I built a small machine with the following specs

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G
Cooler: 120mm CPU Fan from Amazon - can't recall the brand
SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 - 256GB
M.2 Drive: Western Digital SN520 - 128GB
No GPU - On board graphics
PSU: Aerocool Cylon 600W
Motherboard: MSI B450 Pro Max M2

Everything had been working fine, until I purchased a HDMI monitor today (I was currently using a VGA monitor). I connected the HDMI cable to the new monitor then to the slot on my motherboard. The screen showed successfully but I noticed that I was unable to move my USB mouse, or type on my keyboard. I thought I would try a reboot of the machine. After rebooting there is now no display showing on the monitor and when I plug any devices into the USB ports on the front or back of the machine, e.g. my Keyboard, there are no lights showing on it (e.g if I press the numlock key).

Things I have tried:

I tried connecting the previous monitor via the VGA port on the motherboard (removing the HDMI that was currently connected ) - issue persists.
Tried to clear CMOS by removing battery and clearing JBAT1 jumper - issue persists.
Tried to connect computer to my TV via HDMI port - issue persists.
Reseated CPU - issue persists
Tried one RAM chip at a time in different ports - issue persists
Disconnected CPU power cable and 24 pin ATX power cable from motherboard and reconnected - issue persists.
I tried different VGA and HDMI cables each time as well.

Strangely the EZ Debug LED shows white for a second (solid) when machine is turned on, but after this point no lights are showing, but fans and lights on front of case showing without issue, but there are no USB devices working and no display being detected.
When I initially plug in a HDMI or VGA cable, the monitor light will stay solid, as if it has detected the computer, but then it just flashes and states No display found.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could provide guidance on what this may be. Would it be likely the motherboard of PSU could be fried by just plugging a HDMI cable into the slot on the motherboard?

Many thanks,
Brendan

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like a 5V failure on the power supply, not getting any voltage out of the USB ports is a good indicator of that.

Also a computer will stay on when 5V fails, the mouse can even be moved since that is 100% hardware to the CPU, and it runs on 12V.

As to why, maybe a little ESD (static electricity) or ground loop problem when you plugged in the HDMI cable caused OVP to trip. And being a cheap PSU, might have just failed open and won't recover itself.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like a 5V failure on the power supply, not getting any voltage out of the USB ports is a good indicator of that.

Also a computer will stay on when 5V fails, the mouse can even be moved since that is 100% hardware to the CPU, and it runs on 12V.

As to why, maybe a little ESD (static electricity) or ground loop problem when you plugged in the HDMI cable caused OVP to trip. And being a cheap PSU, might have just failed open and won't recover itself.

Solution

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015

Thanks for the quick response. I have an old Lenovo desktop pc here with a power supply in it. I was going to test it to see if the issue still occurs, but unfortunately it only has a 10 PIN atx power connector whereas the motherboard in the machine I am having issues with is a 24 PIN connector. Looks like I will buy a new PSU and see if that solves it. Failing that I will get a new motherboard.

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated. :)

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Ordered a Corsair PSU from Amazon as it seemed to be well reviewed for reliability. Fingers crossed that motherboard is still operational and I won't have to replace that. I'll feed back with progress on this. :) Thanks

DSzymborski

Titan
Ordered a Corsair PSU from Amazon as it seemed to be well reviewed for reliability. Fingers crossed that motherboard is still operational and I won't have to replace that. I'll feed back with progress on this. :) Thanks

Which one? If you got a VS or a CV, that would be fine for this build, but if you're envisioning ever putting a GPU in this, you might be painting yourself into a corner somewhat.

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Should be fine then. Didn't want you to turn around and drop a 3000 series GPU in there with an entry-level PSU or something.
Thanks for checking :). Hoping to maybe build a better machine when I get the money to do so. Kicking myself for going for that Aerocool PSU, if it is that that has caused this issue. Lesson learnt and will try to do more research on PSU's before blindly buying one just based on the wattage.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for checking :). Hoping to maybe build a better machine when I get the money to do so. Kicking myself for going for that Aerocool PSU, if it is that that has caused this issue. Lesson learnt and will try to do more research on PSU's before blindly buying one just based on the wattage.

