Question ROG STRIX SCAR 2 extreme overheating (up to 100-105 celsius)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2019
stick with 1 thread
I came here from ASUS ROG community cuz there nobody want to help about problems... So i'll try to explain as clean and fast as possible... So, lets begin

I bought brand new laptop ASUS Republic of Gamers STRIX SCAR 2 GL704GW 5 months ago. Configuration is - i7 8750H, 115W RTX 2070, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD and 1TB HDD
So, i descovered like 2 months ago that i have extreme cpu overheating problems, at idle temps are crazy - up to 65 sometimes hit 70 and during gaming it is never lower then 98 celsius... sometimes it reches 105, most of time it is on 98-100 celisus. Okay so thats the problem right? So what i did is that i opened laptop, cleaned everything from dust, opened cooling system, repasted whole system using Arctic Silver MX-4 2019 edition (gpu, cpu, vram, power units etc...) and saw no diffirence at all. I really dont know why is so hard to cool down that i7 8750H.
So what i did next is that i installed Intel XTU and undervolted cpu's core and cache voltage offset by -100.6mV and still didnt get 1% of improvment after REPASTING, CLEANING, UNDERVOLTING... I dont know what's wrong with this CPU. Please help me

Thanks forward for your help! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Hmm, you might have done a lot more than was necessary. Regarding the Intel XTU undervolting trick, can you try and go lower that is increase the amount of undervolt you're doing to the CPU to see if you end up with a BSOD?

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Please flash the BIOS manually as opposed to using a third party app, if you have BIOS updates pending.

Oct 18, 2019
Hmm, you might have done a lot more than was necessary. Regarding the Intel XTU undervolting trick, can you try and go lower that is increase the amount of undervolt you're doing to the CPU to see if you end up with a BSOD?

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Please flash the BIOS manually as opposed to using a third party app, if you have BIOS updates pending.

Maxmimum undervolt that is stable for mine i7 8750H is -120mV... Everything beyond that will crash only during hardcore tasks such as stress test etc... So I stayed at -120mV and didnt notice ANY IMPROVMENTS.
Also i didnt update my BIOS to the latest version... Does it matter or? cuz i dont know too much about bios...

Jan 10, 2020
Thanks for that... dont wanna touch bios...

Laptop is placed on logitech G840 gaming pad...

Look i have the ROG scar strix II and when i bought a cooling pad and put in under my laptop in the beginning i had immediate fps drop. When i took off the cooling pad i dind't had any FPS drop.. It was very weird.. I was searching around just to see that when we use cooling pads for laptops like this the cool air messes with the cooling technology that the laptop has and the laptops thinks that he has a lower temperatures and than the fans doesn't run in their full potential. It basically messes up with the cooling algorithms the laptop has.. But still this was one issue.. I still got my fps drops and overheating and i hate myself for buying this CRAP of a laptop.. Won't recommend it to anyone because its a very high amount of money for a complete bullshit "gaming" laptop..

Oct 18, 2019
Look i have the ROG scar strix II and when i bought a cooling pad and put in under my laptop in the beginning i had immediate fps drop. When i took off the cooling pad i dind't had any FPS drop.. It was very weird.. I was searching around just to see that when we use cooling pads for laptops like this the cool air messes with the cooling technology that the laptop has and the laptops thinks that he has a lower temperatures and than the fans doesn't run in their full potential. It basically messes up with the cooling algorithms the laptop has.. But still this was one issue.. I still got my fps drops and overheating and i hate myself for buying this CRAP of a laptop.. Won't recommend it to anyone because its a very high amount of money for a complete bullshit "gaming" laptop..

Well i know exactly how u feel... U definitely needs understanding and patience for this laptop...
I dropped my CPU/GPU to around 80 celsius max at full full clocks with GPU overclocked by 130 mhz core clock...
If u want i want and i can definitely can help u

Status
Not open for further replies.