Question PSU clicks with CPU cable connected ?

Mar 13, 2023
Hi!

After reading a lot of posts about the same issue but without any solutions, I'm resorting to my own post.

The problem:

My PSU will shut down immediately after shorting the POWER_SW. The PSU makes a clicking sound after lighting up and starting the fans for almost one second. This issue is present once the CPU is in the socket of the MB. Also, The EZ debug LED turns red for a short while, too. After a few seconds it'll attempt a new boot and then it'll shutdown and click just as before. It's a loop.

The PSU won't shut down once I've removed the CPU and cooler. It runs fine without the CPU in the socket.

The CPU is supported by the MB according to the MSI site. However, I've updated the MB to version 7D91vH2 just to be sure.

Components:
  • Thermaltake Toughpower modulair GF1 ARGB 850W
  • Intel® Core i7-13700K, 3,4 GHz CPU
  • MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk WIFI MB
  • Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black CPU cooler
Pictures:

At this moment, I'm very lost and don't know how to continue. Any help is appreciated a lot.

Cheers,
Don

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Breadboard the build and then try powering up the build, if the parts listed above are inside a chassis. If the build fires up, POST's and then you're able to get to BIOS, then you're suffering from a short inside the case. Speaking of shorts, mind sharing images of how you hooked the PSU and the remaining components together?

Mar 13, 2023
Breadboard the build and then try powering up the build, if the parts listed above are inside a chassis. If the build fires up, POST's and then you're able to get to BIOS, then you're suffering from a short inside the case. Speaking of shorts, mind sharing images of how you hooked the PSU and the remaining components together?

Thank you. It's currently bread boarded, so it’s not a short in the case, unfortunately.

This is how I've it up right now.
red: ATX_PWR1
green: CPU_PWR1
lightblue: CPU_PWR2
pink: CPU_FAN1

Lutfij

Titan
Remove the 24 pin connector from the PSU's end and take a picture of that, then remove the 24pin connector cable from the motherboard's side and take a picture of that as well, make sure to label them so we know what we're looking at(like the last post). I think you hooked it the wrong way...is my guess, would need images to confirm.

It's currently bread boarded, so it’s not a short in the case, unfortunately.
Are you using original modular cables?
Using wrong modular cables (from a different/incompatible modular psu) can kill/ damage hardware connected.

Check if orientation of your modular cables is correct -
correct side connected to PSU and correct side connected to motherboard.

Also possible, you're using PCIE cable (not EPS cable) and have managed to force it into socket upside down.
EPS cable should have 4pin+4pin connector on motherboard side and 8pin connector on PSU side.
PCIE cable should have 6pin+2pin on GPU side and 8pin connector on PSU side.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023
Remove the 24 pin connector from the PSU's end and take a picture of that, then remove the 24pin connector cable from the motherboard's side and take a picture of that as well, make sure to label them so we know what we're looking at(like the last post). I think you hooked it the wrong way...is my guess, would need images to confirm.

Done!
Are those images sufficient @Lutfij ?

Are you using original modular cables?
Using wrong modular cables (from a different/incompatible modular psu) can kill/ damage hardware connected.

Check if orientation of your modular cables is correct -
correct side connected to PSU and correct side connected to motherboard.

I'm using the cables that came with the PSU. It looks impossible to connect the cable in the pictures above your quote any other way than I have now @SkyNetRising. Or is that a wrong assumption from me?

lso possible, you're using PCIE cable (not EPS cable) and have managed to force it into socket upside down.
EPS cable should have 4pin+4pin connector on motherboard side and 8pin connector on PSU side.
PCIE cable should have 6pin+2pin on GPU side and 8pin connector on PSU side.

The cables that are in the CPU_PWR1 and CPU_PWR2 are labeled "CPU". I haven't used The PCI-E labeled cables yet.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You also forgot to connect the other end of the 24pin connector that's a breakaway style...to the PSU;
YbBsEKM.jpg

spSoyuz.jpeg

^ the part under the red demarcation is what the breakaway needs to hook up to. Hook the 10pin connector on the spot below the 18pin connector on the PSU.

Might want to pass another image once that's hooked up to get a nod from us.

Mar 13, 2023
You also forgot to connect the other end of the 24pin connector that's a breakaway style...to the PSU;

^ the part under the red demarcation is what the breakaway needs to hook up to. Hook the 10pin connector on the spot below the 18pin connector on the PSU.

Might want to pass another image once that's hooked up to get a nod from us.

I've hooked the 10 pin connector to the spot below the 18 pin connector, as you've mentioned and as you can see in this new picture.

Is "CPU" written on both ends of the cable?
No way to determine, which end goes to motherboard, which to PSU?

It's only written on one end. I'm unable to determine any difference between the end besides the label "CPU" on one of the ends.

Mar 13, 2023
Then CPU cables are your primary suspect. You said you tried without CPU - was that with CPU cables or without them?

I've tested both scenarios and this is the conclusion:
  • the PSU turns on with both CPU_PWR1 and CPU_PWR2 cables in the MB, but only without the CPU in the socket
  • the PSU turns on without any CPU PSU cable in the MB, but with the CPU in the socket
So, the PSU won't turn on when at least one of the CPU_PWR cables is in the MB and with the CPU in the socket.

I've tested both scenarios and this is the conclusion:
  • the PSU turns on with both CPU_PWR1 and CPU_PWR2 cables in the MB, but only without the CPU in the socket
  • the PSU turns on without any CPU PSU cable in the MB, but with the CPU in the socket
So, the PSU won't turn on when at least one of the CPU_PWR cables is in the MB and with the CPU in the socket.
That's a mixed result. I think it means PSU is fine, so the culprit is either CPU or motherboard. I would lean towards blaming CPU but that's more of a guess. You mentioned before updating BIOS - I suppose you used flashback, not another CPU?

Mar 13, 2023
That's a mixed result. I think it means PSU is fine, so the culprit is either CPU or motherboard. I would lean towards blaming CPU but that's more of a guess. You mentioned before updating BIOS - I suppose you used flashback, not another CPU?

Yes, that's what think too: it's either the CPU or MB but not the PSU.

I used flashback to update the BIOS.