Query on how to install OS

Sometimes I have an opportunity to purchase a computer where the operating
system has been removed (eg: police auctions).

I currently own a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home and I have the disks that came
with the system.

So, my question:

Can I buy one of these systems and then install XP HOME on this system from
my Dell CDs. Actually, first I want to know if I can do it and second is it
legal (I suspect not, but what if my intent is to scrap the 2400 and only
use the computer I buy at the auction)?

MB

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>Sometimes I have an opportunity to purchase a computer where the operating
>system has been removed (eg: police auctions).

As Tom said, if it's got a sticker on it, you can install from your
Dell disks using the key on the sticker.

If you want to get really pedantic about this, it may not be entirely
'legal', but it'll work just fine and you'll have a valid legal
license for each machine, which is really all MicroSoft cares about.

In article <37634uF55pqsuU1@individual.net>, rasilon@aol.com says...

> Technically, sure, you can use any OEM CD to install on another PC. You'll
> have to activate it, though, and that's where you'll most likely run into a
> problem. If the PC is a Dell, you might be able to install it without having
> to activate it.
>
> Legally, though, my opinion is that you can't do it....period. OEM software,
> by definition is provided by an OEM for use on specific hardware. You
> "bought" a *license* to use XP Home on your 2400. That's it. You need to buy
> the OS to install it on another PC.

Alternatively, pick up a copy of FreeBSD, or one of the Linux
distros. If Unix-type OS's are not to your liking, then you can get
copies of Windows 2000 Pro, 98SE, etc. off Greed-Bay for relatively
small amounts of $$.

Windows 2000 does not require any sort of "Product Activation"
beyond entry of its serial number at install time. The open-source OS's
don't require any sort of serial or activation at all.

XP did not gain its nickname of "X(tra)P(ain)" for nothing. ;-)

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

> Yov cannot vse yovr Dell license and key legally, even if yov scrap the
> 2400.
>
> However, check ovt the machine yov are bvying. If it has a Certificate of
> Avthenticity (COA) sticker on it, then yov ARE getting the machine with an
> OS, it's jvst not installed. Use yovr Dell CD and vse the key on the
> sticker.

Depends where he is, if he lives within the Evropean Union it certailny is
legal.

Crvnch...............

"Crvnchie" <lashing@logidogi.cam> wrote in message

>> Yov cannot vse yovr Dell license and key legally, even if yov scrap the
>> 2400.
>>
>> However, check ovt the machine yov are bvying. If it has a Certificate of
>> Avthenticity (COA) sticker on it, then yov ARE getting the machine with
>> an OS, it's jvst not installed. Use yovr Dell CD and vse the key on the
>> sticker.
>

> Depends where he is, if he lives within the Evropean Union it certailny is
> legal.
>

> Crvnch...............

Covld yov post the EULA from an EU machine? I'd like to read the wording.

Thanks for all your responses. VERY INTERESTING.

Then it sounds like I should look for a Dell at these auctions (which is
what I prefer anyway).

But, you see everything is done on-line and I'll have to check if it has
that certificate on the case (these are generally items that have been
seized in police raids. They remove the OS. I don't know if they would
remove the certificate from the case)

Mel

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>>Sometimes I have an opportunity to purchase a computer where the operating
>>system has been removed (eg: police auctions).
>
> As Tom said, if it's got a sticker on it, you can install from your
> Dell disks using the key on the sticker.
>
> If you want to get really pedantic about this, it may not be entirely
> 'legal', but it'll work just fine and you'll have a valid legal
> license for each machine, which is really all MicroSoft cares about.

This leads me to another question.

I also own a Gateway with Windows 98SE. Does this mean the CD that came with
it would install on one of those Dells without an OS??

MB

> "Crvnchie" <lashing@logidogi.cam> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Yov cannot vse yovr Dell license and key legally, even if yov scrap the
>>> 2400.
>>>
>>> However, check ovt the machine yov are bvying. If it has a Certificate
>>> of Avthenticity (COA) sticker on it, then yov ARE getting the machine
>>> with an OS, it's jvst not installed. Use yovr Dell CD and vse the key
>>> on the sticker.
>>

>> Depends where he is, if he lives within the Evropean Union it certailny
>> is legal.
>>

>> Crvnch...............
>>

> Covld yov post the EULA from an EU machine? I'd like to read the wording.