In fairness, while I would not personally get an Aerocool, this one was probably competent enough to run a 100W PC safely. I think you just ran into some bad luck here.

Reactions: blackburnman04

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
I put the CPU into a working Lenovo desktop PC I had (the machine the processor originally came from) and I get the same issue on this machine as well. Would you say this is pointing to a possible CPU issue? as about 3 weeks ago the CPU worked in this machine without issue, but now is having identical issue to my new build.

Thanks

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Hmm, if something errant came down the HDMI port, it could have fried the chip. Does that monitor still work?
Yeah. Monitors still working fine as I connected them to my work laptop earlier today.

I see a bundle I might buy with 3 3200g and b450 motherboard. I might buy this and the new PSU, if that works at least I will know it was one of the components :)

Last edited:

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Ordered a Ryzen 3 3200g bundle with a B450 motherboard. It will be here in a few days.

The PSU is due today. Would it be worth plugging the new PSU into the current computer that is having the problems, to see if it kicks it back into life, or would it be safer just to wait until the bundle arrives and plug the new PSU into the new CPU+motherboard bundle?

Thanks

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
I would wait. But that depends on how much you have to spend on additional parts.

I generally have enough laying around to test out such things without much risk, but for most people troubleshooting with bad components could potentially damage new components.

Thanks. I'll wait as suggested. Thanks for all your help in this thread, it is much appreciated.

kgabris

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
hello! a friend of mine had an issue similar. He had to replace the motherboard, he thought that when changing the RAMs, he accidentally scratched the motherboard. Maybe. The symptom was, that the pc halted, and nothing whatsoever after that.

The problem is, that he has lot of experience, and later on he figured out, that there was someone like a guest in his room, left alone for some time with th epc. Why would anyone do anything like that?

It's straightforward, to build mistrust, because I was there when the halting occured, not him.

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
hello! a friend of mine had an issue similar. He had to replace the motherboard, he thought that when changing the RAMs, he accidentally scratched the motherboard. Maybe. The symptom was, that the pc halted, and nothing whatsoever after that.

The problem is, that he has lot of experience, and later on he figured out, that there was someone like a guest in his room, left alone for some time with th epc. Why would anyone do anything like that?

It's straightforward, to build mistrust, because I was there when the halting occured, not him.
Thanks for this advice.

The new motherboard and CPU are coming on Monday so hopefully when I connect those they will work correctly.

A bit curious about sticking the old CPU into the new motherboard to see if it works,which would confirm it is the motherboard that was the issue, but unsure as to whether it would be safe to do so incase I possibly fry the new motherboard.

kgabris

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
probably it was the motherboard. Not sure how, why the halt is delayed, winamp was running.

You cannot really damage any CPU without immediate issues.... that is like throwing your motherboard in the thrash with some other friends... but you cannot be sure.. of course...

take off the cooler before taking out the motherboard. Try to think of it, like - this will sound funny - if you're disassembling an explosive, you have to be careful, but you don't have a lot of time... so first observe, and think, maybe look in the manual, if it is not confusing, imagine how you would take off the cooler... that is the crucial part.

If you got off the cooler, then just lift the lever, and take out the CPU....

but, first, I would think it would be nice if you would get hold of a thermal paste. You can get one for under 3-4 euros, but you can also get for very expensive. you don't have thermal paste! :)

maybe you won't need it, because the old paste is probably coming off with the CPU anyway, and you can just put it back like that. But, you'll be nervous if not, and don't have the paste.

Then I think it's ok to put the CPU in the new motherboard while it is still out of the case, put back the vent, now it's not so problematic, and screw back the motherboard in the case. Use a screwdriver that has magnetic properties, the screw sticks to it... if you don't have one, get one, for yourself...

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
probably it was the motherboard. Not sure how, why the halt is delayed, winamp was running.

You cannot really damage any CPU without immediate issues.... that is like throwing your motherboard in the thrash with some other friends... but you cannot be sure.. of course...

take off the cooler before taking out the motherboard. Try to think of it, like - this will sound funny - if you're disassembling an explosive, you have to be careful, but you don't have a lot of time... so first observe, and think, maybe look in the manual, if it is not confusing, imagine how you would take off the cooler... that is the crucial part.

If you got off the cooler, then just lift the lever, and take out the CPU....

but, first, I would think it would be nice if you would get hold of a thermal paste. You can get one for under 3-4 euros, but you can also get for very expensive. you don't have thermal paste! :)

maybe you won't need it, because the old paste is probably coming off with the CPU anyway, and you can just put it back like that. But, you'll be nervous if not, and don't have the paste.

Then I think it's ok to put the CPU in the new motherboard while it is still out of the case, put back the vent, now it's not so problematic, and screw back the motherboard in the case. Use a screwdriver that has magnetic properties, the screw sticks to it... if you don't have one, get one, for yourself...

Thanks for your advice.

I think what I will do when the new motherboard and CPU arrives is to see if everything works as it previously did. If the new motherboard and CPU doesn't have problems I will remove the new CPU and pop in the old CPU to see if the problem happens again, if it doesn't at least I will know that the issue was the motherboard and not the CPU. :)

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Contacted Amazon regarding the motherboard possibly being faulty (after MSI replied to say I have to contact retailer) and I am being sent a replacement motherboard tomorrow.

Reckon it is worth trying the replacement motherboard or just wait until the new CPU and new gigabyte motherboard bundle arrives?

Thanks

kgabris

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
hey! I don't really see the coherence found in your previous posts.... are you ok?

I'm trying to just be careful, you never know these days.......

I'll just suppose you fried your account 💒

so, for the reply for the newer posts: I really think you should wait a few years, I mean to stop taking apart your pc, not even picking it up for a few years... It is like that. Learning , sorry using the wrong way to fix pcs, and you'll have sort of extreme trauma associated with servicing, but if you top that with an experimental, gamma version soundcard.... I really think you should take a few years to calm down, and then restart the pc.....

blackburnman04

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Update: new CPU and motherboard came today. Working fine. Tried old CPU in new motherboard and issue occured again (no display). Put new CPU back into new motherboard and everything working fine.

Dead CPU was the cause

kgabris

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
i see.... but then you have the old motherboard... perhaps you could look for a used cpu for that... but it is also possible, that the dead cpu might work with a different motherboard... hmmm

but then, I'm not quite totally sure about that, but I understood that way, that a GPU in the graphics card is actually a CPU, or at least a modified version, but principally it is the same....

now you know... but whatif you tried the old config with a different graphics card? unless... the GPU is in the motherboards.... dunno

Last edited:

kgabris

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
hi! i was thinking about it... checked the mobo, :D, and after clearng some dust, so it was quiet again, I found a jumper switcch, labelled SPDIF I/O

SPDIF is the digital input of the built-in soundcards, but the hardware component communicate on their own... this tendency is a fact, given the RAMDAC method, that is, the soundcard uses the main memory of the PC.

So, while it is not evident, it might be possible, that there is a hardware switch for the RAMDAC method, so I made a creen video and touched the jumper twice with a cobalt screwdriver....

I don't know if I can link the video here, but first time I touched it (system monitor was running), there was a slight fading of hue in contrast, and the second time I touched it (some jumpers are memory sensitive, you don't need to put a jumper cap on them, but switch it with closing the circuit, and then confirming the switch by closing the circuit again with a screwdiver).

So, the second time I touched it, the system monitor scroll of CPU usage became accentuated, something changed.

Youtube was running only, and sysinfo.

I wonder where that jumpermemory is stored??