Reuters: AMD to be bought out?

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I think an AMD buyout is very probable at this point. Given how the rumors have consistently become fact here lately. I was actually surprised that AMD didn't get bought out back in 2002 when their market cap went down to about $700 million. I just knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that an IBM or nVidia buyout was imminent.

If this does happen, lets all hope and pray that AMD doesn't end up like Cyrix.
As I recall, Cyrix was acquired by IBM and then sold off to National Semiconductor, and was eventually sold again to VIA. All the while becoming less and less competitive. At least I think that is how it all went down. Please correct me if I am in error.

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Yeah. Stock +5% = lots of shares exchanging hands. There is definately something on the go here. Either:
Someone is building up their stock of AMD for a buyout, or,
Speculators believe the purchase rumour is more than rumour and are buying as a result.

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
At first I didn't think this would happen and was against it. Then I started really thinking it would be a pretty good idea for the company that would be buying them. I mean not only would they be getting a CPU company but they would also be getting a GPU/chipset company. Sounds like a good deal to me. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
BaronMatrix:
"AMD is actually killing Intel."
"Now me, I have very nearly had sex on the dance floor of a club with a sober woman - about 4 times."
"I'm still the only nerd with a rap album."

Coach, this is kinda gay. I know there's no such thing as bad publicity but.........

I guess you're used to people who talk but never actually do anything.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Yeah. Stock +5% = lots of shares exchanging hands. There is definately something on the go here. Either:
Someone is building up their stock of AMD for a buyout, or,
Speculators believe the purchase rumour is more than rumour and are buying as a result.

Rumors have been around a couple weeks however new reports of those rumors and the dead cat bounce off the 52 week low Thursday was the fuel for gains yesterday. Today China is taking everyone for a dive in the market although AMD is down more than the broader market, they lost about half of yestrdays gain at opening today. There was a tremendous surge in volume yesterday, with a couple of large block trades possibly accumulations, and during the first half hour of trading today however, then it's back to normal lower volume and lower price.

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
There was a tremendous surge in volume yesterday, with a couple of large block trades possibly accumulations, and during the first half hour of trading today however, then it's back to normal lower volume and lower price.

Anyway to ID the companys behind those block trades or can you only see the brokers involved?

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Will be interesting to see if AMD/ATI is on the buying block?

If the board agrees to a poison pill then I would say that they may not be looking for a suitor.

If they in fact decide not to do a poison pill then I see AMD/ATI as ripe for takeover.

(Be advised that a poison pill is often just another bargaining chip to up the value of the bid and to stop others from pursuing)

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I wonder if AMD execs are using rumors to drum up stock so that they can sell off their tanking stock shares.

He he, maybe they just benchmarked Barcelona and said "oh crap!" and now they want to dump shares before the stock falls through the bottom. :lol:

Anyway, I doubt this can be taken seriously, but it was enough for investors to get excited.

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Sony has to many problems atm to buy anything I would think...and IBM isnt ready to go toe to toe with Intel on so many markets all at once...however something I hadnt thought of before...Nvidia has said they want to design an x86 processor...they have the lowest ongoing debts of any tech firm i have recently looked into...if they bought AMD and then sold the ati division to someone with the cash,intel, they could almost buy AMD for nothing at all,cancel the amd name, and whoops, suddenly Nvidia has the x86 license they have been seeking and been unable to find...

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
i am hearing SONY is looking into aquiring AMD

Ooooooh, please say it ain't so...... yuck!!!!!

While I have been harsh on AMD's execution of late, and poked a little fun at the 4x4, I am not an AMD hater ---- but I am a Sony hater :) .... please, no... no.... NO!!!!!

Man I so totally agree with that. I dislike Sony simply for the fact of their proprietary crap moves. I seriously hope they do not buy AMD. I would definitely become an Intel fanboy very shortly after Sony bought AMD if it is true haha.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Yeah Baron and MCI had 4+Billion in Cash-on-Hand when they started down the slippery slope...

As a matter of fact Baron,

If you hear a company quoting their Cash-on-Hand, frequently, as a hint to their position of strength you might want to also look at what is happening behind the curtain ;).

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
What about MS? They:
-Have enough cash to buy AMDTI 10x over.
-They already make hardware.
-They would love to offer DRMed hardware to partner their DRM infested software.
-Expanding their software monopoly into a hardware/software monopoly would be very lucrative.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Wombat,

Right now the rumors point to private equity. This would mean that AMD/ATI is being looked at for what its potential in the market is as pieces.

They would typically purchase then distribute to make lean/pair down the companies profile. They will even sell off divisions that do not go well with what they believe to be the companies vision.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.reuters.com/article/hotStocksNews/idUSN2630551820070226

The Inq was quick to float the Intel tax bill story, but has yet to pick up on the buy out rumor.... thus it must be true ;) .. :)

LOL, the INQ not carrying a story as evidence the story is true. That amuzes me greatly.

This rueters article isn't so much about the rumor as it is explaining that things are actually happening because the the rumor. People saw AMD stock go up, rueters is just explaining why it went up, not reporting on the rumor itself so much.