Question Random clicking noise from GPU (like rattlesnake noise) ?

Mar 1, 2022
Hey guys, I'm getting some clicking noise from GPU randomly (not constant) while idle. When I increase the fan speed to 60% or above it is gone or very rare. It is a HP Prebuilt and It has been just over a month getting the built and experiencing the issue for the past two weeks. When I contacted HP Support, they want me to "RESET my Windows" ,"RESTORE my Windows" and do "CLOUD RECOVERY" on my PC. I can't do that for their pointless troubleshooting.

The noise is not constant for every 2 minutes it comes like for 5 seconds while the fan speed is at 30% at idle. I checked the case and there was no external wire hitting the fans but I haven't removed the gpu to check futher. Let me know what you guys think. Grateful for the community here.
Thanks!

Here's the video of clicking noise : https://streamable.com/3jdvga
If you listen closely you can hear the noise, ignore the fan noise.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, does sound like something clicking in there. I would also suspect a fan/fan bearing.

Coil whine can sound like that sometimes, but it doesn't seem consistent enough.

Use something like MSI Afterburner and see if you can shut the GPU fans off temporarily. That would help you narrow it down.

Don't rule out the PSU, chassis fan, or CPU fan. You can unplug the latter two and see if the noise stops.

Mar 1, 2022
Hmm, does sound like something clicking in there. I would also suspect a fan/fan bearing.

Coil whine can sound like that sometimes, but it doesn't seem consistent enough.

Use something like MSI Afterburner and see if you can shut the GPU fans off temporarily. That would help you narrow it down.

Don't rule out the PSU, chassis fan, or CPU fan. You can unplug the latter two and see if the noise stops.
The sound is not consistent. I opened the box and I felt it was coming from the graphics card. Not sure how I can set the fan speed to 0.
But like 90% sure it is coming from gpu. and 10% for PSU. not chasis fan and cpu fan since I tested it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can always unplug the GPU fans if they are easy to get to. If not you should be able to set them to zero with something like MSI Afterburner, the card will throttle itself to avoid overheating, but if you can't make the sound with the GPU's fans off, then it is certainly the cause.

Mar 1, 2022
You can always unplug the GPU fans if they are easy to get to. If not you should be able to set them to zero with something like MSI Afterburner, the card will throttle itself to avoid overheating, but if you can't make the sound with the GPU's fans off, then it is certainly the cause.
Yeah just confirmed it. It is indeed coming from the left fan of the graphics card. I removed there was no wire in contact within the shroud.