Question Repeated crashing, no blue screens. Suspected issue with inadequate CPU power

Feb 25, 2024
Hello,
I've been having an issue for the past few weeks where my computer started to shut down occasionally for no apparent reason, no blue screens, just a hard shutdown, specifically while gaming. In Event Viewer, the only errors were Event 41 Kernel Power and Event 6008, both of which were not particularly helpful for actually solving the issue. Over time, the issue went from a once every week or two occurrence to now, where I can barely even turn it on before it shuts down again. I ran diagnostics on everything and it all seems to run fine, Memtest86 found 0 errors and my CPU was able to run the test for 5 hours to do it, my GPU is working fine, boot drive was just replaced and self test came back clean. The only thing I can think of now is that it's a CPU power issue, but that doesn't really make sense to me because it ran memtest fine and my PSU can more than handle it.
I tested this by switching the CPU's power regimen from Auto to AMD Overclock. This did indeed substantially improve stability, allowing me to run some less intensive games, but it still crashes very quickly in high demand situations. I tried to further improve stability by switching from AMD Overclocking to Override and setting the voltage to 1.335 and 1.35, but both were still unstable and crashed. My CPU is running at default clock speeds and I've never tried to overclock it.
The only things left that could conceivably be the source the issue are the CPU itself, the motherboard, and the PSU. Any ideas as to what I should test next to further narrow down the problem?

Specs:
5800X
Noctua NHD-15
MSI B550 A Pro
Patriot Viper Steel DDR4, 4x8GB (32 GB total)
Gigabyte 3070 OC
WD Blue SN580 NVME 2TB (C drive)
2 TB Seagate Barracuda
8 TB Seagate Barracuda
EVGA 850 B5

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA 850 B5
How old is the PSU in your build?

Got a link to this ram kit?

MSI B550 A Pro
BIOS version for your motherboard?

The only things left that could conceivably be the source the issue are the CPU itself, the motherboard, and the PSU.
Troubleshooting is the process of elimination, you will need to source(borrow, not buy)a reliably built PSU with slightly more power at your PC's disposal, then see if the issue persists. EVGA have been known to have hit or miss units within it's own range of top tier PSU's.

Feb 25, 2024
Now that you mention motherboard BIOS version, I don't think I've updated it in a long time. I'll give that a shot first.

The ram is actually two identical kits of 2x8GB, link

The PSU is only 3 years old.

I'll report back after the BIOS update, and triple check that all the drivers are up to snuff as well.

Hello,
I've been having an issue for the past few weeks where my computer started to shut down occasionally for no apparent reason, no blue screens, just a hard shutdown, specifically while gaming. In Event Viewer, the only errors were Event 41 Kernel Power and Event 6008, both of which were not particularly helpful for actually solving the issue. Over time, the issue went from a once every week or two occurrence to now, where I can barely even turn it on before it shuts down again. I ran diagnostics on everything and it all seems to run fine, Memtest86 found 0 errors and my CPU was able to run the test for 5 hours to do it, my GPU is working fine, boot drive was just replaced and self test came back clean. The only thing I can think of now is that it's a CPU power issue, but that doesn't really make sense to me because it ran memtest fine and my PSU can more than handle it.
I tested this by switching the CPU's power regimen from Auto to AMD Overclock. This did indeed substantially improve stability, allowing me to run some less intensive games, but it still crashes very quickly in high demand situations. I tried to further improve stability by switching from AMD Overclocking to Override and setting the voltage to 1.335 and 1.35, but both were still unstable and crashed. My CPU is running at default clock speeds and I've never tried to overclock it.
The only things left that could conceivably be the source the issue are the CPU itself, the motherboard, and the PSU. Any ideas as to what I should test next to further narrow down the problem?

Specs:
5800X
Noctua NHD-15
MSI B550 A Pro
Gigabyte 3070 OC
WD Blue SN580 NVME 2TB (C drive)
2 TB Seagate Barracuda
8 TB Seagate Barracuda
EVGA 850 B5

are you able to stress test your system without a shut down ? and does this shut down happen only when you play games ?

Feb 25, 2024
Stress tests are a near immediate shut down. Games tend to crash either while loading or a few minutes in. The system also tends to shut down even if nothing is open within a few minutes.

Also, I have double checked and all the drivers are up-to-date. I just flashed the BIOS, it is now running the most recent version from MSI's website, released two months ago.

System is currently apart and I have a potential lead. It seems that at some point while I was pressing the lever on the GPU slot down, whatever I was holding slipped and nicked one of the components and maybe broke it. If anyone can identify what this part is and whether this might be the cause of the issue, let me know.

Pic 1
Pic 2

Feb 25, 2024
I have taken everything apart, deep cleaned everything, repasted, and tested to see if that helped. So far, looking very promising. It has been on running Prime95 for about 30 minutes now without any indication of an issue, and I've seen power consumption, clock speeds, and temps all go into the red, so I know there is a considerable amount of stress going on. I'll report back to see if this really did solve the issue after further testing, but it may very well have been some little bit of conductive dust somewhere or a loose connection that have been resolved.

Feb 25, 2024
Can confirm, system is back to full functionality. CPU ran Prime95 for several hours until I decided to switch to testing with Linpack Xtreme, and that ran with zero errors until I turned it off after ~14 hours. Intensive games (Elden Ring) have been running fine. I consider the issue fully resolved.