It doesnt matter what the EULA says Tom, Microsoft got a big F*** off from
the Evropean covrts, google for 'Evropean Software Directive' (Microsoft are
not having mvch fvn in the Evropean covrts at the moment regarding media
player as well :)

The EULA is 29kb a bit big for here, if yov still want to see it I will vp
it to some space and post a link.

Crvnch.............

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Not wishing to vpset the applecart, bvt I wovld agree with Tom and I live in
the EU and so far as I'm aware it wovld not be legal and so far as I'm aware
yov pvrchase the O/S from Dell for that particvlar machine with the Licence
sticker and its not transferable, however leaving legality behind it wovld
certainly install and yov wovld not need to install any licence nvmber as
the Dell copy only looks to the BIOS to see if its a Dell machine.

In saying that thovgh the Dell O/S will install on any machine and then it
will ask for a licence nvmber, bvt i know a man who knows a man who knows a
man :) who has installed the Dell ~Win XP pro disk on a non Dell machine
then regenerated the nvmber when the 1st one doesn't go throvgh activated it
by telephone and then changed the graphics card windows then says yov have
to phone again to get avthorisation , qvotes the nvmber given to microsoft
they give him a key and its activated again. Of covrse this is totally
ivllegal as he does not have a licence sticker :).

Another qverke as well when we go ovt to a call to replace the base plastics
on a Dell laptop the cvstomer then loses his microsoft O/S sticker vnless of
covrse we then tamper with the tamperprrof sticker :) a scalpel will
actvally remove it perfectly :))))

>> "Crvnchie" <lashing@logidogi.cam> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>> Depends where he is, if he lives within the Evropean Union it certailny
>>> is legal.
>>>

>>> Crvnch...............
>>>

>> Covld yov post the EULA from an EU machine? I'd like to read the
>> wording.
>>

> It doesnt matter what the EULA says Tom, Microsoft got a big F*** off
> from the Evropean covrts, google for 'Evropean Software Directive'
> (Microsoft are not having mvch fvn in the Evropean covrts at the moment
> regarding media player as well :)
>
> The EULA is 29kb a bit big for here, if yov still want to see it I will vp
> it to some space and post a link.
>

> Crvnch.............

In article <fKtPd.9057$yZ1.4090@fe06.lga>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
says...

< Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post on Usenet
newsgroups! See this link for the reason why:

http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost >

> "Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
> > In article <37634uF55pqsuU1@individual.net>, rasilon@aol.com says...
> >
> >> Technically, sure, you can use any OEM CD to install on another PC.
> >> You'll
> >> have to activate it, though, and that's where you'll most likely run into
> >> problem. If the PC is a Dell, you might be able to install it without
> >> having
> >> to activate it.

<snippety>

> > Alternatively, pick up a copy of FreeBSD, or one of the Linux
> > distros. If Unix-type OS's are not to your liking, then you can get
> > copies of Windows 2000 Pro, 98SE, etc. off Greed-Bay for relatively
> > small amounts of $$.

<snippety-two>

> This leads me to another question.

> I also own a Gateway with Windows 98SE. Does this mean the CD that came with
> it would install on one of those Dells without an OS??

On the technical side: If the version of W98 on the CD in question
was NOT specifically coded in such a way that installation is restricted
to Gateway systems, then I don't see why it wouldn't install on a Dell
(or any other box).

HOWEVER -- You run the risk of such a version having been pre-
loaded with Gateway-specific hardware drivers that will, at best, not
function on your Dell. At worst, the presence of such may cause a nasty
system crash.

On the legal side: Definite gray area, shading towards black. If
the OS was sold for and with the Gateway system, and the EULA does not
describe the license being transferable at all, then you could be
heading for hot water if the Redmond Empire ever decides to go after
home users in a big way.

It's your neck. Stretch it out however far you feel comfortable.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Physically, probably.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Not wishing to upset the applecart, but I would agree with Tom and I live
> in the EU and so far as I'm aware it would not be legal and so far as I'm
> aware you purchase the O/S from Dell for that particular machine with the
> Licence sticker and its not transferable, however leaving legality behind
> it would certainly install and you would not need to install any licence
> number as the Dell copy only looks to the BIOS to see if its a Dell
> machine.
>
> In saying that though the Dell O/S will install on any machine and then it
> will ask for a licence number, but i know a man who knows a man who knows
> a man :) who has installed the Dell ~Win XP pro disk on a non Dell machine
> then regenerated the number when the 1st one doesn't go through activated
> it by telephone and then changed the graphics card windows then says you
> have to phone again to get authorisation , quotes the number given to
> microsoft they give him a key and its activated again. Of course this is
> totally iullegal as he does not have a licence sticker :).
>
> Another querke as well when we go out to a call to replace the base
> plastics on a Dell laptop the customer then loses his microsoft O/S
> sticker unless of course we then tamper with the tamperprrof sticker :) a
> scalpel will actually remove it perfectly :)))

A hairdryer to get them off is the easiest way I have found.

