Quad-Core and Quad-Processor.. what's the difference

flugie62

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I know this has probably been asked before, and I searched through some pages and didn't see a answer addressing this so I apologizes if it's been posted millions of times. Well, i'm building a computer on Dell.com. I'm looking at get this CPU that is described as a Quad processor, but Dells little rating system says it's leading quad core performance. Is Dell mistakenly rating it as quad-core, or is quad processor the same thing? If they are in fact different, is it safe to assume the quad core is much better?

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
It's probably not a quad processor (that is, four separate processors) system, it is probably a quad core system (four cores in the same silicon chip). However, you should provide links.

flugie62

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I realize this may sound extremely stupid if they are the same thing, but I hear quad core and quad processor being used like they are 2 different things. Just want to get it cleared up

flugie62

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Studio Mini
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q9550 (12MB L2, 2.83GHz, 1333FSB), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit

That's what it says for the processor, straight from Dell.com on my wish list.

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Q9550 is a quad core; it has four cores in one silicon chip. It is not really a quad processor system.. that is just a typo.

flugie62

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Solid, I was just on Intels website and it calls it a quad processor and then goes on to say it has 4 cores in the processor. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

ok what dell means is the PROCESSOR is a "Core 2 Quad" as in quad core, single package chip (4 processor CORES in one package vs quad processor aka 4 processors, 4 sockets etc)

btw very nice cpu, go for it!

Seems like typical marketing speak and while an accurate description from Dell, if they were more straightforward with their product descriptions, there would be less confusion for the consumer. Let's face, something labeled "Quad Processor" as opposed to "Quad Core" certainly sounds more impressive.

Is it a typo? Possibly. Is it typical corporate marketing speak as a means to hook the less tech savvy into believing they got more than what they paid for? Absolutely!

This unintentionally misleading marketing speak reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of a friend once. He as convinced that 256MB of shared memory and an onboard gpu was going to give him better gaming performance than 256MB of RAM with a discreet 128MB video card, "because the processor doesn't have to go to the video card to process the graphics" and, "it said on the Dell website that the shared memory would give excellent 3D gaming performance."

Yeah...right...wanna buy a bridge?

but I digress...

Yes, a quad-processor system and a quad core processor are quite different machines from a hardware standpoint. All quad-processor systems are large servers costing well over $5000 as the CPUs and motherboards have more I/O interconnects and such that increases cost. A standard desktop costing $800 may very well have a quad-core processor, but it will only have one of them. You won't run into a quad-processor machine for anywhere near what a desktop costs unless you happen to come across a used one on eBay or something.

Example of parts for a quad-CPU setup:
AMD Opteron 8350 ($894.00 each)
Tyan S4980G2NR ($789.99)

$4365.99 would buy you those CPUs and motherboard and you would end up with a 16-core unit.

uguv

Distinguished

It should say

"Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 (12MB L2, 2.83GHz, 1333FSB) processor, Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit"

instead and I think that would clear up the confusion.

uguv

Distinguished
Yes, but the word processor probably shouldn't be between the "quad" and the "Q9550". It's a "Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor", not a "Core 2 Quad processor Q9550".