Question router slowing download speeds

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I recently upgraded my internet to 1Gbps. I have a modem from my ISP. I have it in bridged mode cause I have my own router plugged into it. it only has 4 lan ports but I have many wired devices. so I also have a 12 port switch plugged into the router. All my devices are plugged into the switch. after getting that 1Gbps internet package, I used speedtest.net to test my download and upload speeds and I was lucky to get over 500Mbps. using some other servers I would get even less. so I plugged my computer directly into the modem and ran the test again and got 930Mbps at most. so I know its not my ISP or my modem. I plugged my machine directly into my router with the switch unplugged. so now its just my machine on the router, nothing else. I ran the test again and got over 500Mbps again. so that means my router is the problem. I have the Netgear R7200. I went into the configuration of the router and that port is set to 1000M/full. so the port is not the problem. this router should be capable of getting me 1Gbps on my machine. Why do you think I'm getting only half of it? is there a spec on this router that's preventing it? or a setting to check for? and second question, do you have any recommendations as to what router should I upgrade to? preferably a Netgear cause I'm used to its configuration. as far as requirements goes, I'm not a gamer. But I do have a QNAP nas and on this nas I have a VM that I use for private torrents. my two media streamers are wired and sometimes stream from netflix or from my Plex server. my wireless requirements are not high. I just have a few phones and a couple of tablets. my wife often streams from spotify. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all, I recently upgraded my internet to 1Gbps. I have a modem from my ISP. I have it in bridged mode cause I have my own router plugged into it. it only has 4 lan ports but I have many wired devices. so I also have a 12 port switch plugged into the router. All my devices are plugged into the switch. after getting that 1Gbps internet package, I used speedtest.net to test my download and upload speeds and I was lucky to get over 500Mbps. using some other servers I would get even less. so I plugged my computer directly into the modem and ran the test again and got 930Mbps at most. so I know its not my ISP or my modem. I plugged my machine directly into my router with the switch unplugged. so now its just my machine on the router, nothing else. I ran the test again and got over 500Mbps again. so that means my router is the problem. I have the Netgear R7200. I went into the configuration of the router and that port is set to 1000M/full. so the port is not the problem. this router should be capable of getting me 1Gbps on my machine. Why do you think I'm getting only half of it? is there a spec on this router that's preventing it? or a setting to check for? and second question, do you have any recommendations as to what router should I upgrade to? preferably a Netgear cause I'm used to its configuration. as far as requirements goes, I'm not a gamer. But I do have a QNAP nas and on this nas I have a VM that I use for private torrents. my two media streamers are wired and sometimes stream from netflix or from my Plex server. my wireless requirements are not high. I just have a few phones and a couple of tablets. my wife often streams from spotify. thanks in advance.
I would start by saving your current config to your PC then doing a factory reset of the router. There are a lot of things you can enable in a router that will slow it down. A factory reset will clear all that. Then just set basic features, admin password, SSID and WIFI password. Then retest.

Reactions: velocci and COLGeek