Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
How long is the warranty?
5 years. But that might not mean much. These days even Seasonic understands that they are only likely to see maybe 3 out of 10 faulty units actually come back by way of RMA because the majority of users with a cheap component will simply write it off and replace it with something better, or something locally and therefore more readily, available. So they can afford to give a lower quality unit a longer warranty because in most cases they are never going to see it again when it fails anyhow.

Based on the caps alone, I'd say there is almost no way they EXPECT the majority of those units to reach the end of warranty while still in service if they are being used in systems that actually NEED a 550w power supply installed. If used with low power graphics cards and hardware, they are likely no worse than the CXm units have been in terms of longevity. But obviously, a thorough review is needed to really know anything and I'm simply sharing my own opinion in regard to what I think of it based on those pictures and limited information.

Even if they perform well, given the component selection inside, I'd never recommend or buy one unless the only other options were even less desirable.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
5 years. But that might not mean much. These days even Seasonic understands that they are only likely to see maybe 3 out of 10 faulty units actually come back by way of RMA because the majority of users with a cheap component will simply write it off and replace it with something better, or something locally and therefore more readily, available.

And you've highlighted the issue with computer component warranties perfectly (and that 5 years being totally meaningless). In more cases than not the user NEEDS the system whether its for work or school or whatever. When my Motherboard got messed up and then ASUS screwed the pooch on the replacement I was out a system for over a month. It was a mess. With my GPU failing on my sim system it wasn't as bad since I don't need that day to day, except I did get impatient, bought a different one, and then just sold the warranty replacement. Nobody has time to ship hardware, wait for a fix or replacement, etc. SOME good companies will cross ship, but thats the exception not the rule.

When it comes to a $60 PSU, the chances of it actually being warrantied are slim to none. Its going in the bin.

Wow, thanks for tearing it up, @--SID-- ! You must be rich getting PSUs like that and voiding the warranty like a boss just for us to see..

Jokes aside, I have honestly never heard of Helly. Seems like an obscure OEM like RSY and all that. But thankfully the platform looks modern. Yate Loon fans, Ltec and AsiaX caps, not so good. Am I right? Maybe @jonnyguru can comment on the fan and cap choice, because all I know is that these are bad chocies (I might be wrong). But to be frank, I'd still put it on the class of MWE V2, TUF Bronze, and Corsair CX non-modular. Maybe the worst one out of those but still in the same class.

However I still hate Seasonic for doing this. Why can't they make a good successor to the S12II? It's simple, just design something with modern topology (LLC and D2D), use at least Hong hua fans, and Teapo/Elite caps. Job done!

Wow, thanks for tearing it up, @--SID-- ! You must be rich getting PSUs like that and voiding the warranty like a boss just for us to see..

Jokes aside, I have honestly never heard of Helly. Seems like an obscure OEM like RSY and all that. But thankfully the platform looks modern. Yate Loon fans, Ltec and AsiaX caps, not so good. Am I right? Maybe @jonnyguru can comment on the fan and cap choice, because all I know is that these are bad chocies (I might be wrong). But to be frank, I'd still put it on the class of MWE V2, TUF Bronze, and Corsair CX non-modular. Maybe the worst one out of those but still in the same class.

However I still hate Seasonic for doing this. Why can't they make a good successor to the S12II? It's simple, just design something with modern topology (LLC and D2D), use at least Hong hua fans, and Teapo/Elite caps. Job done!

I saw Sid's tear down in another forum already. Yeah... it's a terrible PSU.

They can't make a good successor to the S12II because it would cost too much. Seasonic fan boys are buying Focus and Prime. Not Bronze. The Bronze market is way too much of a commodity market these days. And with China tarrifs in the U.S. being 25%, the cost of a good Bronze encroaches into Made in Taiwan Gold territory (which is only a 10 to 15% cost adder to assemble SKD PSUs in Taiwan). So if it costs 10% more to make Gold and 15% more to build an SDK in Taiwan, then it costs the same as a (good quality) Chinese made Bronze.

Also, Japanese brand caps are getting hard to find BTW. As you may know, Hitachi divested itself of it's factory last year and Chemi-Con just announced that a raw material used in their KY series is no longer available so they're going to EOL that product line.

