Question Random no video output when starting sometimes, please Help!

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Whenever I turn on my PC it will only give video/audio output through the GPU or the motherboard, but not both. It's like it randomly chooses each time i turn it on. Sometimes it only works though the GPU and sometimes only through the motherboard. I am connecting through HDMI to my tv. Occasionally when I am gaming while using the GPU my PC will freeze, and sometimes even restart on its own. when turning back on i can only get output through the motherboard. I will try over and over again to connect through the GPU, sometimes it will work in 5 minutes, sometimes not for WEEKS! what is weird is that when it is working through the GPU, I am usually unable to unplug the HDMI and plug it into the motherboard, without getting a blue screen. I have been told it could be bad GPU, maybe bad CPU, maybe bad RAM, maybe bad PSU, maybe bad cables. i dont want to spend a bunch of money on parts I dont need, so please help me get to the bottom of this! This is the first PC i have ever built and there is a lot i do not know.

PSU- CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
SSD- SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM
Motherboard- ASRock B250 Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel
CPU- Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57500 Desktop Processor
GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), 06G-P4-6267-KR
RAM- CORSAIR Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model CMU16GX4M2C3000C15

Is the BIOS of the motherboard on version

Is the GPU plugged into the upper PCIe slot?

Is it connected tightly into the slot? Maybe disconnecting and reconnecting it can help

try a different HDMI cable

use ddu uninstaller to remove the GPU driver and reinstall the latest nvidia.com driver

Is you CPU or GPU overheating?
check with gpu-z (sensors tab) and coretemp

Reactions: DoctorSmooth

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
-what do you mean "BIOS of motherboard on version?"
-I am not sure about the PCIe slot but it seems to be plugged into top one? Is that related to the "sata cable"?
-I have literally taken out every cable and component of the PC, cleaned/dusted them, and put it back together multiple times.
-tried 3 different HDMI cables and different TVs/monitors
-uninstalled/reinstalled GPU drivers multiple times
-CPU and GPU do not show high temps, so i don't believe it is overheating

I just turned on my PC with HDMI plugged into motherboard and got just a blue screen. unplugged then hooked into GPU and have full video/audio output. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that if the GPU was the issue it wouldn't be behaving this way. But when the PC occasionally freezes and crashes, it is always connected to the GPU at that time. So confusing.

-what do you mean "BIOS of motherboard on version?"

Sorry, forgot the version number. I meant: Is it on version 2.40 ?

-I am not sure about the PCIe slot but it seems to be plugged into top one? Is that related to the "sata cable"?
What Sata cable?
Disconnect the GTX1060 and reconnect it. Be sure the power cable is plugged in completely (1x 8-Pin PCIe power connector)

-uninstalled/reinstalled GPU drivers multiple times
Did you use the tool ddu uninstaller to remove the GPU driver ? Only reinstalling via the windows uninstall process might not be working.

I just turned on my PC with HDMI plugged into motherboard and got just a blue screen. unplugged then hooked into GPU and have full video/audio output.
Which exact bluescreen was it showing?

Last edited:

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Sorry, forgot the version number. I meant: Is it on version 2.40 ?
I typed "msinfo32" into the "run" app and these were the results for versions:
"Version............................................10.0.18363 Build 18363
BIOS Version/Date......................American Megatreds Inc. P1.00, 11/1/2016
SMBIOS Version...........................3.0"

PCIe connected properly.

Did you use the tool ddu uninstaller to remove the GPU driver ? Only reinstalling via the windows uninstall process might not be working.
No but I'll look for a ddu uninstaller and go through the process now

Which exact bluescreen was it showing?
"No Signal!"

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Just used DDU uninstaller and reinstalled the latest NVIDIA drivers. was all going well until about 10 minutes into gaming and screen froze. I had to manually turn off PC and when i turned it back on the blue screen with "No Signal!" was back. switched the hdmi to the motherboard and that is how i got back to this page to update you.

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Got BIOS up to date(version 2.4) and when it rebooted, still connected to MB, it worked so I unplugged and hooked into GPU. "No Signal.'" So i turned off pc then turned back on, still through GPU, and it is working right now. Maybe i can't switch from MB to GPU while pc is still on? Anyway, thank you so much for the help! I'll give it a few days to see how it acts.

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Not even 20 minutes into gaming and the video freezes. i had headset on(plugged into USB port on front of PC) and could still hear the game in the background. I tried pressing keys and clicking to see if I was still interacting with the game, but with a lack of extra in-game noises, I concluded that my keyboard and mouse didn't seem to have any effect, not even when "alt-tabbing." I hope this extra info helps.

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Idk if this has to do with anything but i noticed my MB is "DDR4 2400/2133 " and my RAM is DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) . I've read somewhere that the speed must be equal or faster on the MB. Is this true and could it be causing an issue?

while the PC is still on, you are not able to switch (hotplug) the two graphics units

The RAM is most likely set to 2400MHz in BIOS, shouldn´t have influence on the GPU crashing.

Do you use display port or VGA or DVI to connect to the monitor?

install the latest Intel drivers as well, like chipset inf , graphics and management engine drivers
you can use the intel update utility for this

run userbenchmark.com and post the link of your result

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
I only use HDMI to connect to TV.

Ok i used the chipset inf tool or whatever it is and downloaded 2 drivers. Still no signal from GPU.

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25232286
Keep in mind, these results are WITHOUT being connected to the GPU. This is with HDMI connected to Motherboard. But what is weird is that the results say "8GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's sufficient for the vast majority of games" but i have 2 8GB sticks of RAM, so shouldn't it say "16GB?" It also says "With a good single core score, this CPU can easily handle the majority of general computing tasks" but i have a quad-core processor. Does this mean my CPU and one of my sticks of RAM is bad??

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
run userbenchmark.com and post the link of your result
Ok so I switched around the 2 sticks of RAM and took out/put back in the GPU. The GPU seems to currently be working so i ran the test again. Here are the results:
UserBenchmarks: Game 56%, Desk 71%, Work 42%
CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 - 67.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 58.4%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 106.4%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 77%
MBD: Asrock B250 Pro4

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25316536

DoctorSmooth

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Everything has been working until today when the screen started having random freezes for a second or 2 while gaming. Eventually it fully froze but i could still hear the game in the background and i was still able to communicate through voice chat with a friend. After then restarting the PC, I receive no video output from GPU. So I plug the hdmi to the motherboard and that is working. I thought it was fixed, but here we are 3 weeks later. Any other thoughts? Should I just spend the $400 for a new GPU and hope that will fix it?