Question Reset my modem/router by myself

rodres268

Reputable
Feb 7, 2019
Hello, I have (I think), a modem/router in my house, it's a box device that has a big cable connected to it (the "internet cable" it comes from the wall), and from the modem/router, there's a rj45 6e cable that connects to my PC and that's my connection. In the past, I entered the configuration of my modem/router with the admin/admin credentials, and I for example disable WIFI because I needed to be like that for a while, then put the WIFI on again, but then, I changed the password of the configuration so it no longer is "admin", and I no longer remember the password, and can't enter anymore to my modem/router configuration (it's a sagecom).

I think I need to call my ISP for them to "reset" to factory setting my modem/router, but I read in the internet that I can do it by myself, well, I read more info about factory reset your router not not your modem/router, (I just have the one modem/router in my house), so I'm not sure if I can just press the reset button with a paper clip and try to configure it from 0 just by myself. (Yes I know I f up when I forgot the new password I created).

So I don't know what to do, what if i try to factory reset my modem/router and I f up and have to call my ISP. When I had access I knew how to for example change the wifi password, and disable or not the wifi, and I think there was an option to change the name of the network (I never did that).

if you reset the modem, you might need to reenter your internet login data.
usually you have a mail or email or can lookup the isp data in your isp's user account online.
default wifi ssid and password should be labeled on the bottom of the modem, if needed

Reactions: rodres268
There is mostly nothing that could go wrong. On most, if not all, ISPs you can just use any router from any company and configured any way and basic internet will still work because the ISP is giving internet to your phone line so the router doesn't matter much. You would have to set up wifi again.
The worst thing that could happen is that the reset won't change the passwords back to admin.
And the ISP has to deal with far worse every day they will guide you through some basic stuff and if tat doesn't fix it they will probably just send you a new router.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I have (I think), a modem/router in my house, it's a box device that has a big cable connected to it (the "internet cable" it comes from the wall), and from the modem/router, there's a rj45 6e cable that connects to my PC and that's my connection"

The starting point is to identify that box as fully as possible: make, model, version.

Who is the ISP?

That is relevant because internet providers tend to use only certain make and model products. Note that ISP provided devices can and do vary over time. Likewise for supported end user devices owned by end users - versus leased from the ISP.

When modems, routers, or modem/routers are reset (factory reset) via a paperclip or small button, then the device reverts back to factory settings. Just basic settings and unsecured.

The reset includes reverting to a commonly known default login name and a default password along with other default settings generally listed in the end user documentation. However, many manufacturer's and ISP's no longer provide paper documentation beyond some instructions to go online and thus configure the device accordingly.

Once the box is identified then it is very likely that the known default settings can be found online including the device's default IP address. Or a listing of likely values.

You then enter that default IP address into your browser to access the devices admin menus/screens via the default login name and password. Which should be immediately changed to secure the device.

Then continue reconfiguring the device as applicable for your network requirements.