Razer Taking Pre-Orders for Blade Gaming Laptop Within Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@Cumulonimbus incus, this is a specialty/niche laptop, that's why it's so expensive. It's aimed at a very specific market that is willing to pay top dollar for top performance, unlike Apple, where all of their products, from top of the line to the bottom are over-priced. That's why so many reader's consider Apple customers "mugs".

omac1a

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I would like to see the bill of materials for this product. Maybe there is a reasonable explanation for the price tag (other than unbelievable greed).[/citation]

Well for starters the chassis is milled. Then there's the second screen with the Switchblade UI. This laptop isn't expensive because of the components, it's expensive because of the amount of engineering that went in to it.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I've paid over $2000 for a top gaming laptop and yes, you get what you pay for. I had better benchmark scores than most desktops just a few months old. I don't need that kind of performance anymore since I'm not traveling as much as I used to but... if you like to game but your job keeps you on the go, this is a great product assuming you can afford it.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I would like to see the bill of materials for this product. Maybe there is a reasonable explanation for the price tag (other than unbelievable greed).[/citation]
You know, the desire to make a profit on something is not a bad thing. The desire to make money is why 99% of businesses are *GASP* IN BUSINESS. They don't exist to provide people with jobs and benefits, that is merely a pleasant side effect. All of the cool technology and games that we enjoy exist because someone or a group of someones have a desire to make a pile of money. The flipside to that... and try to understand this because it is very important... you are NOT required to purchase an extremely expensive laptop. If you deem it of value to you, then you will buy it. If you don't, then you won't.

bvsbutthd101

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Does anyone realize the powerhouse of a laptop you could get with $2800 dollars. Yeah it'll be a big laptop but who plays games on there lap. No one, your gonna have it on a table or something with a mouse. Don't get me wrong the design and lcd touchpad and buttons on the side are cool as hell. But the hardware in this thing doesn't excuse the price of it.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
LOL "we've decided to to upgrade the 320 GB hard drive to a 256 SSD". Giving me LESS storage space is by no means an "upgrade" even f the drive is faster.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
"dual-core Intel Core i7 CPU clocked at 2.8 GHz (3.5 GHz Turbo)"

shouldn't Razer put in quad-core i7 if they want to tout performance as a gaming laptop?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
The price is not that outrageous. The better chassis and touchpad-gimmick are probably worth the $500 you pay more compared to a equivalent Alienware, Asus or whatever. Weight and battery life also matter.

I still don't understand the appeal of gaming laptops though. Do all those graphics details really matter on a 15-17"laptop display?

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Makes way more sense now that they put an i7 in it. Back when they first announced it would have an intel atom processor, there was no way it was going to be a gaming laptop.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Cumulonimbus incus[/nom]Oh! and I thought that TH readership believed Apple customers were mugs[/citation]

the only place that you get screwed more than an apple product, is a gaming product, slightly behind that, sound.

apple sells its crap to morons who believe the "it just works" line, and the lifestyle appeal they give. back in the pre xpsp1 era, macs did work more often than pcs, at least in my experience, still hated them though. but now... not so much, but people still believe that line of crap.

but gaming... its like they assume everyone who plays games is retarded and will pay 100+ for something that is only worth 20$ because it has gaming attached to it. i have a razor naga, got it referb for 50$ and its the one thing that i ever used that was labeled gaming i didn't feel screwed on, 12 easy to hit buttons can get a hell of allot done, fast.

bvsbutthd101

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]joe nate[/nom]Makes way more sense now that they put an i7 in it. Back when they first announced it would have an intel atom processor, there was no way it was going to be a gaming laptop.[/citation]

Here's something for you to do. Go to www.cyberpowerpc.com or ibuypower.com and built a laptop for $2800 dollars. Comment back on this and tells the specs on it. I guarantee you the hardware on the laptop you built will blow this laptop away.

jay_51

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
People simply don't understand the performance of this laptop. It's not an ultra high performance piece of kit at all. It's on par with $900 gaming laptops and has roughly the same gaming performance as an Apple Macbook Pro (Low end i7 and HD6770M) but less portable, no optical drive, crippled storage and at a premium over the Apple offering.

The 555M is has very poor performance.

By Razer's own definition, the Macbook Pro is more of "the worlds first gaming laptop" than the blade.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
[citation][nom]neon871[/nom]How Come Razer is not sue'in Motorola droide "razer" for the same name? ref. patent No. xxxxxx[/citation]

Motorola Razr

jay_51

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
To put it in the most simple terms possible:

1. This laptop will not run 2011 released games such as Battlefield 3, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, etc in it's native resolution at anything above the lowest settings at a playable framerate.

2. This laptop has roughly the same gaming performance as a current Macbook, yet is priced considerably higher.

G

Gaming laptop is an oxymoron. You can buy 3 gaming desktops for that money and they will outperform it.

Status
Not open for further replies.