QOTD: Are You Going 32 or 64-bit for Win 7?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
64 bit, currently on win xp x64, have been on that since it came out, skipped windows Shista entirely. ubuntu x64 as well. as a matter of fact i wouldn't even have windows if it were not for my gaming addiction.

armitageid

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Running the 32bit RC on an old Shuttle XPC system I built years ago. I P4 2.4GHz with 1GB of memory. Runs pretty good on this old machine actually. As for my really system, it will be running 64bit.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Already have 2 Vista Ultimate 64-bits and my laptop is Vista Premium 64-bit... have 2 32 bit XP Pro setups and 2 EEE PCs with linux.

So I've already gone 64-bit... but to be honest, I am liking what I am seeing out of Microsoft and other commercial products less and less. Now that I do almost no gaming thanks to an ethic that won't let me pirate and excessively strict anti-piracy measures that may render my game uninstallable due to system upgrades and OS re-installation, I see fewer and fewer reasons to not go open source.

Or, should I say, hybridized open source. Honestly, why keep maintaining all these native windows OS systems? Why not spend $189 on a copy of VMWare Workstation, install linux, install VMWare player on all the machines, and keep VMWare images on a network share so that I only need one copy of each.

In other words, 'stop the upgrade path, I want to get off!'

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
64-bit. I'm sure it will be pretty mainstream when I decide to upgrade. I'm sticking with XP until games stop working on Windows XP. I've got it just how i like it. The perfect settings, the perfect theme (Modified Blue/Black Zune theme. Beautiful.)

I have used Win7 RC1-64, and it is nothing short of awesome. Highly efficient, drivers are easy to work with, software compatibility is great. Truly impressed. It's the best thing since Windows 2000. I will be getting Ultimate 64-bit in a few years, and hopefully that will hold me over till Windows 9.

G

Used Win7 in 64bit and I switched back to 32 because the PDF thumbnails in Exolorer don't work in 64bit.

G

i surf the web, watch movies, encode sometimes, listen to musics, download, play DotA(wc3), a few works on solidedge(same as catia proengineer, solidworks....) on a 32bits... 2gb ram e7300

windows7... is it gonna make my comp faster? take less space on my hd? if not then i dont care...

viciousteletuby28

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I've been using 64bit on my home (gaming) PCs since 2005 and have now also switched over my work PCs with Win 7 RC.
Even though many of these have 2GB RAM, I still prefer 64bit for several reasons. The main ones are that it confuses viruses to no end and that it gives me an excuse to not use old software that people try to force on me.

The negatives: many companies (like Sharp, HP, Samsung and others) are very slow to release drivers and sometimes don't make drivers for their products at all.
My biggest headaches at the moment: Samsung cellphone USB drivers and printer drivers in general. The cellphone issue can be bypassed with Bluetooth but I can't figure out how to get Win 7 to use Vista drivers for a network printer.

G

I would have switched to 64bit with Vista, but I never could bring myself to install that piece of - you know what -. So I'm still running 32bit XP at the moment. When I make the switch to Windows 7, it'll be 64bit for sure.

On the Linux-side I have been running 64bit since 2005 now. It only seemed natural to install a 64bit OS on 64bit hardware so I could use my system to its full potential. And I am not just talking about the RAM, there is after all some performance gain to be expected as well. It is about time for the Windows platform to finally catch up!

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
why does everyone rag on vista, sure it had a crappy launch, but it did round out to a very good os and much better than xp in the long run... win 7 is just a good release without all the bugs, minimized bloat, and a few gui enhancements.... plus consider vista was released the same time as hardware itself went thorugh some major changes across the board.. so yes in the beginning it was $hit, but its fixed now so stop raggin on the past

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Using 64-bit RC already, only problem I've had is with a really old crappy wireless card that already had issues , now I just get BsoDs telling me whats wrong instead of suddenly my connection drops and wont come back.

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
64-bit. And if I need 32-bit for compatibility, isn't that what virtualization is for? :)

Speaking of virtualization, Windows 7 will be running as a guest on my machine in either case.

My kid's will be sticking with Xp for the time being as their machines have 2GB RAM.

G

Not to be a troll, but this argument and the above reasoning of "so windows might be able to use my extra RAM" is the same as IP4 or IP6. "We're running out of IP addresses! All gone by 1998, umm 2001..2002..5..9..12?" Just as the reasoning of "so I can use my 12GB of RAM" is nuts. There are very few applications that use 3G (VMs, very large databases, poorly designed games, etc) Just ask Microsoft itself about making Visual Studio 64bit.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ricom/archive/2009/06/10/visual-studio-why-is-there-no-64-bit-version.aspx
Sorry, not happening there.

We should all be running Win7-64 for the little reasons that the above posters might not be aware of, namely driver signing (more code verification = less bugs), memory address mapping (ever loaded a 32bit object into a 64 bit program?), video memory address mapping, (big one) lots of applications will only come out in 64bit, get rid of the 32bit emulators (might as well just drive around with your hand brake on), more but you get the point though finally as above, to get the Visual Studio team get on with the 64bit party.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]n2cheval[/nom]Not to be a troll, but this argument and the above reasoning of "so windows might be able to use my extra RAM" is the same as IP4 or IP6. "We're running out of IP addresses! All gone by 1998, umm 2001..2002..5..9..12?" Just as the reasoning of "so I can use my 12GB of RAM" is nuts. There are very few applications that use 3G (VMs, very large databases, poorly designed games, etc) Just ask Microsoft itself about making Visual Studio 64bit.http://blogs.msdn.com/ricom/archiv [...] rsion.aspxSorry, not happening there.We should all be running Win7-64 for the little reasons that the above posters might not be aware of, namely driver signing (more code verification = less bugs), memory address mapping (ever loaded a 32bit object into a 64 bit program?), video memory address mapping, (big one) lots of applications will only come out in 64bit, get rid of the 32bit emulators (might as well just drive around with your hand brake on), more but you get the point though finally as above, to get the Visual Studio team get on with the 64bit party.[/citation]

hmma thats very funny, true but funny... especially when i run no direct 64 bit software, but i do run enough programs at once to occupy 6 of my 8 gbs of ram....

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
ok lets go for the obvious here and end this debate.... plain and simple: 64 bit is newer better faster, offers new advantages... i dont see any of you willing to stick with a steam engine when a deisel or electric is superior.... it would be like having a playstation one and saying youll stick with it even though far better technology is available.

Trauma

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Wayoffbase 07/18/2009 2:07 AM
Hide
Insert quote. Report -5+

fwaits :
64-bit, done and done... I'm using it in RC form right now and have had 0 issues with drivers, apps, games, whatever. 64-bit is the future, bring it on.

I called the support line to check which version they were offering for half price and was informed that both would be included. They will ship you both discs (32bit & 64 bit) with your order. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.