[SOLVED] Problem with M.2 NVMe SSD not being recognized

aaxyl

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018
Hi all,

I have a problem with my M.2 NVMe SSD (a 512GB Samsung PM981) not being recognized properly by either the BIOS or in Windows (it sometimes is recognized and sometimes isn't), and I'm not sure if it's because of the motherboard slot (I don't have another M.2 SSD to try it out with or a PCIe to M.2 converter card) or the SSD itself. I've practically tried everything I can to get it actually recognized, from setting CSM to off and boot mode to UEFI only, to reseating the SSD, trying another M.2 slot, resetting BIOS to defaults, etc.

My motherboard is the MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max and it's updated to the latest BIOS version.

Any help is appreciated :)

Solution
Ok, replacement SSD came in and I've confirmed it to work after installing Windows and a bunch of programs on it. So it turns out it was just the SSD that was faulty, thanks a ton guys!

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
Curious, how did you try another M.2 slot if you don't have it? Your motherboard should have 2 M.2 slots, so if neither of them works it could be the drive.

You can use the Windows CrystalDiskInfo software to see the smart status of the ssd. That could tell you if your disk has a problem. Assuming you can catch it at a time when it's recognized of course.

aaxyl

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018
Curious, how did you try another M.2 slot if you don't have it? Your motherboard should have 2 M.2 slots, so if neither of them works it could be the drive.

You can use the Windows CrystalDiskInfo software to see the smart status of the ssd. That could tell you if your disk has a problem. Assuming you can catch it at a time when it's recognized of course.

Sorry, I meant I tried it in both slots, as my motherboard has two. I also pulled up HWInfo64 and the SMART status of the M.2 SSD is a green tick, (of course, that's when it was being recognized by my system and by Windows)

aaxyl

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018
I don't suppose you have another M.2 drive you could try (would be perfect to exclude drive problems)?
Could you show the HWInfo64 log for your drive?

I'd love to, but I don't think I cant get it recognized in Windows at the moment...

Last edited:

aaxyl

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What processor are you working with? Which slot is the SSD populating on the motherboard?

According to HWInfo64, it is on version H.60, with AMD AGESA version being 1.0.0.6. The processor in my system is a Ryzen 7 1700. And I've tried the SSD in the top M.2 slot as well as the bottom one, both don't work.

Endre

Reputable
Hi all,

I have a problem with my M.2 NVMe SSD (a 512GB Samsung PM981) not being recognized properly by either the BIOS or in Windows (it sometimes is recognized and sometimes isn't), and I'm not sure if it's because of the motherboard slot (I don't have another M.2 SSD to try it out with or a PCIe to M.2 converter card) or the SSD itself. I've practically tried everything I can to get it actually recognized, from setting CSM to off and boot mode to UEFI only, to reseating the SSD, trying another M.2 slot, resetting BIOS to defaults, etc.

My motherboard is the MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max and it's updated to the latest BIOS version.

Any help is appreciated :)

Hello!
  1. First of all, please make sure that your M.2 drive is on the QVL list of your motherboard, if it is, then:
  2. Update your BIOS version to the latest one. If it still doesn’t work
  3. Try out your SSD into another well working PC (to make sure that it’s not a drive issue).

I hope it helps...

Reactions: aaxyl

aaxyl

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018
Hello!
  1. First of all, please make sure that your M.2 drive is on the QVL list of your motherboard, if it is, then:
  2. Update your BIOS version to the latest one. If it still doesn’t work
  3. Try out your SSD into another well working PC (to make sure that it’s not a drive issue).
I hope it helps...

As far as I'm aware, the motherboard supports it, it just has problems being recognized most of the time, and when it does, it'll show up in Windows for a brief period before stating that the "device doesn't exist".

BIOS has also been updated to the newest version, and I'm afraid I don't have another PC to test out the SSD with.

aaxyl

Commendable
Feb 2, 2018
Ok, replacement SSD came in and I've confirmed it to work after installing Windows and a bunch of programs on it. So it turns out it was just the SSD that was faulty, thanks a ton guys!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS