[SOLVED] Problem when Mining with two GPUs (AMD + Nvidia) on same PC ?

May 19, 2021
Hello,
So I have this pc:

Ryzen 5 3600x
AMD 6700XT Hellhound + RTX 3060 Asus Dual-fan
Asus B550 Tuf Gaming Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600mhz
ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO
Corsair CX750M CP-9020061

When I mine with the 2 cards - the Nvidia mines at half its hashrate. I installed the old working drivers 470.05_gameready_win10-dch_64bit.
I can mine with full hashrate when the card is solo, but when paired with the 6700.. I used DDU v18.0.3.9 to unistall drivers and installed everything as good as I can.
When I mine with 2 x 6700XT cards there are no problems.

I tinkered with the BIOS settings and nothing. Any ideas why? AMD-Nvidia campatabilty issues?

Thanks!

Solution
Observe performance of CPU and GPU(s) via Task Manager.

Two tabs to watch: Processes and Performance.

What you are looking for is what changes between the orginal GPUs (6700 XT) that yeild the high hashrate and the new combination of mixed GPUs that results in the lower hashrate.

Reminder: manually download the applicable GPU drivers via the manufacturer's websites. Reinstall and reconfigure for your build.

No third party installers.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Resource Monitor to observe system performance using the various GPU configurations described in your original post.

Look for differences between the "no problems" rate of the 2 x 6700XT cards, the solo GPU performance (each card) , and the two different GPU's being run together.

= = = =

PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Previous use for heavy gaming and previous mining?

Forego DDU.

Manually download driver's via the applicable manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure for your pc.

May 19, 2021
PSU: Corsair CX750M CP-9020061 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Modular ATX PSU
Few years old, great condition.
PC was used only for mid-tier gaming.
Did everything with DDU few times, even installed a clear copy of Windows.

Use Resource Monitor to observe system performance using the various GPU configurations described in your original post.

Look for differences between the "no problems" rate of the 2 x 6700XT cards, the solo GPU performance (each card) , and the two different GPU's being run together.

= = = =

PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Previous use for heavy gaming and previous mining?

Forego DDU.

Manually download driver's via the applicable manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure for your pc.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can swap into your system?

Even though the PSU appears to be in good condition, the internal components and connections may not be.

If you have multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) then you can do some testing on the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under a full load. Still any voltages near to or out of tolerance is of concern.

PSU may be just fine with one GPU but two may be too much and, over time, degrade the PSU even more.

May 19, 2021
Hi,
I have even tested with 2 PSUs . Made a Frankenstein monster + 1 card connected to the main PSU and the other with cables from another PSU from a second PC.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can swap into your system?

Even though the PSU appears to be in good condition, the internal components and connections may not be.

If you have multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) then you can do some testing on the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under a full load. Still any voltages near to or out of tolerance is of concern.

PSU may be just fine with one GPU but two may be too much and, over time, degrade the PSU even more.

Ralston18

Titan
Observe performance of CPU and GPU(s) via Task Manager.

Two tabs to watch: Processes and Performance.

What you are looking for is what changes between the orginal GPUs (6700 XT) that yeild the high hashrate and the new combination of mixed GPUs that results in the lower hashrate.

Reminder: manually download the applicable GPU drivers via the manufacturer's websites. Reinstall and reconfigure for your build.

No third party installers.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
May well be the case.

You could take another look by using Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

You may be able to try enough GPU combinations to identify what processes are incompatible or otherwise not playing well together.

Likely will take some time and effort to work through it all enough to discover some repeatable cause/effect to identify or verify the problem.