Question Random stutter issues with certain programs/sites

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello! I've noticed some weird things going on lately with my system.
  • The biggest thing is that while watching YouTube, the video will freeze and start buffering, however audio will continue to play. After a few seconds of this, the audio will rewind to the point where the video started buffering and the video will play like normal. This happens infrequently but enough to be annoying, especially while listening to music. I can confirm this happens with multiple browsers, with OperaGX and Firefox being the two I tested. This issue occurs with hardware acceleration on or off.
  • Another issue I noted is while using the Game Capture HD software with my integrated Elgato capture card. Sometimes the video feed will cut out completely for a second then return with audio stuttering until I change encoding/audio settings. I have noted a case where both the YouTube and Elgato issue occurred at the same time, however I don't know if this is a coincidence or not. This does not occur when using the 4k Capture software, only with Game Capture HD.
  • Finally, I noticed that sometime my WMI Provider Host will stat using a crazy amount of CPU usage, sometime up to 20-30%. I have noticed that this usually happens when I have the software Blitz open, but it still sometimes occurs. When checking event viewer to see what is spiking usage, it links to a process ID that is not running when I check Task Manager.

Any idea what could be going on here? Any help would be appreciated! So far, I have tried a clean install of GPU drivers using DDU as well as performing available Windows Updates. I have also verified that this is not a thermal issue as HWMonitor does not report temps going above 80-90 degrees for my CPU.

Specs:
    CPU- Intel i7-11700k
    GPU- NVIDIA RTX 4070
    32GB RAM
    OS running off SSD

EDIT: This seems to be happening every 20-30 minutes, and it's happening on any video player on any site, not just YouTube.

Last edited:

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hello! I've noticed some weird things going on lately with my system.
  • The biggest thing is that while watching YouTube, the video will freeze and start buffering, however audio will continue to play. After a few seconds of this, the audio will rewind to the point where the video started buffering and the video will play like normal. This happens infrequently but enough to be annoying, especially while listening to music. I can confirm this happens with multiple browsers, with OperaGX and Firefox being the two I tested. This issue occurs with hardware acceleration on or off.
  • Another issue I noted is while using the Game Capture HD software with my integrated Elgato capture card. Sometimes the video feed will cut out completely for a second then return with audio stuttering until I change encoding/audio settings. I have noted a case where both the YouTube and Elgato issue occurred at the same time, however I don't know if this is a coincidence or not. This does not occur when using the 4k Capture software, only with Game Capture HD.
  • Finally, I noticed that sometime my WMI Provider Host will stat using a crazy amount of CPU usage, sometime up to 20-30%. I have noticed that this usually happens when I have the software Blitz open, but it still sometimes occurs. When checking event viewer to see what is spiking usage, it links to a process ID that is not running when I check Task Manager.

Any idea what could be going on here? Any help would be appreciated! So far, I have tried a clean install of GPU drivers using DDU as well as performing available Windows Updates. I have also verified that this is not a thermal issue as HWMonitor does not report temps going above 80-90 degrees for my CPU.

Specs:
    CPU- Intel i7-11700k
    GPU- NVIDIA RTX 4070
    32GB RAM
    OS running off SSD
Have you tried a test of internet speed when this occurs? Speedtest.net

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Update: This seems to be happening every 20-30 minutes, and it's happening on any video player on any site, not just YouTube.
Edit: After timing it a few times, it seems to happen 17-18 mins into watching any sort of video. I have also tried swapping my Motherboard and updating to Windows 11, yet none of these worked. It's either a RAM/CPU issue, or a Windows issue.

Last edited:

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Any ideas? I've tried replacing my RAM recently and that didn't work either. This also happens when YouTube videos are fully loaded/rendered, aka the white bar is completely full on the time bar.

ARICH5

Distinguished
i still think it may be a broadband problem. have you looked at your router box for any problems? routers (I know in my case) sometimes have updates for things your ip doesnt tell you. even a bent RG cable can cause issues.

background programs accessing the internet? if its a regular timeable occurence maybe something accessing your internet.

did you do a full virus search and destroy? there are viruses that can hide in your bios.

basically i would say rule out anything from your internet provider to your harddrive/os.