Question Random system freeze & black screen crashes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Hi,

I've come across this issue recently where (mostly while gaming, but it happened once while watching youtube) I'll either get a black screen (fans and computer working but can't do anything) or sometimes a freeze where I have to hit the reset button. Started consistently happening around a few days ago but still hard to precisely replicate it. Usually computer boots normally but a few times I didn't get an image in my monitor but the pc was working. The Dram light was on during this on my mobo(indicating an issue) but seems like it is happening at random. I removed a few sticks, changed their slots and I still got the light but the computer booted up normally after that. I removed the nvidia driver with ddu and installed a new one and still happened with that driver, I highly doubt it is software related. My guess is either the gpu or PSU but I can't put my finger on it. I'm going to take it to the service, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to isolate it myself to have a better idea.

Some specific knowledge : Happens almost always while playing Elden ring. Didn't happen so far with warframe. Happened once with BF2042. I didn't test any other games.

Build Specs:
MSI B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI I5-11600K
Corsair Vengeance Led 4x8(3000mhz) DDR4
Asus Dual RTX-2060 6gb
Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold PSU
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB / Samsung 850 evo 500 GB SSD / Toshiba-TR150 240 GB SSD

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
PSU is 6.5 years old. I'm on the last one. 7D15v28 from the MSI website.
It is liquid cooled with H110i which is 4.5 years old but my cpu temps seem normal under load and idle. But not sure if there could be a specific issue about the cooler in itself.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Update :
I sent it for maintanence and they ran a bunch of tests, couldn't detect anything. I'm guessing they ran mostly superficial stuff. I got it back, clean installed windows 10 pro and it was fine for a few days but then the black screen crash returned. Doesn't happen quite often, but it is not something you can overlook.

Today the PC was idle, and I heard the fan noise, the screen went black(that's how it happens, screen goes black and the fans fire up). When i tried to boot, after the bios screen(mobo's logo) this is what I got :

ss.jpg

On the left handside there are a few teal pixes(looks like a line because of the blur). This is supposed to be the windows 10 login screen.

edit : After a couple of reboot attempts PC booted up fine. What could be the problem ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.