PLEASE HELP! When Installing My GTX 960, No Signal Found on my monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
So I got a gtx 960 strix 4 gb and I installed it correctly with the 6 pin connected. I plug in it into my monitor (via VGA with the VGA-DVI converter) and power the system, no post beeps and every fan is spinning EVEN the video card's. However the monitor does not get a signal. (Btw my old video card recognizes the monitor but not the new one). Can someone please help me fix this problem, Thanks!

New Video Card:
http://

My PC (Switching the GTX 645):

Solution
Wow this thread is off the rails.

First off drivers don't matter, if you don't even see the BIOS then its a hardware problem.

Secondly, that PSU is more than fine, and I saw you asked about this in the HP forums, they all have no clue what they are talking about.

Third you don't need to disable onboard graphics, thats a waste of time, its already disabled and even if it wasn't you had a GPU in there before. Don't remove those tabs, you don't need to.

Fourth BadActors suggestion is likely the issue, did you follow that exactly?

And finally, I don't like those converter cables, many times they are the source of the problem, can you use an HDMI or anything else to make a direct connection to your monitor or another monitor?

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
It's possible the Power Supply does not have enough juice to start the GPU, but your system has 460 which should be enough...

If no POST I would recommend making sure all power connections (CPU, ATX, GPU) are all firmly in place. If they are, proceed to CMOS reset. Either remove power cable and take out motherboard battery for 5 minutes or move CMOS_Clear jumper to clear CMOS.

Then try to boot.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

The fans always are maxed at startup of a P.C, they back down right away when a response is received from POST.

The card is not responding for some reason, either not enough power is being sent to it, the card is dead, or the system's CMOS needs to be reset in order to accept the new card.

The CMOS is the memory of the BIOS. The BIOS controls all of your computers settings before the O/S. Sometimes resetting the BIOS is needed when you make a drastic hardware change. Not usually for a GPU, but I have seen it needed.

When a computer starts up, it's not under full load. Load is very very small, minimal; it is in idle. Also, the misconception that a power supply "has juice" and can "run out of power" needs to be cleared. A power supply will not hit a limit on power. A power supply will not run out of power ever. What will usually happen is it will burn before that ever happens or a protection circuit will kick in and shut it down. It requires a specific power supply design, a specific, customized load, and overridden protections for a power supply to ever "run out" or "hit a limit" on power, and even before that is ever reached, the voltage outputs would get too low and your computer would be possibly damaged.

The power supply does not even store the energy that the computer uses; it comes from the power plant. The power supply simple converts the electromagnetic energy into a different form and distributes it to the computer. Nowhere though will a power supply ever "run out of juice". A power supply is not a squirt gun but is an energy conversion and distribution system. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted BTW.

Only a continuous current power supply will always have a power limit. Such as a light bulb connected to a battery. But a computer power supply is totally different and does what is demanded of it.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

However you want to word it, the power supply isn't a high enough of quality or in good enough condition to accept the new card.

I highly doubt even the worst power supply out there is having such bad voltages or ripple under ~30W of load from the computer to cause any problems. That's be like a near impossible context considering the fans and everything are running.

InfernalPhantom, are you plugging your video cable into the GPU or motherboard? Make sure it is plugged into the GPU.

If you have HDMI why are you using VGA anyway? Anyway, try that. If it doesn't work, I would maybe try actually plugging into the motherboard to see if it works that way. If it does, then it is still using your CPU graphics. You'll then have to enter the BIOS and look for video options, look around, and find an option to select your first video source as the add-on video card.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
The thing is there is a little covering on my motherboard to stop a cable to connect and says (DO NOT REMOVE) so idk if i should do it?.... (also the HDMI monitor is my brother's so thats why I dont use it xD)

Uh... You'd have to post a picture or something, because I have no idea what that would be.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

I'm going to drop my ego and say you're right. The fact is there is barely any power draw from a GPU or CPU at start (fans are nothing). There's seems to be a correlation of PSU trouble when upgrading video cards but it probably has to do with the fact that the power supplies are already degraded.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Picture:

Status
Not open for further replies.