text boxes, like when you right click etc.
When I try to play a 4k video in Power DVD it asks me if i want to switch to full screen because it can only display HDR videos that way, Power DVD has frozen my pc occasionally because i have to go back and forth between the windowed mode and full screen mode in order to get it to display correctly, but because it's switching the hdr on and off it's effectively resetting the resolution over and over and for some reason this has made my pc hang a couple of times and become completely unresponsive. I'm unsure if this program is the culprit as it is one of the more recent things I installed over the last few months, the problem can occur without Power DVD even running though so I don't know how that could be the issue?

So basically I've tried everything from re-installing all devices, fully reinstalling windows, uninstalling all peripherals like my vr headset, closing various things in task manager (which is difficult when it flickers like crazy), running games in borderless window mode, making sure all drivers and windows updates are up to date, scanning my pc for problems etc - please help me, this is making me miserable trying to fix it.

View: https://vimeo.com/381864347

Hopefully the video works, if not you can get to it by going to the video section of my vimeo account apparently. It shows you an example of the task manager flickering, but its exactly the same thing with any context menu. Notice how nothing else flickers, only the text windows. Browser tabs, browser windows, games and programs are fine, it's just windows text boxes.

If anyone can sort this out for me you'll be an absolute legend. Thank you for taking the time to read up on my problem.

Jan 11, 2020
Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K7
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7Ghz
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz
GPU - GTX 1080 TI
PSU - Corsair 750W RM750X
CPU Cooler - Corsair H150i Pro
Monitor - Samsung 65" UHD 4K tv
OS - Windows 10 Pro X64

I built the pc myself and have had no problems for two years