[SOLVED] Please help, my PC turns on then off...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 31, 2019
Hello all...

I just recently built a new PC and it has problem turning on and off RANDOMELY

I did some googling and read some threads including ones here, but they all seem to be about cases where it doesn't turn on at all.

For me, it's random and intermittent. about 4/5 times, it turns on, and once it's on, it runs totally fine, and doesn't turn off on its own.

I just don't understand why in that 1/5 times it turns on and then off. I'm scared that there's some malfunctioning parts or short in there somewhere that's going to roast my parts and make it non-functional......

I already tried cleaning the GPU and Memory(RAM) metal parts with an eraser, and tested my memory with memtest86 which showed no error after over 50 minutes, tried prime95 too, but I had to stop prematurely since I don't have enough cooler fans to keep the temperature under control.

I got so scared, I got a different PSU and it still has the problem....so less likely it's the PSU....

as puzzled and clueless as I am at this point, I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with either the way I assembled the parts, or something wrong with the case? especially the power switch and its cable?

Here's a video of what happens...sorry it's little dark and hard to see.

Memtest86 pic View: https://imgur.com/uMR6mwO

View: https://youtu.be/ZxEaqFoFGWY

My spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo b450 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Memory Samsung 21300 16gb
GPU MSI gtx 1660 Ventus XS (not ti)
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g
PSU Seasonic Focus Gold 650W

I also noticed that when the turn off happens, the eagle picture on the mobo stays lit up like
View: https://youtu.be/4wj5RgH6ZAs
, not sure what that means

Last edited:
Solution
After you follow all of the steps given above, to include a Malware scan using first Adwcleaner (right click & run as Administrator) then clean anything found, it's a fast scan. Then install Malwarebytes (free version, 14 day Premium Trial) & after updating, run a full (Custom) scan. Be sure to check the option to scan for rootkits.

Also, when removing the hardware from the computer for testing, did you remove and reseat the CPU? Sometimes these may not be seated perfectly & cause memory errors. As others has mentioned, it's best to build the PC on top of it's box when there's errors that can't be otherwise found & by that, this will mean removing & reinstalling every component, one by one. I always assemble as much of the PC as...
Nov 15, 2018
could be your RAM... RYZEN gets a stiffy over 3000+mhz ram, in the RYZEN systems that Ive built, both system are on 3200mhz no issues, but it does seem like it there might be an issue with either the BIOS or the RAM. BIOS: pull battery and then find the bios jumper (see manual). Ram: try 3000 mhz or better and / or pull the sticks; make sure to power off fully (power switch and pull the power cord); then start placing a single stick in the slots.

Jul 31, 2019
If you have not tried it yet. Try different ram or Maybe your PSU is not giving enough electricty to some of components. Try taking off your gpu and booting through intigrated graphics. I had similar issue and I changed ram everything was ok. And r u geting any error codes?

I have a 650W Seasonic Focus Gold so it should be enough electricity. My previous EVGA PSU had the same problem, so it seems to be something else. I don't believe my CPU has an integrated graphics. I don't know how the error codes work, where am I supposed to see that?

Jul 31, 2019
could be your RAM... RYZEN gets a stiffy over 3000+mhz ram, in the RYZEN systems that Ive built, both system are on 3200mhz no issues, but it does seem like it there might be an issue with either the BIOS or the RAM. BIOS: pull battery and then find the bios jumper (see manual). Ram: try 3000 mhz or better and / or pull the sticks; make sure to power off fully (power switch and pull the power cord); then start placing a single stick in the slots.

I will have to look up how to remove the mobo battery and what bios jumper means.....I believe my ram is 2666mhz

Jul 31, 2019
so many members are suggesting to do bios jumper or pull mobo battery, sounds like they do the same thing; reset CMOS; does that delete my windows and stored data in my SSD or HDD? do I need to back up any data?

Resetting cmos just resets you mobo to default settings.
If it does do any thing to the drives you've had bigger problems all along with the mobo period.

You can also reset cmos by:
With computer off unplug power cord from the power source or from the back of psu.
Then press and hold the power button for 10-15 secs.
Then plug back in and reboot.

counter8

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
so many members are suggesting to do bios jumper or pull mobo battery, sounds like they do the same thing; reset CMOS; does that delete my windows and stored data in my SSD or HDD? do I need to back up any data?
Yeah, It is the same thing with battery and jumper. It resets your CMOS. But I suggest you to do it with battery, jumper can be a little tricky. Take out the battery so you are 100% sure that you clear CMOS. You dont need to backup anything it wont delete any of your data. It will just reset BIOS setting so you will need to setup time and date. Dont forget one very important thing, when you take out battery wait atleast 10 minutes before you put it back so CMOS have time to clear. Dont worry, nothing bad can happen. :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
Hello all...

