[SOLVED] Replacing my CPU

victorpanak

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021
Hi,
I built my one and only PC back in ~2017. I would like to replace the existing CPU (AMD FX-6300) with the FX-8350. Because of my lack of experience, I'm looking for some important tips that I need to keep in mind when doing this. I'm guessing that I need new thermal paste (please confirm), but I'm not sure if there's anything else to worry about. Here's a link to my part list: View: https://imgur.com/a/SGOnhqV
. Thanks for any guidance on this.

Solution
Can I overclock the 6300 with my current setup? To what clock speed?
Yes you can overclock the 6300 with your current setup...and that board should be good for it. I think the Hyper212 should be enough too, that because I used a much smaller Hyper T4 to overclock my 6300 to 4.5Ghz and it worked just fine. And that's where you should be aiming with your 6300...4.5-4.8ghz. But don't be surprised if you get hung up at 4.5ghz. I'd only think you really NEED a better cooler if you're going to be rendering on it, gaming should be OK. If you are rendering, though, you'll agonize over how long it takes

As a frame of reference, I know several people who got their 6300's up to 5Ghz. You could try for that but test stability...
Definitely new paste if it's the same tube you had when first built it.

The motherboard looks suitable but I hope you're getting an amazing deal on that CPU. It's not really going to gain much performance-wise.

Some suggestions, though, since you asked: you'll probably need more cooler than that Hyper 212 since the only way to get any performance is overclock it like crazy. 8350's get hot as anything pushing 5Ghz and that is one thing FX CPU's are good for: high core clock speed making up for IPC shortcomings.

And the PSU is not going to win many friends around here so probably should consider looking for something a bit better...more in the 550W range or above, 80+ Gold at least. I like Corsair, RM550x, or SeaSonic FOCUS Gold GX550.

Last edited:

victorpanak

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021
Hmm, I WAS hoping for some noticeable improvements in performance from the 8350 and I really didn't want to deal with overclocking, so if I'm not getting any of that, maybe I should just return it. And no I didn't really get it for cheap.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if you were to swap the CPUs here is a nugget of wisdom.

Before swapping, run a benchmark on the CPU, this will soften the heatsink compound. Twist the CPU cooler off, do not pull.

Often times people will pull the CPU out of the socket without opening it and bend pins.

As for overclocking, every CPU is a little different you will have the test the limits while monitoring temperatures and acceptable noise levels.

victorpanak

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021
Well, if you were to swap the CPUs here is a nugget of wisdom.

Before swapping, run a benchmark on the CPU, this will soften the heatsink compound. Twist the CPU cooler off, do not pull.

Often times people will pull the CPU out of the socket without opening it and bend pins.

As for overclocking, every CPU is a little different you will have the test the limits while monitoring temperatures and acceptable noise levels.
Those are great tips! Exactly what I was looking for. Now I gotta figure out if this switch is actually worth it...

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Hold on, WHAT?

Unless we're talking the 8350 that achieved the 8GHz overclock that's a massive ripoff.
Just... return it if you can.

About overclocking the 6300... you'll need a better power supply, but honestly it's not worth the hassle, you won't get much more performance out of it. Plus it's not a very efficient CPU so it'll generate a ton of heat and the 212 won't be enough for more than... 4.3GHz I guess.
There are ways to optimize the overclock but if you don't know anything about it you'll need to read a lot and probably restart your computer dozens of times before it's stable, if tl;dr then this:
As for overclocking, every CPU is a little different

Yes you can overclock the 6300 with your current setup...and that board should be good for it. I think the Hyper212 should be enough too, that because I used a much smaller Hyper T4 to overclock my 6300 to 4.5Ghz and it worked just fine. And that's where you should be aiming with your 6300...4.5-4.8ghz. But don't be surprised if you get hung up at 4.5ghz. I'd only think you really NEED a better cooler if you're going to be rendering on it, gaming should be OK. If you are rendering, though, you'll agonize over how long it takes

As a frame of reference, I know several people who got their 6300's up to 5Ghz. You could try for that but test stability carefully.

But yah, if you take back that heinously expensive 8350 I definitely suggest getting another PSU with the money. Get a good 550W and you'll appreciate it's quietness. A good 650W unit (RM650 or SS Focus Gold GM-650) will be an investment that will go to your next upgrade...next several upgrades most likely.

Solution

victorpanak

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021

As a frame of reference, I know several people who got their 6300's up to 5Ghz. You could try for that but test stability carefully.

But yah, if you take back that heinously expensive 8350 I definitely suggest getting another PSU with the money. Get a good 550W and you'll appreciate it's quietness. A good 650W unit (RM650 or SS Focus Gold GM-650) will be an investment that will go to your next upgrade...next several upgrades most likely.
Good looks. Returning the 8350, buying a 650W PSU, and overclocking my 6300 sounds like what I'm gonna do

Good looks. Returning the 8350, buying a 650W PSU, and overclocking my 6300 sounds like what I'm gonna do
Sounds like a plan...and overclock it like you own it.

BTW: if you check eBay you can find used 8320's and 8350's for under $100 US. There must be literally thousands of pulls hitting the market. YES, you're taking a chance but that's still pretty cheap. Just it from a US reseller and look at ones with good reputations and a lot of reviews. Not that it will help much with gaming since it only brings two more semi-cores to the table. Games really need IPC anyways and that's one thing FX lacks.

victorpanak

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021
Oh, I realize. But $400 could readily get you the bones of a far better system with a future upgrade path.
[/QUOTE
Oh, I realize. But $400 could readily get you the bones of a far better system with a future upgrade path.
I admit that I seriously considered doing that but it looks like I would need to get a new mobo, a new cpu, and a new gpu at a minimum to work with a ryzen chipset. That's more than I am willing to spend right now. The 8350 already felt like a little bit of an overspend when I assumed it would come with noticeable improvements to performance. Now that I know I way overpaid and it's going to do almost nothing for me, I'm going to return it, significantly upgrade my PSU, and overclock my 6300.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I admit that I seriously considered doing that but it looks like I would need to get a new mobo, a new cpu, and a new gpu at a minimum to work with a ryzen chipset. That's more than I am willing to spend right now. The 8350 already felt like a little bit of an overspend when I assumed it would come with noticeable improvements to performance. Now that I know I way overpaid and it's going to do almost nothing for me, I'm going to return it, significantly upgrade my PSU, and overclock my 6300.
Hm. not a new GPU, that one will definitely work with a Ryzen. You'd need to get the CPU, a motherboard and memory.

Example with AMD:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($55.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $370.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-16 23:47 EDT-0400

And with Intel:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($148.90 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B460M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($136.74 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $335.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-16 23:48 EDT-0400

The rest of the parts will work with that, even with the PSU you already have. That will indeed be a noticeable improvement over the overclocked 6300. GL.

victorpanak

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021
Ohhhh, buddy......:(
That's a $75 chip...at BEST. (I wouldn't even pay that much)

I see there's already suggestions coming in about a full CPU+mobo+RAM upgrade that costs less than that and would offer 2x the performance.
Seems crazy that retailers are selling it for $400 then. Anyway, I've already returned it and now just contemplating whether I want to overclock my 6300 with a new PSU or do the CPU+mobo+RAM switch

DSzymborski

Titan
Seems crazy that retailers are selling it for $400 then. Anyway, I've already returned it and now just contemplating whether I want to overclock my 6300 with a new PSU or do the CPU+mobo+RAM switch

You'll frequently see old parts like this be given outrageous markups in the hopes that someone with very specific hardware will horrifically overpay. I'm glad you were able to get a refund; if not, you would have basically had $350 pickpocketed.