Also, Japanese brand caps are getting hard to find BTW. As you may know, Hitachi divested itself of it's factory last year and Chemi-Con just announced that a raw material used in their KY series is no longer available so they're going to EOL that product line.
Looks like maybe stock in Rubycon, Nichicon and Sanyo/Suncon ought to go up then. LOL.

Of course, that has the undesirable effect of causing units using those parts to also go up, so you lose some and you wi...eh, nah, you just lose some these days.

Jose Cardozo

Honorable
Feb 27, 2015
I saw that PSU tier list, the thermaltake thoughtpower grand rgb gold is tier a and the thoughtpower gf2 is tier c? I'm shocked that psu was release last year, why is that bad?

I saw that PSU tier list, the thermaltake thoughtpower grand rgb gold is tier a and the thoughtpower gf2 is tier c? I'm shocked that psu was release last year, why is that bad?
Pretty sure we have no idea WHICH tier list you are talking about, since there are several of them and they range from laughable to merely "has some flaws". Much as I've disagreed with some of the opinions of the folks doing the LTT tier list that we ALSO allowed to list it here, it's definitely better than anything else out there right now. And that does not necessarily say much. BUT, it's also clear that you won't end up with a crap unit using it either, and might end up with a lesser known GOOD unit if you do.

They can't make a good successor to the S12II because it would cost too much. Seasonic fan boys are buying Focus and Prime. Not Bronze. The Bronze market is way too much of a commodity market these days. And with China tarrifs in the U.S. being 25%, the cost of a good Bronze encroaches into Made in Taiwan Gold territory (which is only a 10 to 15% cost adder to assemble SKD PSUs in Taiwan). So if it costs 10% more to make Gold and 15% more to build an SDK in Taiwan, then it costs the same as a (good quality) Chinese made Bronze.
Fair enough, but since Corsair, ASUS, and Cooler Master are able to do it, they being one of the most famous brand in the PC building market should be able to do it. They at least should do Bronze in Taiwan, it won't cannibalize their Gold line up if the problem is tariffs.

Elite. Teapo. Nichicon.
How about Su'cson? Are they not good or are they having supply demand problems as well?

https://www.eteknix.com/thermaltake-gf2-argb-750w-premium-edition-review/9/?amp=1

This was the review cited. It doesn't seem that bad.

Would ask them about their tiering, not us.

I'm pretty sure their reasoning will not be sound. I'm not a fan of it. Probably because there is not enough info, no Aris review, or because it is a new platform that was never tested anywhere else.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
https://www.eteknix.com/thermaltake-gf2-argb-750w-premium-edition-review/9/?amp=1

This was the review cited. It doesn't seem that bad.

Would ask them about their tiering, not us.

Side note the "LTT" tier list is actually hosted HERE on this forum by members who are active, you can go to the list and PM the people who made it directly, or there is even a whole dedicated thread for discussing it. They have no association with LTT other than originally posting it there vs here.

Fair enough, but since Corsair, ASUS, and Cooler Master are able to do it, they being one of the most famous brand in the PC building market should be able to do it.

That's like saying Koenigsegg is the most famous car brand and they should be able to scale to GM's capacity. In the grand scheme of things, Seasonic is actually quite small.

How about Su'cson? Are they not good or are they having supply demand problems as well?

Su'scon is in shortage too. Those are the ones that actually had to be replaced with Nichicon in RM until supply can get back to where it needs to be.

That's like saying Koenigsegg is the most famous car brand and they should be able to scale to GM's capacity. In the grand scheme of things, Seasonic is actually quite small.
I am confused now, is it a capacity problem, a tariff problem, or a bit of both? If it's both why don't they design their own decent bronze platform (which I'm pretty sure they're capable of), and make someone else manufacture it? I mean this is essentially what they did with the B12 and G12, but they don't want to spend extra cents on better components?

And I'm pretty sure Seasonic vs Corsair and CM isn't like Koenigsegg vs GM.

PS. I am not trying to argue with you, I just want a discussion that iron my confusion out.