junebug18

Reputable
Apr 3, 2017
I’m new to rgb / argb. I don’t really know the difference but I think argb is for 5v 3pin header mobos and rgb is for 12v 4pin mobos. I have a msi z390 a pro with 12v 4pin. And I bought 6 pwm argb uphere fans that come with a fan hub. I plugged everything in except the 5v 3pin cable. I’m assuming that “mobo sync” cable is for controlling rgb with the motherboard so I don’t need that. But everything works fine, It has a cable to control the ARGB lights and the fan hub is plugged into one header on the bottom of motherboard for PWM control. And my PSU is powering the fan hub.

Is that safe? The fan hub is plugged into my PSU with SATA cable and plugged into 1 pwm header on my mobo. I thought you can’t have more than 4 fans plugged into 1 fan header. Or does the fan hub support the amount of voltage it needs? Idk how this works, I don’t have any issues FYI.

Solution
if the hub is separately powered then it doesn't draw any excessive amount from the motherboard, just instructions for PWM control that it will use for all connected fans.

junebug18

Reputable
Apr 3, 2017
i don't understand the question.
you mean having LED cables running to motherboard headers for software controlled RGB settings?

if it's 3 pin aRGB then it has to use a 3 pin header, if 4 pin RGB then 4 pin header.
mixing them will damage components and/or the motherboard.

well if I am able to control the aRGB with the reset cable that it comes with and I can control the fans using the PWM header… than what is the 5v 3pin aRGB header for than? It also has a tag on it labeled “MB SYNC” wouldn’t that cable just allow you to cycle the aRGB using software like Asus Aura Sync or Mystic Light? I linked the exact one I bought down below if you want to take a look at the fan hub/cables to understand what I’m saying…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKB1NT3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D1HGDSJ5SDJZ30QD76F6

junebug18

Reputable
Apr 3, 2017
if yes,
then you have to connect the hub's RGB cable to a motherboard header as i already described

So that is what the 5v 3pin cables are used for? Just to cycle the rgb using software? And I can’t because i have a 12v 4pin header. But I’m assuming I don’t need it because I’m okay with using the reset switch instead…