Dec 9, 2021
So idk if im even on the right thread but anyway... For the last couple of months my pc has been automaticly going to bios and not straight to windows. I could from there enter the windows normally. I read that going to bios automaticly could indicate on a hardware issue like something not plugged in correctly or something is damged. So anyways couple of days ago i realised there was a dram light on my mb going of at startup so i ofcourse took out the ram sticks and put them in again. The weird thing is that with only one stick in only 1 of the 2 worked without going to bios but when i put them both in and swapped their slots with eachother my pc booted to windows normally. But i think still one of the sticks is damaged in someway because the dram light still pops on at startup and then goes away when booted in + ive seen a degrease in performance especially in csgo and i dont think its my cpus or gpus fault. Ive also tried turning xmp on and off in the bios but it didnt help.

Specs: Intel i7 6700k OC to 4.7ghz , Gigabyte rtx 2060s, Msi z170a mb, RAM IS HYPERX FURY 16GB OVERCLOCKED TO 3000MHZ FROM 2400.

Solution
i have a corsair 650w psu i think it is either cv or vs
this would lead me more towards an issue with the power supply.
CV units aren't the worst but are low end for sure and not to be trusted with a gaming or other heavy tasking system.
VS is one of the worst they produce, if not the worst, and is dangerous to rely on with any type of system.
Dec 9, 2021
well atleast i think so. On the msi support page theres tons of kinston 2400mhz 16gb dual channel rams supported but i just dont know the model number on my ram because its just some hyperx fury and it doesnt say that on the site. And the ram and mb have been working together great for the last 4 years.

Given that it has been working OK for the last 4 years and noting that you did not give any info on the PSU, I suspect your PSU is going flaky.

You should never go cheap on the PSU. Everything else on and attached to the mobo depends on clean, stable power.

Dec 9, 2021
Given that it has been working OK for the last 4 years and noting that you did not give any info on the PSU, I suspect your PSU is going flaky.

You should never go cheap on the PSU. Everything else on and attached to the mobo depends on clean, stable power.
Well i guess it could be that because im like 95% sure it isnt an issue with the mb not supporting the ram because as i said they have been working well for years. Now the thing is that i have a corsair 650w psu i think it is either cv or vs but it wasnt the cheapest at the time.

Last edited:
So idk if im even on the right thread but anyway... For the last couple of months my pc has been automaticly going to bios and not straight to windows. I could from there enter the windows normally. I read that going to bios automaticly could indicate on a hardware issue like something not plugged in correctly or something is damged. So anyways couple of days ago i realised there was a dram light on my mb going of at startup so i ofcourse took out the ram sticks and put them in again. The weird thing is that with only one stick in only 1 of the 2 worked without going to bios but when i put them both in and swapped their slots with eachother my pc booted to windows normally. But i think still one of the sticks is damaged in someway because the dram light still pops on at startup and then goes away when booted in + ive seen a degrease in performance especially in csgo and i dont think its my cpus or gpus fault. Ive also tried turning xmp on and off in the bios but it didnt help.

Specs: Intel i7 6700k OC to 4.7ghz , Gigabyte rtx 2060s, Msi z170a mb, RAM IS HYPERX FURY 16GB OVERCLOCKED TO 3000MHZ FROM 2400.
Make sure you fit the ram in the proper slots.....see the manual.
Then open task manager/perf/mem.
That should show how much ram windows sees and it's speed.

If you suspect ram grab a copy of memtest86 and put it on a flash stick.
Boot it up and let it fly.....no errors allowed.

Dec 9, 2021
Hey thanks guys for the replies. So i have tired the ram at the normal speed and saw no difference. I also know the sticks are in the right slots and it shows 16gb on the task manager. Ive yet to run a memtest86 because i dont have an usb flash drive right now. So i guess i have two things here that could be wrong: Faulty psu or damaged ram. I actually doubt the psu a bit even when it is a cheap one because i would have at this point propably seen other symptoms because the bios has been popping up for monhs and playing with the ram sticks kinda fixed it+ the dram light on the mb. Also i have been running hardware monitor on a second screen while playing and i dont see any spikes at power output or the frequencys of the cpu or gpu. I guess i could just buy new ram now because its easier to change and i kinda want 32gb anyway. And if that doesnt do anything its either the psu or just some system error.

Dec 9, 2021
your RAM packaging and the sticker on the actual modules will state which exact model they are with a serial number or model number.

there are many variants of each manufacturer's product line and not all of them are compatible with the same motherboards.
damm i think you were right. I checked the model number and on the msi site i didnt find support for it. But can it be causing this if the pcs been working just fine for years? And i have too read that ram doesnt have to completely be compatible with the mb and processor for it to work properly if you just change the value on the bios so the system knows

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS