Question Power Limit Throttling

kubis

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
Im currently using i5 8300h undervolted to -120mv using XTU, cpu temp is good, thermal throttling is mostly gone but power limit throttling is near constant. It gets really annoying. My turbo boost power max is set at 45w and turbo boost short power max is set at 78w.

Question is, how do i get rid of it? Should i just increase my turbo boost short power max until it no longer throttles? If so what are the drawback?

Thanks in advance

Im currently using i5 8300h undervolted to -120mv using XTU, cpu temp is good, thermal throttling is mostly gone but power limit throttling is near constant. It gets really annoying. My turbo boost power max is set at 45w and turbo boost short power max is set at 78w.

Question is, how do i get rid of it? Should i just increase my turbo boost short power max until it no longer throttles? If so what are the drawback?

Thanks in advance
I don't get it,you are undervolting the CPU so you are applying a power limit that will be there all the time,the CPU can only reach the watts if it has enough volts.

Thanks in advance

I'm not following what your issue is. You're setting the power limit by undervolting...the entire point of undervolting is to control temps by suppressing power use. If you want the chip to run at full speed you're going to have to allow full power. If the point is to control temps but you need full cpu power then I would simply upgrade your cooling to handle the chip at 100% power.

Aug 13, 2020
Because your laptop has a TDP lock?What do I know but putting in an undervolt is a power limit so asking why there is a power limit while using a power limitation is just weird.
Since, according to your claim, power throttling is caused by undevolting a CPU, then removing the undervolt value and setting all values to default should solve the issue, which it doesn't. The TDP has always been there, and there is no lock. It ranges from 3W to about 19W while it should go up to 25W, hence the power throttle.

Since, according to your claim, power throttling is caused by undevolting a CPU, then removing the undervolt value and setting all values to default should solve the issue, which it doesn't. The TDP has always been there, and there is no lock. It ranges from 3W to about 19W while it should go up to 25W, hence the power throttle.
Hey I don't know your laptop,even if TDP is unlocked it doesn't mean that the laptop doesn't have any protections in place that limit the TDP for safety anyway.