QOTD: What Do You Think of Our Weekend Comedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kategra84

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I think you showld try to write quality articles - not April 1st BS !
Tomshardware was an respectible site with very little biased articles.
I'v been visiting Tomshardware on regular since 2005 and after the site was bought i feel like some of the articles are not the same in quality as before.

kategra84

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I think you showld try to write quality articles - not April 1st BS !
Tomshardware was an respectible site with very little biased articles.
I'v been visiting Tomshardware on regular since 2005 and after the site was bought i feel like some of the articles are not the same in quality as before.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
personally i think yall should get rid of the bullet points and the footnote to see just HOW many people you can fool each and every weekend...

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]kategra84[/nom]I think you showld try to write quality articles - not April 1st BS !Tomshardware was an respectible site with very little biased articles.I'v been visiting Tomshardware on regular since 2005 and after the site was bought i feel like some of the articles are not the same in quality as before.[/citation]

We do write quality articles. We're not talking about replacing the content we already produce with entertainment. Just supplementing the weekends with entertainment.

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Yea, seriously I think you guys should just stick to posting "real" news articles. IF you guys are running out of content to report on try to start making new sections that get more news feeds. The time your writers wasted on that stupid Steve Jobs article could have been spent actually finding out a new piece of info on the upcoming conference on June 8th. Think about it, people seriously won't be waiting in utter anticipation for the weekend to see what you guys have come up with so let's stick to real journalism shall we.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]personally i think yall should get rid of the bullet points and the footnote to see just HOW many people you can fool each and every weekend...[/citation]

Like I said, we're not looking to trick anyone. We're just trying to give you guys a few laughs. Not marking them would seriously damage our credibility.

betrayer_

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
the weekend articles are fun, but i'm so used to THG being a factual site, by the end of each article i've forgoten it aint real. the footnote helps there.

personally i think its great, but maybe not the best idea to put it in the news section.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Waste of effort. I'm certain you all have a good sense of humor, but there are plenty of web sites for humor. If you discover something you think is worth sharing, put it in a link/partner section. I come to Tom's for news/reviews/advice. Have for years. Stick to your core competencies.

foldsomething

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I've been visiting nearly every weekday for the last 9 years (geez, time flies!), and I have to say that while the stories are funny, it's not really what I'm looking for from Tomshardware. I prefer the news and reviews and analysis straight up. If you keep doing them, definitely do NOT get rid of the bullet points.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I don't care, they're marked

If you don't like them, don't read them. It's not like they make these rather than making other articles, it just crap for the weekend.

And I think most of them are pretty retarded.

G

I find it annoying, just like the rest of this site and the opinionated, hypocritical people on it. I'm done with Tom's Hardware.

G

The only thing these articles do is anger the readers who expect Toms Hardware to report on real news and be factual. I've already shifted most of my time to other news sites because article quality has declined over the years. If you must post INTENTIONAL crap, create a new section titled 'Tom's B.S.' so the rest of us don't have to wade through it.

(You certainly make it difficult to submit feedback!!! It doesn't like my user name or email, and I've tried several user names)

blaze589

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I personally don't like it. In MS Outlook 2007 (my RSS reader) I delete all of the weekend bullet posts (thanks for that btw). I think you should definitely stick to factual entertaining news on the weekend. If you want to make me laugh... well it's pretty much NSFW jokes for me.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
I have a feeling that these weekend humor articles are ONLY on a trial basis BECAUSE they've been getting negative feedback.

I enjoy a good humor article, and I can tell the difference between fact and fiction (especially when bulleted), but these articles just aren't funny enough to make it worth my time to read it.

If I want to laugh, I go to The Onion. If I want good information in areas I'm interested, I come to Tom's.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]We do write quality articles. We're not talking about replacing the content we already produce with entertainment. Just supplementing the weekends with entertainment.[/citation]
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Like I said, we're not looking to trick anyone. We're just trying to give you guys a few laughs. Not marking them would seriously damage our credibility.[/citation]

I find a lot of your articles heavily laced with your opinion, when I think what most people want are just the facts. When you start putting your opinion into your reports is when you stop being a journalist and start being just a commentator. And you lose a whole hell of a lot of credibility when you do that (since you're apparently concerned about that stuff).

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
The "comedy" articals are not the reason that I come to Toms. I come to read real news, and mixing the "comedy" in with the news shows me that you are short of newsworthy content. Whie I'm sure with practice it will improve, I don't believe that the news bulletin header is the place for it.

It's like reading through a particularly poor forum...

scoob

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
* I think Tom's is the best.

* Tom's has the most talented people working for them.

* Tom's has the most creative Writers.

paranoidmage

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I personally hate these articles. I would like it if you guys posted factual articles on the weekend sometimes though, because that's when I have the most time to read them anyway.

G

OK, I got tired of reading the comments about halfway through, so now my 2 cents. For those of you that don't like the comedy articles, don't read them, you now know that they are clearly marked with a point and have a footnote, so stop complaining. As for the argument that the time spent writing these could be used to write or research an actual article, news flash, sometimes it is a slow day and a funny thought occurs to the writer, they just happen to save posting these until the weekend, where they mark the comedy articles so that you know they are not factual. And for those of you that think that they just plain aren't funny, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," the same is true of comedy, I think they're hysterical, but that's just me.

All that said, I guess my main point is, keep up the good work THG, I enjoy having my day brightened just a little bit by you guys, and to everyone else, if you don't like them, don't read them!

But if you do like them, then you're an awesome person with at least some sense of humor.

G

dont like it at all, would much prefer tomshardware to just stick to the facts, i can get my laughs elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.