Question Questions about installing a SSD on my Desktop

agyaani

Honorable
Feb 18, 2019
I have a HP Envy Desktop (model no. 750-170se) that I bought few years back. The hard drive makes lot of noise at times and the system gets really slow or struck at times. So, I want to add a SSD to it and load Operating system to the SSD. I do not have the PCIe x16 slot open as I have a video card on that. I tried to get some options from HP support and I was told that I have an M.2 socket 3, key M on the motherboard which supports PCIe x4 / SATA interface. As I am not that well versed with all this recent technologies I have a few questions:
  1. I guess I can install a SSD using this slot. But which SSD I need to buy as I see there is a M.2 SSD and there is a NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD.
  2. I am looking for a 1TB mid price option. Any recommendations?
  3. How to install the acquired SSD?
  4. Is there any way I can clone my operating system from HDD and transfer it to SSD or I would need to perform a fresh install?
Many thanks for guiding an uneducated person!

PS: The PC is not used for any gaming purpose but I do run a Plex server form it to watch my extensive media library on my TV. Additionally, I do not want to spend too much so a any budget options are most welcome.

Last edited:

agyaani

Honorable
Feb 18, 2019
Thanks!

So for 2.5 form SSD, all I need to do is top connect a SATA Cable to the free SATA port in the motherboard and the SSD. Plus, I need a power cable for SSD. I see that there is a cable that says P4 lying free (which I assume is power cable as P3 is connected to my HDD). Is there anything else I need to know? I remember with old HDDs we had to do some jumper settings for making them master or slave, but I read somewhere that is not required for SATA drives. Is that right?

Additionally, I have another question, just for my curious self. If needed can I use both M.2 NVMe SSD and a 2.5 form SSD? Or will that create any issues?

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
So for 2.5 form SSD, all I need to do is top connect a SATA Cable to the free SATA port in the motherboard and the SSD. Plus, I need a power cable for SSD. I see that there is a cable that says P4 lying free (which I assume is power cable as P3 is connected to my HDD). Is there anything else I need to know? I remember with old HDDs we had to do some jumper settings for making them master or slave, but I read somewhere that is not required for SATA drives. Is that right?
Almost all recent machines use the same SATA cable for either HDD or SDD and it should like this (15-pin power cable and 7-pin data cable).
Additionally, I have another question, just for my curious self. If needed can I use both M.2 NVMe SSD and a 2.5 form SSD? Or will that create any issues?
Yes, you can.
*you should quote whoever you want to answer in order to see the message. I've just seen it by mere chance.

Reactions: agyaani