Question Problems when display resolution is set lower than native ?

Jun 9, 2022
Hello!

I have the "Samsung G7 Odyssey" Gaming Monitor "2560x1440" @240hz

Playing on the native resolution is completely fine and works a charm, however I do enjoy playing the more competitive games at a lower resolution such as "1280x960" but this gives me problems, on other monitors/previous ones I never ran into an issue using these lower resolutions.

Whenever I try a lower resolution even 1920x1080 on the Samsung monitors I get occasional blurry lines going down the screen or fuzziness at the corners of the screen, its very distracting and annyoing.

Tried contacting the samsung support team but they just tell me the monitors broke, which I refuse to believe considering it happens on all 3 of my monitors (they are all same brand/model).

Wondering if anyone knew a fix? :)

Thanks
Mark

Ralston18

Titan
What about the firmware and/or drivers?

Reference:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/model/LC27G75TQSCXXK/#downloads

[Do verify that I found the correct model.]

First determine the current versions and configuration settings as applicable.

Second, if your monitor's drivers and firmware are not up to date then download, reinstall, and reconfigure as necessary.

= = = =

But that all begs the question as to why you wish to play at lower resolutions.

Just curious as to what, if anything, is being gained or other advantages (if any) of using lower resolutions?

If you're asking the monitor to stretch all images to fill the screen, you should expect image artifacts. You could try using 1:1 scaling but I guess that begs the question of why even get such a high-end monitor if you're going to do that.

Also is there any real benefit to playing at lower resolution? The only technical reason to do so is to reduce the load on the video card, but then you need a powerful enough CPU to actually drive the frame rate at that point. And if you were getting a high-end monitor, I'm going to presume you have a reasonably midrange or high end computer. Which in that case, lowering the resolution really does nothing but put you at a disadvantage since you're not going to get better frame rates anyway going lower than say 1080p at the lowest settings.

Reactions: Ralston18
Jun 9, 2022
What about the firmware and/or drivers?

Reference:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/model/LC27G75TQSCXXK/#downloads

[Do verify that I found the correct model.]

First determine the current versions and configuration settings as applicable.

Second, if your monitor's drivers and firmware are not up to date then download, reinstall, and reconfigure as necessary.

= = = =

But that all begs the question as to why you wish to play at lower resolutions.

Just curious as to what, if anything, is being gained or other advantages (if any) of using lower resolutions?
That doesn't indeed look like the correct monitor/model :)

I have everything up to date as far as I know.

I only play at the lower resolution on specific games not all, majority of the games I play on the 2560x1440 but in CS:GO I much rather prefer to play on a lower res as it just feels better to me.

Just really weird as I've never experienced the "artifacts" etc on previous monitors only this one.

Thanks
Mark

Jun 9, 2022
If you're asking the monitor to stretch all images to fill the screen, you should expect image artifacts. You could try using 1:1 scaling but I guess that begs the question of why even get such a high-end monitor if you're going to do that.

Also is there any real benefit to playing at lower resolution? The only technical reason to do so is to reduce the load on the video card, but then you need a powerful enough CPU to actually drive the frame rate at that point. And if you were getting a high-end monitor, I'm going to presume you have a reasonably midrange or high end computer. Which in that case, lowering the resolution really does nothing but put you at a disadvantage since you're not going to get better frame rates anyway going lower than say 1080p at the lowest settings.
Hello :)

I just have never experienced this on another monitor so very strange for me to have it on this one only, its just been a blurry picture before on other monitors until of course my eyes adjust to it, its just a preference thing for me when I play CS:GO for me to play in a lower res. and you would be correct I have a high end Gaming PC. i9 12900K, 128GB DDR5 and 3090 strix.

I do play other games at the 2560x1440 with usually mid-high settings depending on the game.

Just can't stand the little fuzzy/lines that pop up whilst playing on a lower res that isn't 2560x1440

Thanks
Mark

Ralston18

Titan
@hotaru.hino makes a good point.

This may be one of those "trade off" situations: "feels better" (understood) vs. "fuzzy little lines".

My thought is after playing CS:GO for awhile at the higher resolution you may well get accustomed to it and/or discover some advantages due to higher resolution.

And the blurry line problem becomes moot.

Just something to consider.