Question Problems with a new monitor

Jul 30, 2022
Hey All. I just bought a new monitor, specifically the ASUS vg278qr, but keep on having a problem. During gaming, the monitor loses signal (I presume since the screen goes black) for like 2-3 seconds and the comes back. This happens repeatedly so you can imagine my frustration. I have just bought said monitor last week and keep on facing this issue regardless of refresh rate of the monitor i.e. 120Hz, 144Hz and especially 165Hz.

I initially thought that I must have gotten a faulty DPort wire despite it being "brand-new" and bought another DPort wire just like it locally only to face the same issue. I have used the HDMI cable and it works perfectly without any hiccups like the one mentioned before. I can see that with the HDMI cable and the DisplayPort Cable, my GPU temperature stays consistently around 75C-85C. The HDMI only supports refresh rate up-to 120 HZ, however even with 120Hz on the DisplayPort, it gives me the same flickering problem.

I have the same resolution set on both HDMI and DisplayPort, 1920x1080 , and at this point I'm all out of ideas. I've tried changing the wires, updating drivers, disabling link state power management and USB-Selective Suspend and whatnot. I can play with the DisplayPort if I turn down all my settings to extremely potato and resolution to below 1000, anything above just doesn't work.

Build's Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1770 Eight-Core Processor
2 Sticks of 8GB DDR4 RAM
1TB Hard Drive and 128GB SSD
AMD RX580 8GB (XFX)
Windows 11 Operating System
Thunder TGS 550W PSU

Hey All. I just bought a new monitor, specifically the ASUS vg278qr, but keep on having a problem. During gaming, the monitor loses signal (I presume since the screen goes black) for like 2-3 seconds and the comes back. This happens repeatedly so you can imagine my frustration. I have just bought said monitor last week and keep on facing this issue regardless of refresh rate of the monitor i.e. 120Hz, 144Hz and especially 165Hz.
I initially thought that I must have gotten a faulty DPort wire despite it being "brand-new" and bought another DPort wire just like it locally only to face the same issue. I have used the HDMI cable and it works perfectly without any hiccups like the one mentioned before. I can see that with the HDMI cable and the DisplayPort Cable, my GPU temperature stays consistently around 75C-85C. The HDMI only supports refresh rate up-to 120 HZ, however even with 120Hz on the DisplayPort, it gives me the same flickering problem.
I have the same resolution set on both HDMI and DisplayPort, 1920x1080 , and at this point I'm all out of ideas. I've tried changing the wires, updating drivers, disabling link state power management and USB-Selective Suspend and whatnot. I can play with the DisplayPort if I turn down all my settings to extremely potato and resolution to below 1000, anything above just doesn't work.
Build's Specs:
2 Sticks of 8GB DDR4 RAM
AMD RX580 8GB (XFX)
Thunder PSU-TGS 550W
You need to buy a "HIGH QUALITY " display port cable $20-30 cable for a reliable connection the cheap ones don't cut it at all

Build's Specs:
2 Sticks of 8GB DDR4 RAM
AMD RX580 8GB (XFX)
Thunder PSU-TGS 550W
my bad missed the 128gb ssd

Jul 30, 2022
The other issue is all I see listed for storage is a single hdd, you need a ssd for your os it's almost a have to these days for the speed the cpus are running now my bad missed the 128gb ssd
I have mentioned that I use a 128 GB SSD on which my operating system runs. If you glance at the mentioned specs, alongside the 1TB Hard Drive, I have mentioned said SSD.

Jul 30, 2022
You need to buy a "HIGH QUALITY " display port cable $20-30 cable for a reliable connection the cheap ones don't cut it at all
What do you mean by high quality? All I find on the internet is weird jargon such as DisplayPort 1.2, 1.4 and whatnot. According to which, I'm using "Display Port 1.2" which sources say is more then enough to run 120Hz or above. As I mentioned before, my DisplayPort cable doesn't even run 120Hz.

I have mentioned that I use a 128 GB SSD on which my operating system runs. If you glance at the mentioned specs, alongside the 1TB Hard Drive, I have mentioned said SSD.
my bad missed the 128gb ssd
I corrected myself I missed it but yeah you need a high quality dp cable this has been THE BIGGEST issue amoungst all people using a do some get lucky the cheap cable will work most you have to she'll put for a good one

What do you mean by high quality? All I find on the internet is weird jargon such as DisplayPort 1.2, 1.4 and whatnot. According to which, I'm using "Display Port 1.2" which sources say is more then enough to run 120Hz or above. As I mentioned before, my DisplayPort cable doesn't even run 120Hz.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...97666f0c1fb54&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

This is the one I bought and works amazing plus dropped in price since I bought it

Jul 30, 2022
I corrected myself I missed it but yeah you need a high quality dp cable this has been THE BIGGEST issue amoungst all people using a do some get lucky the cheap cable will work most you have to she'll put for a good one
Shouldn't a cheap cable run at least 120Hz? The cable did come with the box so it should support the specs? Sorry for repeating but its a first for me so I'm confused on the matter.

Shouldn't a cheap cable run at least 120Hz? The cable did come with the box so it should support the specs? Sorry for repeating but its a first for me so I'm confused on the matter.
The company's that make the monitors just want you to have a screen they don't car if the cable they give you supports the specs their system does or not you just need a display in their eyes you want full function of it spend more money that is saddly the way the world has become

Reactions: YourBro