CPTBEEMO

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Hey everyone!

So I am finally upgrading from a X4 Phenom 840 processor to a more.... up to date build. I have picked up an Asus ROG Strix X470-F board which I will be pairing with a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU. My question is regarding the RAM. I have been doing a lot of reading and was able to find in the QVL, G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz RAM as a compatible option. My questions pertain to the boards native frequency, and some other stuff. Here goes!

I am aware G.Skill makes Trident Z RAM which is optimized for AMD builds ( X at the end of the model number). Is it a requirement to get this specific RAM or will any stick do?

Will I need to access the BIOS to overclock the RAM up to 3200Mhz or is this board native to this frequency? also....what is XMP and is it required? I only know what it stands for.

I am looking at getting 4 8GB sticks of the F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX (or the F4-3200C16D-16GTZR for non AMD optimized RAM) Throughout my reading I found most people commenting that 3200mhz and 32gb ram is the sweetspot on this type of build- This is listed as compatible with this board but I would like to know if anyone seeing this uses this RAM and what its performance to value is like.

Lastly, If this memory is not a good choice, can someone please make a recommendation on a good stick that will perform to an acceptable standard? I am RGB preferred based off of my case, but I will take performance over aesthetics any day.

Solution
It is not a requirement to get X-labeled RAM. Any DDR4 RAM will work.

16 GB is probably more than enough for today's games, however, get 32 GB if you just want it, or if you use some Productivity apps that like to use a little more RAM.

Nothing wrong with that...

3200 is fast enough for the Ryzen platform, which is somewhat sensitive to memory speeds. 3200 MHz or faster is recommended for your platform.

XMP is an intel thing, don't worry about it for now. It's basically an easy one button overclock for memory modules and platforms that support it.

The memory is probably a good choice...I personally think Corsair Dominators are kind of a fancy upgrade...again...3200 MHz or faster for Ryzen...

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016

16 GB is probably more than enough for today's games, however, get 32 GB if you just want it, or if you use some Productivity apps that like to use a little more RAM.

3200 is fast enough for the Ryzen platform, which is somewhat sensitive to memory speeds. 3200 MHz or faster is recommended for your platform.

XMP is an intel thing, don't worry about it for now. It's basically an easy one button overclock for memory modules and platforms that support it.

The memory is probably a good choice...I personally think Corsair Dominators are kind of a fancy upgrade...again...3200 MHz or faster for Ryzen...

Solution

CPTBEEMO

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Thank you both for your helpful input! What I got from this is 3200 is the best choice, and the memory I have in mind is also a good choice. Xmp is not applicable in my case and any memory will do. Now the only question I have left is will this ram install be a simple plug and play? If it defaults to let's say 2933 for the sake of argument, how do I go about adjusting it to 320/mhz?

CPTBEEMO

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019

Hey thank you so much for your help. Now I am down to narrowing down 2 of what look to be the exact same memory modules, other than timing and CAS latency. The modules with a latency of 16 are almost half the price of the module with a latency of 14. I understand what latency is, But is it such a huge difference in performance that I will notice it if I were to go with the cheaper option? The build is more or less used 70% for gaming/streaming, and 30% video editing and rendering.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen memory support has improved quite a bit. There were issues running memory using micron/hynix IC over standard memory speeds. First gen Ryzen favoured Samsung bdie IC chips more with the least trouble at 3000+ and those memory brands like Gskill and Corsair with CL 14 are all using Samsung hence the price for higher quality IC chips. Some CL 15 & 16 models of ram do also use Samsung but most are different IC manufacturer.

There are lists on some sites if you want to know which use Samsung bdie.

These days through bios updates memory fussiness is rarely a problem albeit Samsung bdie are still the most reliable at high speeds, just cost more.