ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
Hi,

I'm really in a stuck place and have tried loads of solutions to solve this issue but nothing's working. I'll try o keep this brief. Essentially this issue popped out of nowhere, I turned on my pc as normal, speaker gives one beep indicating no issues and I'm met with the windows log in. Generally speaking I have enough time to log actually onto the desktop, but either way I literally have a matter of seconds before I get a black screen, with no way for the computer to post/show an image, no action I perform on the mouse/keyboard do anything and so I'm faced with two choices, 1 restart and experience the same issue over and over or , keep forcing shut down and go into safe mode. I've tried the following solutions (not necessarily in order):

• Loading in Safe mode and deleting the graphics card from the device manager.
  • Loading in Safe mode and rolling back graphics drivers.
  • I have 4 sticks of 8gb ram and I've tried them individually/single slot. (It is on the QVL List).
  • Tried a different monitor.
  • Tried a different cable (I've used display port and HDMI).
  • Tried different display ports on back of GPU.
  • Tried re-installing windows whilst retaining personal files (not 100% sure if this actually finalised as screen went black...).
  • Turning my monitor on and off.
  • I had a few light overclockes and so I've entered the BIOS and reset all setting to default.
  • Going into Low resolution mode.

The computer works fine in safe mode and has also worked in Safe mode with networking, (although now networking is playing up). For some reason, it's lasting for longer in much lower resolution modes but still cutting to black screen after some time. There may also be other troubleshooting I've done but this is now day 4 and I'm forgetting where I last left off.. I built this computer around 2yrs ago ish, and I've never had any problems.

I started experimenting with over clocking around 6 months plus ago and had a few learning experiences/teething problems but eventually everything seemed completely stable, I've been playing games whilst overclocked for months upon months without a single issue or warning to suggest that I wasn't damaging anything etc and I'm always using MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU temps, none of which have gone over a safe level. One thing I will say, is that I've never updated the BIOS as I've heard some horror stories around people destroying their PC'S, but I struggle to see how logically this would be giving me this issue and I've always kept Windows 10 and my graphics drivers up to date.

Specs are:
Ryzen 2700X.
EVGA RTX 2080Ti.
4x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 ram (2 seperate kits of 8gb, installed and different times, but always worked fine).
Corsair RM850x PSU.
ASUS Crosshair VII, X470 MoBo.

I challenge you to diagnose my problem as I'm completely stumped.. Good Luck.. (and thanks for the time) :)

Lutfij

Titan
You should think about backing up all your critical data while in Safe Mode and then reinstall your OS from scratch. Before you reinstall, be sure to fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?
One thing I will say, is that I've never updated the BIOS as I've heard some horror stories around people destroying their PC'S, but I struggle to see how logically this would be giving me this issue and I've always kept Windows 10 and my graphics drivers up to date.
The thing is, this OS(Windows 10) is more dependent on the BIOS than the previous OSes. If you happen to be on an old version of BIOS, the hiccups you're seeing is normal...others have been hit with worse.

Check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment and cross reference it with the BIOS version(s) listed on motherboard manufacturer's support site. If you have a number of them to update, go through them gradually, do not jump to the latest. Keep in mind to update chipset drivers(where necessary, if there is anything mentioned prior to the next BIOS update).

ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
You should think about backing up all your critical data while in Safe Mode and then reinstall your OS from scratch. Before you reinstall, be sure to fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?
One thing I will say, is that I've never updated the BIOS as I've heard some horror stories around people destroying their PC'S, but I struggle to see how logically this would be giving me this issue and I've always kept Windows 10 and my graphics drivers up to date.
The thing is, this OS(Windows 10) is more dependent on the BIOS than the previous OSes. If you happen to be on an old version of BIOS, the hiccups you're seeing is normal...others have been hit with worse.

Check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment and cross reference it with the BIOS version(s) listed on motherboard manufacturer's support site. If you have a number of them to update, go through them gradually, do not jump to the latest. Keep in mind to update chipset drivers(where necessary, if there is anything mentioned prior to the next BIOS update).

Thank you for getting back to me. The BIOS and Chipset now have the latest drivers installed, but still no changes, just still instant black screen when windows loads. As I mentioned in my original post, even when I try to reset windows (but keep files), but before windows can download the screen just goes black.. I want to try and reinstall it using the creation tool like you mentioned but I don't have any other storage devices capable of backing up my computer. I think I'm just gonna start fresh anyway as I don't see how it can get much worse now.