Apr 20, 2019
www.instagram.com
Hello everyone

Few days ago I picked up a I7-2670qm for my old laptop [ Medion Akoya P6634 ]. The idea was to swap this CPU with my old I3-2350m. Since I've recently been using that laptop as my little project to revive it as much as possible...

When I got the "new" CPU, I replaced it, and that went all well, I cleaned the cooler and applied new and fresh Thermal paste.
Once booted into the Bios, the CPU was successfully recognized by the motherboard. So everything seemed to go perfectly...

Even though all the replacing went well, once I booted the laptop in the OS ( Linux Mint ), a bigger issues popped up...
As I expected, the I7 would be running way hotter than the I3, the I3 has a TDP of 35w and the I7 has a TDP of 45w.
And nothing was less true, once the laptop was running, and I logged on, it turned off out of a sudden. So at first I tried to turn it on again, no issues, but I got the exact same result.

So I'm pretty certain the issue of that is that it's thermal throttling, but I'd like to fix that. Although ATM. I don't really know how I can solve this, so I hope there's anyone who can help me out.
Unfortunately, simply going into the BIOS and changing the fan speed or lowering the clock speeds won't work, since I can't really change anything in it's BIOS.. Perhaps flashing a custom BIOS might work, but I'm not comfortable enough to do so and am afraid to brick the motherboard...

So the ideas I had were :
-trying to look for another cooling parts/system/... , but I'm not sure if I can find one from Medion which is meant for an I7.. (My dad has a 17" Medion Akoya with an I5, same TDP as the I3 but the coolers could be perfectly swapped, so I believe it might be possible).
-trying to flash a custom Bios anyway, knowing I'm risking bricking my motherboard and not knowing how to fix that solution or if it's even possible.
-trying to somehow get it to under clock or disable cores via this method a friend of mine sent me. Tho I'm not sure how to do that when I can't barely login..
-trying to swap the old I3 in and somehow fix the fan speed to 100% in the OS, if that's possible.

That's all I can think of right now, I hope anyone else has some ideas as well.

The guy from who I bought the CPU is super cool, I updated him on the progress too and he said that I could return the CPU if I couldn't get it to work. So if it's really impossible, then I'll be doing that, but I'm really hoping and looking to make this work.

Some more info on the laptop's current specs :
- 2gb ddr3 ram ( has to get upgraded asap )
-Crappy 5400rpm 160gb Seagate hdd ( got it from someone since I didn't have any other ones that worked so just a temp solution )
- stock it had as mentioned an I3-2350m installed
-Got a new battery already

I really hope you can help me out! :)

Cheers!