Aug 14, 2024
So I just moved into a new house and brought my gaming pc with me. When I brought it to the new house and set it up my graphics card was no longer registering in device manager or the bios. I have since tried a bunch of things to fix the issue but nothing has worked. I have tried switching the Pcie slots and tried different graphics cards. The PC still runs with integrated graphics but I can not get my graphics card to register in my pc and display images. The cables are intact and the graphics card is getting power (lighting up and fans spinning). I have tried a ton of suggestions from other forums and from friends but can't seem to resolve the issue. At this stage I am in between doing a fresh install of windows, trying a different power supply, or looking to get another motherboard. I am just struggling with the fact that the computer is still usable and the graphics card is still getting power. I'd appreciate any help with the matter before I do something that is irreversible. Thank you!!!

PC specs:
Graphics card: ASUS RTX 3080
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision
Processor: Intel 10700K
Ram: 36 GB 3600 MHZ (dont remember the brand)

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you mean 32GB of memory?

Make sure your memory and the GPU are firmly in their respective slots. Often, when moving, things will wiggle/vibrate loose. It doesn't take much to disconnect them.

Check your motherboard power connectors as well, on both ends (PSU end and motherboard).

Aug 14, 2024
Do you mean 32GB of memory?

Make sure your memory and the GPU are firmly in their respective slots. Often, when moving, things will wiggle/vibrate loose. It doesn't take much to disconnect them.

Check your motherboard power connectors as well, on both ends (PSU end and motherboard).
Sorry yes my mistake. And yes I checked all the connectors. I tried two graphics cards in each slot and have checked the ram and motherboard connectors in between.

I am currently debating on running and buying a new rm850x or a rm1000 from a local shop and seeing if that fixes the issue. But would rather save the money if there is any other options.

Ralston18

Titan
You can do some troubleshooting on the existing PSU.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec would make the PSU further suspect.

As another option can you borrow another known working PSU from someone and swap in the borrowed PSU?

(Be sure to use only the cables that come with the borrowed PSU.)

Aug 14, 2024
You can do some troubleshooting on the existing PSU.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec would make the PSU further suspect.

As another option can you borrow another known working PSU from someone and swap in the borrowed PSU?

(Be sure to use only the cables that come with the borrowed PSU.)
I may be able to ask a friend to help with a multimeter. As I am not very handy when it comes to electrical components. Atleast in that sense. And unfortunately do not have anyone I can borrow a psu from.

Aug 14, 2024
Couple things to check.

First, if not already done so, reset the BIOS to its default settings. Your motherboard manual will tell you how to do this, if you don't already know how.

Also, have you tested the GPU in another system?
I reset the bios earlier today with no resolution. Trying to find someone available to let me test the graphics card. My main RTX card worked an hour before the move and the Gtx backup was a known working card that I kept as a backup.

Aug 14, 2024
With either GPU installed, while using the iGPU, does Windows detect the GPU at all, even if seen as an unknown device?
No neither gpu is detected. I have checked the hidden devices and have done the hardware scans to see if it would pop up. I have done these things after trying each card separately in both of the pcie slots. Although it is still getting power for both cards (lights and fans in both slots).

COLGeek

Cybernaut