[SOLVED] Random restarts while gaming, even on super light games

aluizgollo

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018
Hi there!

I'm having some kinda random PC restarts. It started happening after I bought my RTX 2060, but not exactly after, more like a few weeks later. I'm not sure how much these 2 informations are related to each other. They are not totally random restarts, they happen when GPU is being used, but in some specific cases. Currently, it is restarting while: playing Destiny 2 through Steam (sometimes I can't even play the game, as soon as the character appears on screen, the PC reboots), rendereing with Blender (I do 3D renders with some frequency), while playing CS:GO and Valorant (which is odd, since they are far from demanding games).

These are my specs:
MB: Gigabyte B360 Aorus Gaming 3 (currently up to date with F14)
CPU: Intel i5-8400 (not overclocked)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6GB (overclocked from manufacturer)
RAM: 2x HyperX Fury 8GB 2400Mhz modules, 16GB total. They are obviously in dual channel.
PSU: EVGA 650W, model 100-N1-0650-L0.
HDD: 1x Seagate BarraCuda 3TB, 5400RPM.
SSD: 1x SanDisk Plus 480GB.
Monitor: LG ultrawide 29", 60-75Mhz (comes default with 60, but it can be changed in Nvidia control panel to 75).

Running Windows 10 Pro, up to date.

The whole system is about 2 to 3 years old, except for the GPU, which was bought early this year.

Already tried:
  • Reinstalling drivers, changing from Game Ready to Nvidia Studio.
  • Uninstalling drivers with DDU and reinstaling from scratch.
  • Runned some antivirus and everything looked fine.
  • Stress tests run fine, with 100% on GPU and CPU.
  • I monitored temps and they look fine (also, temps wouldn't rise much while playing CS:GO, or Valorant...).
  • BIOS up to date. Windows up to date.

Maybe it can be related to PSU also? Don't know.

I'd be so glad if someone give me some light in this matter. Or maybe just help me to diagnose the right issue.

Thanks!!

Solution
PSU: EVGA 650W, model 100-N1-0650-L0
Here is quite possibly your issue.

You've upgraded to a more power hungry GPU and the N1 EVGA series is a trash quality PSU unfortunately.

They are not totally random restarts, they happen when GPU is being used, but in some specific cases. Currently, it is restarting while: playing Destiny 2
It is also common for this to be a PSU issue as the power load increases as a game starts and you run it. It can then cause a bad PSU to fault under load or trip protections on the PSU resulting in a sudden restart / shut down.

Random restarts, once firmware has been eliminated usually goes in this order of culprits:
PSU > GPU > RAM > MB > CPU.

And the N1 is an awful unit. Never...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PSU: EVGA 650W, model 100-N1-0650-L0

You've upgraded to a more power hungry GPU and the N1 EVGA series is a trash quality PSU unfortunately.

They are not totally random restarts, they happen when GPU is being used, but in some specific cases. Currently, it is restarting while: playing Destiny 2
It is also common for this to be a PSU issue as the power load increases as a game starts and you run it. It can then cause a bad PSU to fault under load or trip protections on the PSU resulting in a sudden restart / shut down.

Random restarts, once firmware has been eliminated usually goes in this order of culprits:

And the N1 is an awful unit. Never run a decent system on a cheap / poor quality PSU! (See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/)

Solution

aluizgollo

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018

And the N1 is an awful unit. Never run a decent system on a cheap / poor quality PSU! (See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/)

Nice to hear it. Any way I can actually test to see if it's the PSU?
I gathered some data with HWInfo64, and by the time of the restarts, the whole PC was consuming around 260-300W. The PSU is 650W, so I find it weird. But again, don't know how accurate HWInfo64 is on this matter.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Nice to hear it. Any way I can actually test to see if it's the PSU?
I gathered some data with HWInfo64, and by the time of the restarts, the whole PC was consuming around 260-300W. The PSU is 650W, so I find it weird. But again, don't know how accurate HWInfo64 is on this matter.
Overall power usage has nothing to do with it.

Regardless as to the amount of power draw, it still has to deliver consistent power over time with little ripple / noise. Bad quality PSUs are renowned for not being able to do this or beginning to become faulty rather fast.

Myself and many others on the forums have had PSUs that are two or three times the max possible power usage and the PSU has still blown or best case started to fault and cause system instability.

Overall wattage is nothing without quality.

For HWINFO, its not necessarily a case as to how accurate is the software, but more how accurate can any third party software be at gathering this info, on top of that, as above, the overall wattage doesn't make a difference unfortunately.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The only definitive and accurate way of testing a PSU (without very extensive testing equipment) is by replacing the unit with a known working and good quality unit and retesting

You can theoretically monitor the V on each of the rails under load, but this is at best inaccurate, but can highlight if there is anything obvious.

Latest posts