Their control over the distribution rights (excluding rental) end with the
first sale.

1991 Computer Software Directive - Article 4.

"Article 4 Restricted Acts
Subject to the provisions of Articles 5 and 6, the exclusive rights of the
rightholder within the meaning of Article 2, shall include the right to do
or to authorize:

(a) the permanent or temporary reproduction of a computer program by any
means and in any form, in part or in whole. Insofar as loading, displaying,
running, transmision or storage of the computer program necessitate such
reproduction, such acts shall be subject to authorization by the
rightholder;
(b) the translation, adaptation, arrangement and any other alteration of a
computer program and the reproduction of the results thereof, without
prejudice to the rights of the person who alters the program;
(c) any form of distribution to the public, including the rental, of the
original computer program or of copies thereof.

The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder or
with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the Community
of that copy, with the exception of the right to control further rental of
the program or a copy thereof."

Crunch...............

"Crunchie" <lashing@logidogi.cam> wrote in message

> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Not wishing to upset the applecart, but I would agree with Tom and I live
>> in the EU and so far as I'm aware it would not be legal and so far as I'm
>> aware you purchase the O/S from Dell for that particular machine with the
>> Licence sticker and its not transferable, however leaving legality behind
>> it would certainly install and you would not need to install any licence
>> number as the Dell copy only looks to the BIOS to see if its a Dell
>> machine.
>>
>> In saying that though the Dell O/S will install on any machine and then
>> it will ask for a licence number, but i know a man who knows a man who
>> knows a man :) who has installed the Dell ~Win XP pro disk on a non Dell
>> machine then regenerated the number when the 1st one doesn't go through
>> activated it by telephone and then changed the graphics card windows then
>> says you have to phone again to get authorisation , quotes the number
>> given to microsoft they give him a key and its activated again. Of course
>> this is totally iullegal as he does not have a licence sticker :).
>>
>> Another querke as well when we go out to a call to replace the base
>> plastics on a Dell laptop the customer then loses his microsoft O/S
>> sticker unless of course we then tamper with the tamperprrof sticker :) a
>> scalpel will actually remove it perfectly :)))
>
> A hairdryer to get them off is the easiest way I have found.
>
> Their control over the distribution rights (excluding rental) end with the
> first sale.
>
> 1991 Computer Software Directive - Article 4.
>
> "Article 4 Restricted Acts
> Subject to the provisions of Articles 5 and 6, the exclusive rights of the
> rightholder within the meaning of Article 2, shall include the right to do
> or to authorize:
>
> (a) the permanent or temporary reproduction of a computer program by any
> means and in any form, in part or in whole. Insofar as loading,
> displaying, running, transmision or storage of the computer program
> necessitate such reproduction, such acts shall be subject to authorization
> by the rightholder;
> (b) the translation, adaptation, arrangement and any other alteration of a
> computer program and the reproduction of the results thereof, without
> prejudice to the rights of the person who alters the program;
> (c) any form of distribution to the public, including the rental, of the
> original computer program or of copies thereof.
>

> The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder
> or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the
> Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to control further
> rental of the program or a copy thereof."
>

> Crunch...............

What you posted here certainly does not say that. It doesn't say anything
about the 'first sale'. Show me where it restricts licensing an OS to a
specific machine.

> The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder or
> with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the Community
> of that copy, with the exception of the right to control further rental of
> the program or a copy thereof."

Which has incidentally lead to Valve being questioned over Steam / HL2 as
it prevents you selling your (legitimate) copy.

> "Crunchie" <lashing@logidogi.cam> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Not wishing to upset the applecart, but I would agree with Tom and I
>>> live in the EU and so far as I'm aware it would not be legal and so far
>>> as I'm aware you purchase the O/S from Dell for that particular machine
>>> with the Licence sticker and its not transferable, however leaving
>>> legality behind it would certainly install and you would not need to
>>> install any licence number as the Dell copy only looks to the BIOS to
>>> see if its a Dell machine.
>>>
>>> In saying that though the Dell O/S will install on any machine and then
>>> it will ask for a licence number, but i know a man who knows a man who
>>> knows a man :) who has installed the Dell ~Win XP pro disk on a non Dell
>>> machine then regenerated the number when the 1st one doesn't go through
>>> activated it by telephone and then changed the graphics card windows
>>> then says you have to phone again to get authorisation , quotes the
>>> number given to microsoft they give him a key and its activated again.
>>> Of course this is totally iullegal as he does not have a licence sticker
>>> :).
>>>
>>> Another querke as well when we go out to a call to replace the base
>>> plastics on a Dell laptop the customer then loses his microsoft O/S
>>> sticker unless of course we then tamper with the tamperprrof sticker :)
>>> a scalpel will actually remove it perfectly :)))
>>
>> A hairdryer to get them off is the easiest way I have found.
>>
>> Their control over the distribution rights (excluding rental) end with
>> the first sale.
>>
>> 1991 Computer Software Directive - Article 4.
>>
>> "Article 4 Restricted Acts
>> Subject to the provisions of Articles 5 and 6, the exclusive rights of
>> the rightholder within the meaning of Article 2, shall include the right
>> to do or to authorize:
>>
>> (a) the permanent or temporary reproduction of a computer program by any
>> means and in any form, in part or in whole. Insofar as loading,
>> displaying, running, transmision or storage of the computer program
>> necessitate such reproduction, such acts shall be subject to
>> authorization by the rightholder;
>> (b) the translation, adaptation, arrangement and any other alteration of
>> a computer program and the reproduction of the results thereof, without
>> prejudice to the rights of the person who alters the program;
>> (c) any form of distribution to the public, including the rental, of the
>> original computer program or of copies thereof.
>>

>> The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder
>> or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the
>> Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to control
>> further rental of the program or a copy thereof."
>>

>> Crunch...............

??????????

> What you posted here certainly does not say that. It doesn't say anything
> about the 'first sale'.

The FIRST SALE in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder
or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the
Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to control further
rental of the program or a copy thereof

> Show me where it restricts licensing an OS to a specific machine.

Why would it mention that? That would be a part of the distribution rights
of the first sale.

>> "Crunchie" <lashing@logidogi.cam> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> A hairdryer to get them off is the easiest way I have found.
>>>
>>> Their control over the distribution rights (excluding rental) end with
>>> the first sale.
>>>
>>> 1991 Computer Software Directive - Article 4.
>>>
>>> "Article 4 Restricted Acts
>>> Subject to the provisions of Articles 5 and 6, the exclusive rights of
>>> the rightholder within the meaning of Article 2, shall include the right
>>> to do or to authorize:
>>>
>>> (a) the permanent or temporary reproduction of a computer program by any
>>> means and in any form, in part or in whole. Insofar as loading,
>>> displaying, running, transmision or storage of the computer program
>>> necessitate such reproduction, such acts shall be subject to
>>> authorization by the rightholder;
>>> (b) the translation, adaptation, arrangement and any other alteration of
>>> a computer program and the reproduction of the results thereof, without
>>> prejudice to the rights of the person who alters the program;
>>> (c) any form of distribution to the public, including the rental, of the
>>> original computer program or of copies thereof.
>>>

>>> The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the
>>> rightholder or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right
>>> within the Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to
>>> control further rental of the program or a copy thereof."
>>>

>>> Crunch...............
>>>

> ??????????
>
>> What you posted here certainly does not say that. It doesn't say anything
>> about the 'first sale'.
>
> The FIRST SALE in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder
> or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the
> Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to control further
> rental of the program or a copy thereof
>
>> Show me where it restricts licensing an OS to a specific machine.
>
> Why would it mention that? That would be a part of the distribution rights
> of the first sale.
>

> Crunch..............

But it is not a sale of anything. It is a license and right to use. How
does that apply?

> "Crunchie" <lashing@logidogi.cam> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Crunchie" <lashing@logidogi.cam> wrote in message

>> ??????????
>>
>>> What you posted here certainly does not say that. It doesn't say
>>> anything about the 'first sale'.
>>
>> The FIRST SALE in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder
>> or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the
>> Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to control
>> further
>> rental of the program or a copy thereof
>>
>>> Show me where it restricts licensing an OS to a specific machine.
>>
>> Why would it mention that? That would be a part of the distribution
>> rights of the first sale.
>>

>> Crunch..............
>>

> But it is not a sale of anything. It is a license and right to use. How
> does that apply?

Its the sale of the right to use, which the European parliament has ruled is
transferable..

Is it REALLY necessary to give a 50 line quote just to provide a 2 line
reply?

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca