[SOLVED] Printer queue keeps thinking the printer is offline ?

mkenyon2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I have a Brother laser printer connected to my network via Ethernet. While my computer and printer were on the same network switch, I had no problem printing any time I wanted. I recently moved my PC, and the printer queue shows the printer as offline. If I leave documents sitting in the printer queue, and reboot the computer, they print, but eventually the PC shows the printer as offline. Rebooting the printer does not trigger the computer to recognize it, I need to reboot the PC. The printer's IP address is the same, and it is set to static on the router, so it should always be the same.

The option for 'Use Printer Offline' is disabled in the printer queue window.

It also seems that if I go into services and restart the Print Spooler application, I can get it to recognize the printer. What would cause the computer not to see the printer as online? (I'm guessing network settings/switch type.)

How can I fix this?

Solution
Line diagrams:

Original configuration = OK

Computer ----> Same network switch ---> Brother Laser printer

New configuration = Not OK

Computer ---> Switch #1 ----> Same network switch ---> Brother Laser printer

(Not sure which side of "Same network switch" to show Switch #1 so feel free to edit, update, or otherwise correct my line diagram.)

I would look for a bad/loose connection, a problem Ethernet cable, switch port, or network wall jack along whatever path was added between computer and printer.

Connectivity comes and goes because the connection is loose but not totally disconnected.

Ralston18

Titan
Line diagrams:

Original configuration = OK

Computer ----> Same network switch ---> Brother Laser printer

New configuration = Not OK

Computer ---> Switch #1 ----> Same network switch ---> Brother Laser printer

(Not sure which side of "Same network switch" to show Switch #1 so feel free to edit, update, or otherwise correct my line diagram.)

I would look for a bad/loose connection, a problem Ethernet cable, switch port, or network wall jack along whatever path was added between computer and printer.

Connectivity comes and goes because the connection is loose but not totally disconnected.

Solution