Question random small FPS drops / Stutters when gaming since upgrading Ryzen CPU

Sep 4, 2019
Ever since upgrading from a Ryzen 1600 to a 3800x i have been noticing weird performance while gaming

i get random fps drops in nearly all my games , generally every 10-15 seconds it will drop a few frames and create a small stutter nothing game breaking but very annoying , Destiny 2 i have no issue with but every other game i have tried has the random framedrops (i rarely notice it in destiny 2 but i think its still there) Hunt Showdown , BF5 , Ark Survival , Apex legends all have the random stutter and i played alot of Hunt , Apex and BF5 with my old CPU and had no problems ,

my main game is Mordhau and i cap the FPS to 141 , my Fps drops with this game are not random they probably happen just as frequently but i think its from assets being loaded like blood when someone is hit or sparks from swords clashing and visual effects when you take a hit , i can get over 200 fps but even capped at 60 fps the drops still occur

i cannot find any apparent reason for this happening , my rig was completely fine before the upgrade so obviously you would think the CPU must be the culprit but i cannot find any faults with it when i run tests or benchmarks

i have been trying different things for weeks now and im pretty much ready to buy some new hardware if it comes to that , but first i need to try and identify the problem

things i have tried :
fresh install of windows
updating drivers and bios
resetting nvidia settings and bios to default
overclocking and underclocking CPU ,GPU and RAM
disabling HPET
tested Ram with memtest

i cannot remember every thing else but i will update the list as i remember and try new things , i am also willing to retry things

i have been looking into monitoring software and have downloaded a few but it all gets abit complicated and i don't know what im looking at most of the time , the best software i found is UIforETW and Windows Performance Analyzer but its really in depth and i cant make sense of it

thanks for reading my post , any help is appreciated

my specs:
Ryzen 7 3800x
ROG strix 1070
Corsair vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8) ddr4 3000mhz c15
ROG strix b350-f (on latest bios and have latest chipset drivers)
Seasonic g550 550w 80+ gold certified PSU
Crucial MX500 500gb internal SSD m.2

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19794975

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019
ok so i set up a tv as a second screen and ive been looking at resource monitor when i get a fps drop , i noticed each time there is a fps drop i have a spike on my disc usage , i also noticed the health of my SSD is 80% which is what my OS is installed on , could this be the cause of my stutters?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019
i put my old CPU back in and the stutters were still there , so i guess its not the CPU , i am thinking its either my Motherboard or SSD now , but im still really unsure , please help me :/

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019
im pretty certain the Fps drops are tied to disk usage from my SSD with my OS installed , what would be a good way to test this?

Not sure if This is relevant but I also noticed my OS SSD is MBR so my bios is in legacy (even tho it says UEFI in bios)

Last edited: