Nov 29, 2022
Can someone tel me if i have to return the cooler or is there an adapter to connect my motherboard and cpu pump
Pcpart picker said everything was fine but the pump power cord is 3 pin hole side and the mother board had 4 pins but it also has a little blockage, am i supposed to remove that.
How do i upload a pic also
Motherboard: mag z490 tomahawk
Liquid cooler: vetroo lurker v360
Case: fractal pop xl air
3 radiator fans and 4 case fans
PSU: corsair rm750

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Can someone tel me if i have to return the cooler or is there an adapter to connect my motherboard and cpu pump
Pcpart picker said everything was fine but the pump power cord is 3 pin hole side and the mother board had 4 pins but it also has a little blockage, am i supposed to remove that.
How do i upload a pic also
Motherboard: mag z490 tomahawk
Liquid cooler: vetroo lurker v360
Case: fractal pop xl air
3 radiator fans and 4 case fans
PSU: corsair rm750
I can't find a manual for your cooler so I am limited on helping.
Usually a 3 pin connector can be used on a 4 pin motherboard connection. Look at page 34 in your motherboard manual for the pin out of the PUMP connection at the front.

Reactions: Eclipse20220
Nov 29, 2022
I can't find a manual for your cooler so I am limited on helping.
Usually a 3 pin connector can be used on a 4 pin motherboard connection. Look at page 34 in your motherboard manual for the pin out of the PUMP connection at the front.
Got it thanks so much, i figured out the initial problem already (sorry for exaggerating a bit with the title) but now im wondering if the three pin connection to a 4 pin motherboard connection would lose efficiency or longevity. Should i buy an adapter to make it a 4 pin to 4 pin connection or just keep it as is?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Got it thanks so much, i figured out the initial problem already (sorry for exaggerating a bit with the title) but now im wondering if the three pin connection to a 4 pin motherboard connection would lose efficiency or longevity. Should i buy an adapter to make it a 4 pin to 4 pin connection or just keep it as is?

There's nothing here for an adapter to "fix." It's not going to magically give PWM control where none exists, and that's not necessary for a pump in any case.

kanewolf

Titan
No. The pump should run at a constant speed. You don't want it to be connected to the 4th pin.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
kanewolf has it right. For more info, an older 3-pin fan plugged into a mobo 4-pin header that uses the newer PWM Mode of control will always run full speed. The PUMP in your system is wired like a 3-pin fan and it is supposed to run full speed all the time. Control of CPU cooling is done by automatically altering the speed of the RAD FANS only. You should plug your PUMP motor's 3-hole connector into the PUMP_FAN1 header at top front of your mobo. Connecting your PUMP this way is the RIGHT way to do it. Just check one thing after you get it all installed. Go into BIOS Setup and get to the Hardware Monitor Menu - see your mobo manual p. 61. Choose the PUMP_FAN1 header where you have the pump plugged in. On the left side ensure that the Mode is set to PWM, and not to DC. This will ensure the pump is powered properly.

Nov 29, 2022
kanewolf has it right. For more info, an older 3-pin fan plugged into a mobo 4-pin header that uses the newer PWM Mode of control will always run full speed. The PUMP in your system is wired like a 3-pin fan and it is supposed to run full speed all the time. Control of CPU cooling is done by automatically altering the speed of the RAD FANS only. You should plug your PUMP motor's 3-hole connector into the PUMP_FAN1 header at top front of your mobo. Connecting your PUMP this way is the RIGHT way to do it. Just check one thing after you get it all installed. Go into BIOS Setup and get to the Hardware Monitor Menu - see your mobo manual p. 61. Choose the PUMP_FAN1 header where you have the pump plugged in. On the left side ensure that the Mode is set to PWM, and not to DC. This will ensure the pump is powered properly.
Ahhh wow ok thank you so much, this was what I needed and extra! I think my problem is over now :)