Question RAM slot isn't working after cleaning dust from inside PC ?

ceka6697

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
Hi everyone. Seven months ago, I cleaned out my PC with compressed air, and since then, the fourth RAM slot hasn’t been working. As soon as I install a RAM module, the system freezes solid after starting up, sometimes even at the BIOS splash screen. Only once have I been able to use the PC under maximum load, running multiple games consecutively and playing Ghost of Tsushima for 5 hours straight without any errors or freezes. However, the PC still froze solid after 6 hours while I was just chatting with a friend on Facebook.

Yesterday, I tested this slot with Memtest, and it reported 0 errors. I’ve also tested the RAM module in another PC, and it works fine. Additionally, I’ve swapped out the CPU and GPU during this time. The motherboard is an Asus Z690-E Gaming, and the RAM is Corsair Dominator 32GB 5600 MHz. I can’t check the first and third slots because the water cooler blocks the first slot. The issue is specifically with the fourth slot. Currently, the PC is running fine with the RAM installed in the second slot without any problems.

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K (previously i9-13900K, same problem)
Motherboard: Asus Z690-E Gaming
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR5 32GB 5600MHz (2x16GB)
Cooling: NZXT Z73 360mm
GPU: Asus RTX 4080S Strix (previously EVGA 3090 FTW3, same problem)
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1300W
SSD: WD SN850 1TB
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB
BIOS: Previously 2802, now 3701 (same problem)

I’ve tried enabling and disabling XMP profiles 1 and 2, cleared the CMOS, and reinstalled Windows, but the issue persists. The PC sometimes displays a blue screen with different error codes, but most of the time it just freezes completely—even on the BIOS screen. For instance, the system froze when I tried configuring BIOS settings

Lutfij

Titan

Flash the BIOS to version 3802 then clear the CMOS. See if that helps.

Try and clear the CMOS like so:
Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the battery after 30mins.

ceka6697

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018

Flash the BIOS to version 3802 then clear the CMOS. See if that helps.

Try and clear the CMOS like so:
Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the battery after 30mins.
But I have already done all of this. I updated BIOS several times before and all the times I had the same problem :(