[SOLVED] Random disconnects driving me insane

Virro

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hey everyone.

I have always turned to you guys when I had computer issues, and I honestly think this is the most helpful place on the internet to ask for help, so I present to you, the most frustrating issue I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

I will post a quick summary here, and then make sure to include all the specs and whatever else is needed:

I recently have had quite a big problem with my internet. I get random disconnects only lasting about 3-5 seconds. The timing of these interruptions appear random and will sometimes happen a few times within an hour or with a few hours interval.

Not enough to throw me out of games, but enough to make it all freeze and then pick up again at lightning speed to catch up with what I missed. I do, however, get disconnected from any voice chats and am unable to access websites; complete internet shutdown for a few seconds. I have been running pings during the interruptions, and it shows up as a few lines of “connection timed out” and then resuming as normal.
I might be crazy, but I feel as if the problem appears more often when playing online games, but it might be my own confirmation bias. My desktop is running on ethernet, but I am not sure if my wifi also disconnects as I don’t think the interruptions are long enough for my phone to drop the wifi icon. I have been contacting my ISP a whole lot, but I feel as if they are just giving me the runaround and not actually understanding the issue.
My ISP set up a ping for a week and asked me to write down the exact time where my internet got disconnected, but it didn’t seem like my data quite matched their own recording, and the issue just kinda stopped there.

Here is a list of all the “Do’s”

Motherboard: Asus Z170-P
Powersupply: Seasonic SSP-650 RT 650W

ISP: Stofa A/S (I live in Denmark). I use a cable connection.
Number of devices connected: I have 2 devices connected to Ethernet which is my desktop and my Philips Hue bridge
I have 7 devices connected to wifi including Iphone, Google Home, 2x Chromecasts and a Chrome audio.

I am using a router/modem provided by my ISP which is a Technicolor CGA4233STO.

Hopefully this is all the details needed, if not I will obviously be happy to supply any information that might be needed to solve this issue.

Solution
You need to do what the ISP did.

First run tracert to say 8.8.8.8

Now run constant ping in background cmd windows to Your router (hop1), the ISP router (hop2), the final IP. What you want to show the ISP that you see no loss to hop1 but hop2 and the final hop show loss. This would indicate a issue with the connection to your house.

Now run constant ping in background cmd windows to Your router (hop1), the ISP router (hop2), the final IP. What you want to show the ISP that you see no loss to hop1 but hop2 and the final hop show loss. This would indicate a issue with the connection to your house.

Solution

Virro

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Hey. Thanks for your reply, but I don't think I understand exactly what you mean. Are you able to dumb it down a bit for me? I am a little new when it comes to networking and the likes

Virro

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Tracert and ping a very simple commands. Pretty much you need to try them to learn to use them.

Alright I figured out how to go about it. It appears that I only experience issues on the ISP ping. I get a single "Request timeout" and then about 5-7 "General Failure"

Time to call and complain I suppose?

Hopefully they will see the issue also. You want to show them a screen cap that shows both ping windows open with no loss to your router at the same time you see loss to the ISP. This is to avoid them blaming your pc or router.

Getting "general failure" is very concerning though. That almost always means there is a problem with the PC. If it consistently does that I suspect you are also losing ping to your router. General failure is mostly related to nic drivers or maybe firewall issues.

Virro

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hopefully they will see the issue also. You want to show them a screen cap that shows both ping windows open with no loss to your router at the same time you see loss to the ISP. This is to avoid them blaming your pc or router.

Getting "general failure" is very concerning though. That almost always means there is a problem with the PC. If it consistently does that I suspect you are also losing ping to your router. General failure is mostly related to nic drivers or maybe firewall issues.

Havent really been able to find a solution, so im gonna buy a network card and see if it changes things. WIll something like TG-3468 work with my motherboard? Havent installed something like this before

Virro

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Just as closure here. I ended up bying a cheap TG-3468 adapter along with a new cable and it works perfectly now. I suspect a broken ethernet port on my motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS