Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2020
So i was using an laptop with these specs :
  • Manufacturer : ASUS
  • Model Name : A456UQ
  • Processor : i7-7500U Kabylake 2.70Ghz
  • RAM : 4GB (Integrated) + 4GB Samsung RAM (Default)
  • BIOS Ver : X456UQK.307
And i think about 2 months back, my laptop won't detect one of the RAM (I didn't remember if it was after some Windows updates or not).
In the BIOS, it only shows 4096 MB of memory. In the task manager also it only shows 3900++ MB of memory also, so i think one of my RAM is faulty.
But i tried to install CPU-Z, and it showed 4GB with Single Channel in the Memory Tab, and Samsung Module Manuf. on the Slot 1 in the SPD Tab.

And then i tried to reseat the RAM, and after several tries, the BIOS showed 8192 MB of memory. The task manager also showed 7900++ MB of memory.
After that, i opened CPU-Z and it showed 8GB with Dual Channel in the Memory Tab, and Samsung Module Manuf. on the Slot 1 in the SPD Tab.

But after i shut down / restart the laptop for several times, the system only detected 4GB of the memory again.

So, i was wondering what is the main problem of these issues. I already tried to update my BIOS from 304 to 307 and also the device drivers but got nothing. I was thinking if i installed buggy drivers or i missed something. Can somebody help me to solve?

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This sounds like a hardware issue, not a driver issue. If the BIOS doesn't recognize the memory, then Windows can't see it either (where the drivers are in play).

Reseating memory several times indicates a possible clue. Is the memory slot clean of all debris?

Jan 9, 2020
Yeah i think, i had tried to clean it many times but it kept the same problem.

I was wondering why the CPU-Z can detect the dedicated RAM if the BIOS can't detect it.

Can anybody help me? This is really urgent.
If reseating the module doesn't work, can you buy a new 4GB module in a local shop or online to test with and return if it doesn't fix anything? Return the current 4GB module for replacement if you bought it or contact ASUS about a replacement module if it came with the laptop. You will need to get the laptop repaired by ASUS if the slot is defective.

Jan 9, 2020
I already brought my laptop to ASUS Service Center, but they told that i have to replace the Mobo due to the defective RAM slot and it cost around the price of the laptop itself. So i think i wont replace it for now.

But i still have a question, why the RAM is detected everytime i reseat it?

Jan 9, 2020
Update :
Now the RAM won't be detected even after i reseat it. But, the CPU-Z still detects the informations of the RAM.

Is there anyone can help me? Need itu to run do my uni projects.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like the Asus advice to replace the motherboard is the only answer that will actually work. Sorry, not much you can do otherwise if there is a physical problem/defect.

Does the BIOS detect all of the memory, when installed? Also, are you running the most recent BIOS for your system?

Jan 9, 2020
Sounds like the Asus advice to replace the motherboard is the only answer that will actually work. Sorry, not much you can do otherwise if there is a physical problem/defect.

Does the BIOS detect all of the memory, when installed? Also, are you running the most recent BIOS for your system?
Why the CPU-Z still detect it if it was a physical defect?

The BIOS didn't detect the installed RAM. Yes, the BIOS version is the newest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.