I just recently built a new PC and it has problem turning on and off RANDOMELY

I did some googling and read some threads including ones here, but they all seem to be about cases where it doesn't turn on at all.

For me, it's random and intermittent. about 4/5 times, it turns on, and once it's on, it runs totally fine, and doesn't turn off on its own.

I just don't understand why in that 1/5 times it turns on and then off. I'm scared that there's some malfunctioning parts or short in there somewhere that's going to roast my parts and make it non-functional......

I already tried cleaning the GPU and Memory(RAM) metal parts with an eraser, and tested my memory with memtest86 which showed no error after over 50 minutes, tried prime95 too, but I had to stop prematurely since I don't have enough cooler fans to keep the temperature under control.

I got so scared, I got a different PSU and it still has the problem....so less likely it's the PSU....

as puzzled and clueless as I am at this point, I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with either the way I assembled the parts, or something wrong with the case? especially the power switch and its cable?

Here's a video of what happens...sorry it's little dark and hard to see.

Memtest86 pic View: https://imgur.com/uMR6mwO

View: https://youtu.be/ZxEaqFoFGWY

My spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g

I also noticed that when the turn off happens, the eagle picture on the mobo stays lit up like
View: https://youtu.be/4wj5RgH6ZAs
, not sure what that means

Aug 2, 2019
if you look at your bottom right hand side of mobo there is a bios boot trouble area. it is four led sitting next to 4 boxes labeling them as cpu, vga, memory, boot. those will tell you what is causing it to not boot properly.

Aug 2, 2019
resetting cmos only sets your bios back to original stock bios( the one it had from factory. It may work , but if you haven't been fooling with anything in bios it may not work. It will not do anything to your windows 10 OS. that is on your storage drive.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
How far along in the boot process does it get when it dies? Does it make it far enough such that some entries might make it in to event viewer and shed some light on what happened? After a power loss and then a subsequent successful boot check event viewer to see if anything weird shows up in there

Reactions: solo_2101
Jul 31, 2019
Resetting cmos just resets you mobo to default settings.
If it does do any thing to the drives you've had bigger problems all along with the mobo period.

You can also reset cmos by:
With computer off unplug power cord from the power source or from the back of psu.
Then press and hold the power button for 10-15 secs.
Then plug back in and reboot.

I didn't know you can reset cmos by just pressing power button for a long time without the psu cord

Aug 2, 2019
I haven't but I would have to do many reboot trials to feel confident about it

After updating the BIOS if you could let us all know the system spec you have... The details you put up on Wednesday wasn't enough info to question compatibility just because something runs for a few mins doesn't mean 'it works' ... not really a fan of https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S97880-M475904.727265vsS0-M?tab=RAM but its helped me out a few times... check your build...

Jul 31, 2019
After updating the BIOS if you could let us all know the system spec you have... The details you put up on Wednesday wasn't enough info to question compatibility just because something runs for a few mins doesn't mean 'it works' ... not really a fan of https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S97880-M475904.727265vsS0-M?tab=RAM but its helped me out a few times... check your build...

My system spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g

I can't run that website since it doesn't have my ram as the option....do you suggest I update the BIOS now? I just reset CMOS by removing battery for like 20 minutes and then putting it back in. My pc works for hours just fine once it boots. It's just that it fails to boot like 1/5 times on average.

Aug 2, 2019
My system spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g

I can't run that website since it doesn't have my ram as the option....do you suggest I update the BIOS now? I just reset CMOS by removing battery for like 20 minutes and then putting it back in. My pc works for hours just fine once it boots. It's just that it fails to boot like 1/5 times on average.
Hi - yes like I said just because it starts up - doesn't mean it's o.k... (i.e stable) if your RAM isn't on the compatibility list - how do you know for sure that the ram you are trying to use IS compatible?

Aug 2, 2019
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
My memory is DDR4. the website you linked doesn't have my motherboard either....
Yes - it was an example :-D O.K ...

so gigabyte doesn't list your memory as being compatible... and the system builder site doesn't either ... so what operating system and version do you have?

if you have win 10 - check the memory graph in the resource monitor - if the memory is all the way up , and the cpu graph is all the way low - YOU KNOW for sure is a memory issue

The link you sent says..."
  • Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
  • Total Capacity: 16GB
  • Form Factor: 288PIN DIMM
  • Specs: DDR4 PC4-21300 ,CL=19 ,Unbuffered ,NON-ECC ,DDR4-2666 ,1.2V
  • Speed: 2666 MHz
  • Lifetime warranty
"

where it says MAKES SURE THIS FITS ...did it? :oops::oops:

Last edited: