Dec 2, 2019
Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for the long message. Okay, so I've been having an issue with my computer for about a month now. When I play games on my computer, mainly rocket league, the screen will freeze, and blue dots will show up on the screen. It will stay frozen for 10-15 seconds, and then the screen goes blue/black and then it shuts down. Occasionally, a message will pop up that says something along the lines of "Ran out of video memory", but this only happens maybe once every 10 times it crashes. Here is a list of things I have done to try to fix this issue along with the specs of my computer (I replaced my motherboard, processor, and ram in an attempt to resolve this)

Specs:
  • (old) 2012 factory HP motherboard
  • (old) Intel core i7-4790 processor
  • (old) 1 8gb corsair ram stick, 1 4 GB hp ram stick
  • (new) ROG Strix z-390 motherboard
  • (new) Intel core i5-9600k
  • (new) 16gb corsair ram
  • Gigabyte windforce gtx 980ti
  • Corsair TM850M PSU
  • 128 gb SSD

Attempts to fix:
  • Reseated everything inside the desktop.
  • Ran a stress test on the GPU, told to run for 10-20 minutes to be sure, I ran it for 25 minutes with no issues.
  • (as seen above) replaced mobo, processor, and ram
  • uninstalled and reinstalled all GeForce drivers
  • checked all connecting cables to ensure that they work
  • tried startup on just SSD / just harddrive

I really am not sure what the issue could be as I've talked to a lot of people and everyone thinks it's a different issue. I suspect a memory leak in the GPU, but I don't know for sure / don't know how to resolve a memory leak.

I've attached some photos below of the issue. The dots tend to vary in intensity, but for the most part, this is what they look like.
View: https://imgur.com/a/w93Mz3i

Thank you so much.