Question Re-apply thermal paste after reseating heatsink even if no thermal issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2021
Hi I recently installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black RGB edition.

First I cleaned off the previous old thermal paste with 99% IPA.

I applied the thermal paste properly, and then reseated the heatsink a few times (3 or 4). once during installation and a fe times 2-3 hours later (this was when I encountered some boot issues and asked this forum, will include the link).

I recently found out, people usually re-apply everytime they remove heatsink. But I removed it more than 1 time and did not re-apply.

I currently have no thermal issues with this, under heavy load the max it gets to is ~66C, and 30C while browsing like right now.

Is it ok that I haven't reapplied the paste or will my PC be affected negatively in any way ?

I would like very much to avoid re applying at all costs if I can as I am worried I might damage my CPU or Motherboard due to the previous boot issue I mentioned: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-my-motherboard-and-cpu-ok.3680249/

The booting issue has been resolved a long time back.
TLDR on previous issue; PC turned on for few seconds and then off after tightening cooler and re-adjusting RAM although it isn't clear which of the 2 caused the issue.

(Lenovo Prebuilt) System: i7 - 10700, RTX 2070 Super, FSP 80+ Gold PSU, 2x 8GB Legion Ram, Lenovo Stock Motherboard

Jan 28, 2021
I'm getting 80 degrees on boot, Because I didn't reapply thermal paste after disassembling my pc. So I highly recommend you reapply thermal paste everytime you remove your cpu cooler.

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
Mostly If
Hi I recently installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black RGB edition.

First I cleaned off the previous old thermal paste with 99% IPA.

I applied the thermal paste properly, and then reseated the heatsink a few times (3 or 4). once during installation and a fe times 2-3 hours later (this was when I encountered some boot issues and asked this forum, will include the link).

I recently found out, people usually re-apply everytime they remove heatsink. But I removed it more than 1 time and did not re-apply.

I currently have no thermal issues with this, under heavy load the max it gets to is ~66C, and 30C while browsing like right now.

Is it ok that I haven't reapplied the paste or will my PC be affected negatively in any way ?

I would like very much to avoid re applying at all costs if I can as I am worried I might damage my CPU or Motherboard due to the previous boot issue I mentioned: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-my-motherboard-and-cpu-ok.3680249/

The booting issue has been resolved a long time back.
TLDR on previous issue; PC turned on for few seconds and then off after tightening cooler and re-adjusting RAM although it isn't clear which of the 2 caused the issue.

(Lenovo Prebuilt) System: i7 - 10700, RTX 2070 Super, FSP 80+ Gold PSU, 2x 8GB Legion Ram, Lenovo Stock Motherboard
Mostly thermal requires min. 6 months or more .
if just applied thermal recently and removed heat sink and put it in clean place and there is no dust on cpu either then its ok.

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
6 months?

That is a dangerous recommendation.
More like - 6 hours.
its thermal paste oily not toothpaste which get hard on heat in some times.
If you earlier applied good thermal paste and there is no dust in both cpu and cooler surface then its ok.
air bubbles will only occur if heatsink not fixed on cpu correctly.

USAFRet

Titan
its thermal paste oily not toothpaste which get hard on heat in some times.
If you earlier applied good thermal paste and there is no dust in both cpu and cooler surface then its ok.
air bubbles will only occur if heatsink not fixed on cpu correctly.
Sorry, can't agree with your "6 months".
And I doubt you'll find anyone who does.

Anyone with a clue, anyway.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I will give you and example why to reapply thermal past.A friend of mine brought me his pc as it restarted random in windows.Removed heatsink and could see he never changed Thermal paste in 2-3 years.Even after applying thermal paste would still restart and overheat.It's nothing we done just negligence on his part.The cpu are damage and there's nothing we can do about it.He ended up to upgrade to a new ryzen.It's not a big lose.It was a phenom 2.But always reapply thermal paste.I do new thermal paste once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.