Report: No Service Pack 2 for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
[citation][nom]heroz0r[/nom]They force us to use Windows 8...[/citation]

Negative. I will be running win 7 until there is compelling reason to upgrade. Lack of SP is not a motivator. And they already burned me with Vista, making me think I needed it to play DX10...Games are still being released in dx9 hah.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
While I agree Windows 8 is alright for now and then use, everyday and productivity use people will NOT enjoy this.

It's too unfamiliar and too big a change in such a small time frame.
It will however be successful, even Vista was somewhat successful.

G

Interesting logic how Win8 bashers claim Win7 is perfect, yet complains when they wont release a SP2.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Exactly how does the lack of a new service pack force people into Win 8? Win 7 works great on SP1 as it is.[/citation]
It doesn't, yet. But I think its obvious Microsoft really, really wants everyone to embrace there new vision of personal computing, so in a few years they can finally not be bothered with having to make a desktop OS

Thanks alot MS.

Devoteicon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
It actually makes sense. Windows 7 is pretty much perfect as is. They need to devote all the time and attention to the 6 or more service packs that windows 8 will need.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]Damn I'm getting tired of all this MS crap!![/citation]

Just to clairify. I'm talking about the company, not articles on Tom's.

heroz0r

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Exactly how does the lack of a new service pack force people into Win 8? Win 7 works great on SP1 as it is.[/citation]

I'm not talking exactly about the SP1, but "Apparently, Microsoft plans to keep updating Windows 7 with patches every month until Windows 7 support comes to an end."

I'm agree with you opinion w7 sp1 works great and I will not change.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Inferno1217[/nom]Looks like they are worried about Windows 8 success and want force people to upgrade to Windows 8. Big Mistake![/citation]They aren't dropping support, and they release patches all the time. They don't need another service pack at this point.

Well, it's more of a PITA to do a clean install on Win7 without a SP, because one has to re-install every update after SP1 one by one. They can add up to quite a download, you know.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
As long as they support Windows 7 for a while, I don't really care if it's a service pack or monthly downloads.

The problem is when they decide to cut, render obsolete, a perfectly functioning software, just to have people pay for their new one.

No wonder Windows is sooooo widely pirated. I'll certainly consider all my options when they throw my own purchased software in the garbage.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
A Service pack are essentially updates bundled together and is essential service packs are released to save time bringing computers back up to speed and secure.

What does this mean for the general public and computer repair and service shops? I’m not in the industry so there could be tricks to deal with it albeit can imagine redownloading and/or reinstalling updates on a regular basis can be lot of time wasted.

On a business scale, can this be classed as negligent by Microsoft choosing to ignore servicing packs?

a11ectis

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I think half of the rage from no new Service Pack can be blamed on Windows XP SP2. It released so much new functionality and improvements that it sort of set a high bar. What came with Windows 7 SP1? Some HDMI audio fix and a XPS Viewer update?
(Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/whats-included-in-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1)
Yeah, that's REAL thrilling... Seeing stuff that could be its own patch.

Some people are just waiting for a feature filled update. I know I am.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]In line with the trend: nt4 - 6 sp, w2k - 4 sp, xp - 3 sp, vista - 2 sp, w7 - 1 sp. No money, no honey.[/citation]
So what you are saying is that as a more stable OS is released, it needs less Service Packs? I have owned all these versions and the number and frequency of crashes/hangs has decreased with every one. Maybe Windows 8 will never even need a Service Pack, how cool would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS