Question router slowing download speeds

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I recently upgraded my internet to 1Gbps. I have a modem from my ISP. I have it in bridged mode cause I have my own router plugged into it. it only has 4 lan ports but I have many wired devices. so I also have a 12 port switch plugged into the router. All my devices are plugged into the switch. after getting that 1Gbps internet package, I used speedtest.net to test my download and upload speeds and I was lucky to get over 500Mbps. using some other servers I would get even less. so I plugged my computer directly into the modem and ran the test again and got 930Mbps at most. so I know its not my ISP or my modem. I plugged my machine directly into my router with the switch unplugged. so now its just my machine on the router, nothing else. I ran the test again and got over 500Mbps again. so that means my router is the problem. I have the Netgear R7200. I went into the configuration of the router and that port is set to 1000M/full. so the port is not the problem. this router should be capable of getting me 1Gbps on my machine. Why do you think I'm getting only half of it? is there a spec on this router that's preventing it? or a setting to check for? and second question, do you have any recommendations as to what router should I upgrade to? preferably a Netgear cause I'm used to its configuration. as far as requirements goes, I'm not a gamer. But I do have a QNAP nas and on this nas I have a VM that I use for private torrents. my two media streamers are wired and sometimes stream from netflix or from my Plex server. my wireless requirements are not high. I just have a few phones and a couple of tablets. my wife often streams from spotify. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all, I recently upgraded my internet to 1Gbps. I have a modem from my ISP. I have it in bridged mode cause I have my own router plugged into it. it only has 4 lan ports but I have many wired devices. so I also have a 12 port switch plugged into the router. All my devices are plugged into the switch. after getting that 1Gbps internet package, I used speedtest.net to test my download and upload speeds and I was lucky to get over 500Mbps. using some other servers I would get even less. so I plugged my computer directly into the modem and ran the test again and got 930Mbps at most. so I know its not my ISP or my modem. I plugged my machine directly into my router with the switch unplugged. so now its just my machine on the router, nothing else. I ran the test again and got over 500Mbps again. so that means my router is the problem. I have the Netgear R7200. I went into the configuration of the router and that port is set to 1000M/full. so the port is not the problem. this router should be capable of getting me 1Gbps on my machine. Why do you think I'm getting only half of it? is there a spec on this router that's preventing it? or a setting to check for? and second question, do you have any recommendations as to what router should I upgrade to? preferably a Netgear cause I'm used to its configuration. as far as requirements goes, I'm not a gamer. But I do have a QNAP nas and on this nas I have a VM that I use for private torrents. my two media streamers are wired and sometimes stream from netflix or from my Plex server. my wireless requirements are not high. I just have a few phones and a couple of tablets. my wife often streams from spotify. thanks in advance.
I would start by saving your current config to your PC then doing a factory reset of the router. There are a lot of things you can enable in a router that will slow it down. A factory reset will clear all that. Then just set basic features, admin password, SSID and WIFI password. Then retest.

Reactions: velocci and COLGeek

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I would start by saving your current config to your PC then doing a factory reset of the router. There are a lot of things you can enable in a router that will slow it down. A factory reset will clear all that. Then just set basic features, admin password, SSID and WIFI password. Then retest.
If I backup my settings, will it backup every setting? Are there settings it won’t backup?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Did you stop torrenting when you do the speedtest?
No. But I wasn’t downloading at the time and was barely uploading anything. My upload speed from my ISP is 50Mbs and I normally actually do more like 200Kbps at best anyways. But just in case I will try the speed test without the torrenting.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
So 500Mbps speedtest results all coming from wired devices?

I just remembered, when I had my PC plugged into my routers all alone without my switch, it was just the modem, router and the PC and the speedtest measured over 500Mbps. only when I had the PC plugged directly into the modem did I get speeds of 933Mbps. so the issue is with the router. either there is a setting in there preventing it from reaching the 1Gbps or its just old. but it is a 1Gbps router so it should be fine. so it must be a setting.

kanewolf

Titan
I just remembered, when I had my PC plugged into my routers all alone without my switch, it was just the modem, router and the PC and the speedtest measured over 500Mbps. only when I had the PC plugged directly into the modem did I get speeds of 933Mbps. so the issue is with the router. either there is a setting in there preventing it from reaching the 1Gbps or its just old. but it is a 1Gbps router so it should be fine. so it must be a setting.
Did you factory reset it ?

Reactions: lantis3
Your R7200 uses the MediaTek MT7621AT SoC which has two 880MHz MIPs CPU cores.

Smallnetbuilder reviewed the D-Link DIR-882 which is similarly equipped, and while that benched 939Mbps WAN-to-LAN using iperf3 of their test rev10 which is pretty much gigabit line speed, closely reading the review shows it got only 46.1% of that (or 433Mbps) when using the smaller packets of HTTP. Their speculation was this is a CPU limitation.

There are plenty of routers nowadays that can rout at full gigabit line speeds, but I suggest you read the reviews carefully. After all someone shopping for a DIR-882 seven years ago could have easily missed that caveat.

Reactions: velocci

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding "all alone without my switch"

Clarify (line diagrams, ----- > Ethernet cable, ~~~~ > wireless connection) :

Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router[LAN port] -----> Switch ----- PC = slow

Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router[LAN port] -----> PC = fast

Three things to do:

Edit and correct the line diagrams as necessary to show the connections being used. Use the applicable device make and model information

Make and model switch?

Include other network devices and connectivity.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Modem model? is it a modem or a modem gateway?
if it's a modem, you don't have to configure it at all, it's in bridge mode already.
If it's a modem gateway, then you have to configure it as bridge and provide your own router. It's possible you configured it wrong.

Also try to reset windows network.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/699e8f07-0e0d-4be3-9da9-f4094ff9746d
It’s a modem gateway in bridged mode. Yes it’s very possible my own router is configured wrong.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Regarding "all alone without my switch"

Clarify (line diagrams, ----- > Ethernet cable, ~~~~ > wireless connection) :

Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router[LAN port] -----> Switch ----- PC = slow

Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router[LAN port] -----> PC = fast

Three things to do:

Edit and correct the line diagrams as necessary to show the connections being used. Use the applicable device make and model information

Make and model switch?

Include other network devices and connectivity.
Modem-router-pc = slow
Modem-pc = fast

Not sure on the make of switch. But because of the two cenerios I wrote just above, the problem is with the router. Either configured wrong or it’s old.