[SOLVED] Ram DDR3 1600 upgrade advice please

Apr 20, 2020
Good afternoon all

i want to upgrade the ram in my old rig
motherboard is https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-MA790XT-UD4P-rev-10#ov
I currently have 4 x 2 sticks (2 x duel)
CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 are the 4 sticks
It can use a max of 16gb
so i want to get 2x 4gb kit first to see if they work.
But I've looked around a bit but getting concerned that my choices are quite limited. on some sites that you add MB into and attach memory to it says incompatible.

So I am here again to see if anyone has any advice on a particular kit to look for?
I was looking for CMX8GX3M2B1600C9 But cannot find any.

Any help on which would be compatible would be ace.

thank you

Solution
Hi. not sure about the 1866+ .

Can you confirm where you see this? is this DDR3?

also i assume DDR3 SDRAM is same as DDR3? so i am assuming i have DDR3 SDRAM?

thank you
It's on your motherboard spec page. There is no such thing as 1666, but 1866 is the next speed so I think the spec has a typo and the real spec is 1866+.

Yes, DDR3. DDR3 in these higher speeds is technically overclocked, but many motherboards support it.
if you are really concerned about compatibility, check your motherboard's product support page and it should have a list of certified compatible memory.
though i have never had an issue with RAM being strictly incompatible with any certain motherboard.

what do mean by 4 x 2 sticks? four 2GB, or 4GB times two?
and (2x duel)? you mean you have two sets of two(4) dual channel sticks?

Good afternoon all

i want to upgrade the ram in my old rig
motherboard is https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-MA790XT-UD4P-rev-10#ov
I currently have 4 x 2 sticks (2 x duel)
CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 are the 4 sticks
It can use a max of 16gb
so i want to get 2x 4gb kit first to see if they work.
But I've looked around a bit but getting concerned that my choices are quite limited. on some sites that you add MB into and attach memory to it says incompatible.

So I am here again to see if anyone has any advice on a particular kit to look for?
I was looking for CMX8GX3M2B1600C9 But cannot find any.

Any help on which would be compatible would be ace.

thank you
Go here.

Scan down to the 2x4GB kit and click on where to buy.
Click on the newegg button.

Apr 20, 2020
if you are really concerned about compatibility, check your motherboard's product support page and it should have a list of certified compatible memory.
though i have never had an issue with RAM being strictly incompatible with any certain motherboard.

what do mean by 4 x 2 sticks? four 2GB, or 4GB times two?
and (2x duel)? you mean you have two sets of two(4) dual channel sticks?
Hi
A dual channel on a Mb means i need two identical sticks of same type in each. thank you

Apr 20, 2020
With ddr3, I would just get 4x 4gb identical modules of a similar spec to the existing ones you have. You should also be able to run 8gb so I would look for a 16gb set of those as they will allow you to go to 32gb in the future (coming soon).
Yes that is my goal and looking for CMX8GX3M2B1600C9. however as i cant seem to find any in UK i am open to others that would be compatible. I had already looked at the support list of ran on manufacturer site but that is very outdated and best is 2 gb options on their site. so it was not that useful.

i was going to get 1 kit first (2x4) of CMX8GX3M2B1600C9. Or similar to see if they worked with no issues then get the same again.
thank you

Reactions: SamirD
Yes that is my goal and looking for CMX8GX3M2B1600C9. however as i cant seem to find any in UK i am open to others that would be compatible. I had already looked at the support list of ran on manufacturer site but that is very outdated and best is 2 gb options on their site. so it was not that useful.

i was going to get 1 kit first (2x4) of CMX8GX3M2B1600C9. Or similar to see if they worked with no issues then get the same again.
thank you
I think if you get any brand ram with the same module construction and specs, they should work fine. I've seen mismatched ddr3 ram work that I thought wouldn't.

Hi. not sure about the 1866+ .

Can you confirm where you see this? is this DDR3?

also i assume DDR3 SDRAM is same as DDR3? so i am assuming i have DDR3 SDRAM?

thank you
It's on your motherboard spec page. There is no such thing as 1666, but 1866 is the next speed so I think the spec has a typo and the real spec is 1866+.

Yes, DDR3. DDR3 in these higher speeds is technically overclocked, but many motherboards support it.

Solution
Apr 20, 2020

I think that might be a typo and should be 1066 or 1600. as other sites go up to 1600 for this MB type.