[SOLVED] Router wifi is much worse than modem wifi?

Aug 18, 2020
I have a modem with built in wifi, it has no external antenna and the range is terrible, so i thought i’d get a dedicated wireless router. I connected it to the modem, but t he thing is; im getting less mbps on the router wifi than the modem wifi.

Solution
It is a modem that doesnt need other devices for wifi. I dont know what that makes it, a hybrid?

Its a technicolor tc7200 modem which i believe is pretty old.

The router i bought is a TP-LINK TL-WR740N
The speed halves from 40+mbps to 14-20mbps

Thanks!
Yes, that is a "modem/router". More accurately, a gateway.

A true modem does only one function - translate the signal from <whatever> to ethernet. <whatever> = DSL/cable/fiber/other
A router would then take that ethernet and provide LAN and WiFi to internal devices, via DHCP.

A "modem/router" has all of that in one physical box.
Like your technicolor.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a modem with built in wifi, it has no external antenna and the range is terrible, so i thought i’d get a dedicated wireless router. I connected it to the modem, but t he thing is; im getting less mbps on the router wifi than the modem wifi.
Modem
router

A "modem" does not have WiFi.
A modem/router can have WiFi.

What are the specific devices involved here?

Aug 18, 2020
Modem
router

A "modem" does not have WiFi.
A modem/router can have WiFi.

What are the specific devices involved here?
It is a modem that doesnt need other devices for wifi. I dont know what that makes it, a hybrid?

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks!
Yes, that is a "modem/router". More accurately, a gateway.

A true modem does only one function - translate the signal from <whatever> to ethernet. <whatever> = DSL/cable/fiber/other
A router would then take that ethernet and provide LAN and WiFi to internal devices, via DHCP.

A "modem/router" has all of that in one physical box.
Like your technicolor.

Solution
Not sure why the wifi is slower but the so called "new" router you bought is extremely old technology.

Both run exactly the same 802.11n data encoding that has a number "150"

The ethernet ports on modem/router are actually better they are gigabit where the new router you bought is only 10/100. That will not affect the wifi performance but the so called new router is in many ways inferior the modem/router. Then again when I searched for it I found the wr740n selling for under $15 so what do you expect for that little money.

the TC7200 is actually N300 so your gateway has 2X the bandwidth of the N150 router - so no surprise there.
and often having 2 radios helps vs. the cluttered 2.4Ghz band.

https://www.router-reset.com/info/Technicolor/TC7200

Thanks!

Last edited: